• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2011 August, September, October, etc. OCS Boards

cmcalvert

Sep-11 SNA Pro Rec
I thought it would be good to start a thread about 2011 OCS Boards for August and beyond. Any info on number of applicants, what's open, and any other info like that would be appreciated by many.

I'm looking at applying in May or June and am looking at Pilot/NFO/SWO or NFO/SWO/Supply. I haven't taken the ASTB yet so I don't have scores. 3.46 GPA in Econ and a few years experience in commercial banking. 26 yrs old in June and 10 hours towards PPL. I'm more or less indifferent between Pilot/NFO and I think I have a better chance of getting Supply than anything given my degree and experience. The only reason I'm thinking of leaving pilot out of my top 3 is because getting a spot in Supply is better than no spot at all.

Any advice or info would be appreciated!

MGoBrew11

pilot
Advice is to take the ASTB and see how you do. Don't leave what you WANT to do out because you think you will only get selected for a certain job.

If you get good ASTB scores you should be able to get pretty much whatever you want given your GPA (as long as your motivational statement and LORs are up to par or you don't have a DUI).

cmcalvert

Sep-11 SNA Pro Rec
Thanks. No DUIs, recs should be good (one is retired USAF Lt. General), and hopefully my interview and motivational statement will be good as well. Also, I was a Division I scholarship athlete -- I played golf. I know there are posts all over this website about scores and getting selected or not selected... and obviously there's no way of knowing for sure just based on scores whether or not I'll be selected or not. But with good ASTB scores, not great scores, something like 7/7/7 would I be pretty competitive? I'm trying to prepare for the ASTB as quickly as I can so I can get a package in by the May 25 deadline for the August Board, but if I wait until the June deadline, I'm thinking maybe with more preparation my scores will be better.

Any other advice? Also are there any guesses that NFO (or pilot or SWO) spots may be easier / harder to come by in the September Board vs. the Aug Board? Thanks.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Well, I'm only an applicant myself, but from reading around these parts it has been said many times: don't try to game the system.

Take the ASTB and, really no matter what your score, apply for the job that you want, not what you think is easier to get into. If you don't get selected the first time, you can change things up (retake the ASTB or apply for a different community).

There was a document floating around for awhile on the nyusn.blogspot.com site that had the average scores/GPA of people selected. It went pilot, NFO then SWO. HOWEVER, given the current environment in Naval recruiting, I would not put much stock in those numbers or assume that any community is harder or easier to get into at this point in time.

Sonog

pilot
So the ny recruiting blog posted that MEPS is now going to be required as part of the application package, not something that is done post pro rec.

I wonder how legit this is and when its going to come into effect.

cmcalvert

Sep-11 SNA Pro Rec
It's not until OCS begins that you have to meet the physical requirements as far as running, push ups, curls, and swim... right?

Lucy

cmcalvert-That is currently the case, but was not last summer, and it is likely that those physical requirements will be coming back as a requirement prior to final selecting for OCS.

Sonog

pilot
I think its pretty absurd that the PRT has no involvement in getting a pro rec.

Lucy

My OP mentioned when I was in last that the PRT will affect package when it is reinstated. No for sure but just mentioned.

Sonog

pilot
How long does a MEPS physical and flight physical stay good for? I had both done for a Marine OCC application in summer of 2009 and I'm wondering if they're still relevant.

VNE

If I remember correctly, a MEPS physical is good for 2 years. I'm not sure about the flight physical though.

fjauliveld

Flight Physicals last until the last day of the month your up-chit was signed, the following year. So, the longest it would last is one year and thirty days at most. There is the possiblility to receive an extension, but I wouldn't count on it, unless you're in an operational status.

I agree with the PFA becoming a requirement for your application. However, I'm enlisted and I have to perform a PFA twice a year.

Rurouni007

OCS Applicant (Supply Corp), NRD Los Angeles
If you want to be a Pilot/NFO, apply for those. Applying for a designator with the intention of re-designating later because it is "easier" has a couple problems:

1. It's not easy to re-designate.. 1st or 2nd op tours (2-3 years) will definitely be with the designator you come in with.

2. It's not fair to the community if you plan on re-designating.. you might not give your best, try to make connections or develop your subordinates. I know I definitely wouldn't want a JO who I knew was just hanging out waiting to leave and was just there because we were the "easy" community.

3. It's kinda like when a recruiter tells you to go enlisted as a way to be an officer :icon_wink

With all that said, I am a relatively new member of AW, so if any senior disagrees, please feel free to point it out. :icon_tong

LSJU

Has anyone heard about a May board? I don't see anything here but my daughter's (who's going for Intel) OR says there is one.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
That's funny how they now want Meps done before you apply, when I begged my recruiter to let me do that because I know I'm going to need a waiver or two, and he assured me it's a waste of my time and the Navy's money to do such a thing before even accepted.. And he never let me.. Now I have to go through all this again and possible wait for a waiver causing me to miss the next board.. This process is starting to get mundane. I'm glad I applied for grad school.