• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

ami5015

@ mike guy.. just wondering, did you use the standard materials to study? Arco, Barrons, Marine Gouge..? if so how well do you feel they prepared you for the mechanical/math section, any tips for the mechanical? Thanks man

Stalin

Am I able to calculate my ASTB scores from the amount of correct/incorrect answers on my practice tests? Is that calculation method avaliable or is it some complex algorithm?

I have searched the ASTB thread, all the gouges at my disposal and the Arco and Barrons books and can't find an answer.

Not only is it not available, from what I've heard, it's constantly being changed. The navy's goal is the average score taker to get a 50 on the OAR, so if people are getting higher scores on average, they will adjust 50 to be harder to obtain. Look here http://www.chicagomarineofficer.com/Downloads/ASTB/astboverview.pdf and if you really have time, look at mean and standard deviation of a bell curve. It will teach you a lot on how this test is scored. It's like CLEP tests and the SAT (except SAT is 200-800 rather than 20-80.)

On the ASTB, the OAR is a mean of 50 with standard deviations of 10. The other scores are a bit different, but the link I gave you will tell about it more

that mike guy

JSUPT primary @ VAFB, Enid, OK
@ mike guy.. just wondering, did you use the standard materials to study? Arco, Barrons, Marine Gouge..? if so how well do you feel they prepared you for the mechanical/math section, any tips for the mechanical? Thanks man

USE TEH SEARCH FUNKSHUN N00B!!1!!shift+1!

All kidding aside, let me address your question in several steps:

did you use the standard materials to study? Arco, Barrons, Marine Gouge..?

1) I purchased only two books to help me study so I cannot give any feedback on the other ones and don't want to speculate on how much they may have helped me had I used them. The two I used were the Officer Candidate Tests, 7th ed. and Military Flight Aptitude Tests, 5th ed., both by ARCO. While both of these books had questions in them that represented most of what I saw on my version of the test, the formats were very different. If you plan on using any books, I would highly recommend buying the most up-to-date version that you can; when you go in to take a test that will decide what you can and can't do for the rest of your life, any added comfort you can have, be it studying or familiarity with the format, can help you to do better. I strongly believe had I not been blindsided by the format differences (my own fault) that I would've scored a bit higher.

2) The other materials I used were atrickpay's outline (post #27 in this link) and the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge put out by the FAA.

Atrickpay's study guide is just that; a study guide (albeit a very good one). Don't depend solely on this for your studying or you probably won't do too well. Use this as an outline; if you find something you don't know and there is only a sentence or two about it on this guide, look it up on the internet/FAA handbook. In regards to the exact material on my test, I don't know what I am and am not allowed to say, so I will just say everything down to the last page (as seemingly pointless and as far away from your improving your ability to fly a plane as it may seem) can appear on the test.

The FAA book is far too lengthy to read multiple times and be used effectively as a study guide, however there are certain sections that can very valuable to one's studying. For example, I put a year towards my Master's degree in mechanical/aeronautical engineering so I only briefly skimmed over the parts involving the physics behind flight, but I spent a good deal more time studying airport operations, airspace, and navigation. The sections that will benefit you the most will depend on your background so all I can do is point to this resource.

how well do you feel they [ARCO books] prepared you for the mechanical/math section?

3) As I mentioned in (1), the ARCO books were good when it came to actual test material. Once again, do yourself a favor and buy the newest editions of whichever study aids you end up using; familiarization goes a long way in staying calm while taking the test. These books were best for their math, verbal, mechanical, and spatial apperception sections. While the information in the aviation/nautical info section was good, those two sections on the actual test are about general knowledge of the subject matter. This knowledge comes from studying all available material and/or being around and familiar with aviation from day to day. In the link I provided in my previous post, it mentions at one point something along the lines of these [aviation/nautical and supplemental etc.] subtests being the easiest categories to improve upon for this reason; most people can memorize new info, but many people have problems with or cannot learn new problem solving skills. Back to the question asked. The types of questions found in these sections in the book were pretty closely representative of the types that you will likely see on your test. Do the practice tests from both books backwards and forwards. Hopefully this will mix you up and remove the "I memorized the answer to the second question" factor from practicing. Don't worry about time at first; work through them all, find out what you need to work on, dissect those problems in their entirety, then go back and do the tests again. Once you know how to do 90+% of the problems, start timing yourself and trying to finish in the allotted time.

any tips for the mechanical?

4) ALL of the mechanical info should have been covered in your high school or introductory college physics class. If you took neither, read the ARCO books to see the types of problems, then start searching the internet. Textbooks can be expensive, but you should be able to find a no longer used, slightly older edition of an introductory physics text book for cheap on amazon. Your library might also be worth checking out as some have large catalogs of textbooks.

If you did have one/both of those physics classes, reading both ARCO books should refresh your memory enough; if you can do the mechanical subtests in the ARCO books in the allotted time, you should be good. Atrickpay's guide is also good for a quick review. While I wouldn't study solely from his guide, it does have about 2 pages of solid, bullet pointed facts/formulas about the mechanical section. Once you are good on the mechanical section, the mechanical portion of his guide is a good way to quickly review.

Off the top of my head, the mechanical problems consisted of the following types of problems (there may be more but this is all I recall from my test):
  • pulleys - pulleys anchored to a stationary object only change direction and do not increase mechanical advantage. Through a pulley system: know force required to move object/how far an object will move given delta at one end of the system
  • inclined planes - know mechanical advantage of these
  • gears, wheels, and other rotational objects - on a given disc, rotational speed is the same but tangential velocity changes with location. directions in a gear system
  • levers - calculate mechanical advantage of a lever system. balance moments on a lever to find force required to lift x load @ point y

Thanks man

Glad to be able to help out. A few last words of wisdom.

Spatial Apperception. Even though you may take it on the computer, the images you will be shown are still very poorly drawn (one of mine had been smudged, erased, and a line hand re-drawn back on to the image before scanning into the system) and very grainy. You have a more than enough time on this section so answer carefully.

Take time to read each question. Sometimes you will be given more info than you need and could discard more than half of the given information. This time savings equates to more time on a tougher question.

Relax. I know I said this test determines partly what you can and cannot do the rest of your life, but remember, you can take it 3 times. Try (I know, it's not easy) to put yourself in the calm state of mind. Panicking is the last thing you have time for while taking this test. The day before you go in, study for a few hours before lunch, then take the rest of the afternoon to do something fun. get a good night sleep and make sure to eat a balanced breakfast before taking the test. Don't gorge yourself on a giant breakfast or lunch that your body isn't used to; the last thing you have time for is a #2 in the middle of one of your test sections.

Because my background is full of math, science, and physics, I cannot safely attribute my scores solely to doing exactly what I have just relayed in this message. However I am confident that if you take my advice, I believe you will be as well prepared as possible for this test. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask on here, PM, or call and I'll do my best to help out.

Link to FAA handbook and atrickpay's study guide taken from other posts on this forum, thanks to the guys who posted them and pointed me in the right direction initially.

Disclaimer: Although I scored well on my ASTB, my package has just been sent in and I won't know for another month or so whether or not I will have earned a flight spot. Take this info at face value and do with it what you will. I am not responsible should you receive a bad score, however if you do well, you should attribute it all to me (lol I kid).

EDIT: went back to finish and add in more info to the mechanical section.

Reactions: VNE

that mike guy

Nice!! I hope you're not in my selection boards :D. Right after the test I told my recruiter I thought I wanted to retake it; when he saw my score he told me I would be crazy to do so. I know I would've done better (maybe a 9 or two and jumped to the 70-73 range) had I done a bit more research and studied on the right format. However after doing a bit more looking into the scoring system, I'm content with my scores.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

Stalin

I'm in the October boards. But in all honesty, like I tell people, if you're getting 7s and 8s and a high 60, a better package can beat 9s and 70s. I've even seen some people that got 6s and 7s that I think damn, they are squared away, president of this and that. Takes more than a brain to fly a plane and lead sailors :)

VTJEZ

Does this link still work?

YES! USE THIS! I made a 9/9/9/73, and I attribute a big part of it to his study guide. USE IT! USE IT! USE IT!

Is this link still active? I'm trying to get atrickpay's outline, but the link that i'm using, i can't seem to get to work.

Does anyone have another copy of it or a working link? Thanks in advance.

cameron172

pilot
I took the ASTB this morning. Got an 8/8/8 67. Not too bad!

I studied everyday for about three weeks using the Barron's Book, Arco Book and the marine gouge I found here on AirWarriors. I can go into detail about my test and my impressions if anyone wants it.

cameron172

pilot
Scratch that, I looked over the Marine Gouge but didn't take too much from it. However, I studied these relentlessly:

Atrickpay's:
http://www.vanavyofficerprograms.com/MATH_SKILLS.pdf
http://www.vanavyofficerprograms.com...PREHENSION.pdf
http://www.vanavyofficerprograms.com/AVIATION.pdf

I figure the more times they're posted, the more chances someone has of running into them! The math skills takes questions straight from the sample tests in Barron's/Arco and I actually had quite a few similar problems on the real ASTB.

nukon

pilot
Took it today on that damn computer with extremely limited study.. 5/5/5 50. Needless to say, less than thrilled. Gonna check out those links posted above and retake in 31 days time.

Saleen_Stang532

Just took it an hour ago. Got a 7/7/6 56. Here's some advice based on the books I bought/studied:

Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests: Math section was helpful but the real test was much easier; I didn't need to know any conversions (quarts, pints, gallons, tons, pounds, ounces, inches, centimeters) or volume formulas (for cones, cylinders, spheres, pyramids). Reading was great except for vocab, there was no vocab on the test or fill in the blank sentences. Mechanical was very helpful but on the real test there's only 3 multiple choice options and the questions are little less difficult. Spatial apperception was great, although on the real test you won't get quite as good quality of pictures and there's several wrong answers in the study guide. Aviation/Nautical was PERFECT...study this!

Arco (Peterson's) Military Flight Aptitude Tests: Math is way too difficult in this book compared to the real test, good practice though. Reading is spot on, a little on the easy side compared to the real test though. Mechanical is really good, some of the questions are hard to understand and are a little more difficult than the real test. Spatial apperception is perfect!...a few wrong answers though. Aviation/Nautical is also great!

Barron's Mechanical Aptitude and Spatial Relations Test: Really good, simplified way of understanding mechanical questions better. Don't worry about the tool's section though, there are no questions on that.

Arco GRE/GMAT Math Review: Quite helpful breakdown of math concepts. Great refresher, don't worry about taking the tests though. Just study the chapters.

Instrument Rating FAA Test Guide: Convoluted and useless.

How to Solve Word Problems in Algebra: Useless in too many ways.

ASTB Marine Gouge (pdf): Every section is quite helpful, especially the Aviation/Nautical section.

A breakdown of the sections on the real test:

Math: Time is the factor, not difficulty. Hopefully your computer doesn't freeze and cause you to lose 3 minutes though. You don't need to know any conversions (quarts, pints, gallons, tons, pounds, ounces, inches, centimeters) or volume formulas (for cones, cylinders, spheres, pyramids). Circumfrence is a given formula. Practice real algebra: x+3=9 for example. Practice, practice, practice.

Reading: Understand the answer can either only be a. inferred from the passage or b. is stated within the passage. Just because I say I hate cake, doesn't mean I hate all desserts. Practice isn't essential, understand the aforementioned process of inference is though.

Mechanical: Pulleys, mechanical advantage, pressure, heat transfer, inclines, fulcrums, mass vs. weight. Basic physics principles. There are only 3 multiple choice options BTW. A physics course and a little work ethic will make this section easy as pie. Understand physics, practice is helpful.

Spatial: Practice, practice, practice. Say everything aloud to reassure the right answer. The pictures are horrible quality too. Practice, practice, practice.

Aviation/Nautical: Memorize everything you can. I didn't have any history questions such as: how many Apollo Missions, who is Yuri Gagarin, what is the Pioneer 10. These are all examples of gouge I was told to memorize but didn't see any of. Know principles of flight, Rules of the Road (Right of Way), lapse rate, clouds, exterior flight instruments (ailerons, elevators, rudder), radio transponder #s, and flight instruments. Practice is useless, this is all about memorization.

Supplemental: I had nothing math, reading, or spatial related. Figure out what P-factor, RMI, and Load Limit Factor are because I had absolutely no idea. Memorization is key.

A little disclaimer; this is what I encountered. Just because I didn't have any history questions or questions required conversions doesn't mean you won't. I didn't see a one though. Good luck!

njk1

that guy mike, or anyone else who has taken the ASTB reciently:

Can you please address the format change to the ASTB that you mentioned in post #1239? What do you mean by a format change? Does the exam look nothing like the practice tests that are included in the study guides that you recommended?

Also, is it important to study engines for the mechanical portion of the OAR? I remember reading at www.usnavyocs.com that questions on engines appear on the mechanical portion.

Thank you!

that mike guy

Can you please address the format change to the ASTB that you mentioned in post #1239? What do you mean by a format change? Does the exam look nothing like the practice tests that are included in the study guides that you recommended?

See post #1242.
To summarize, I bought the book that was recommended to me, but I did not buy the latest edition. Both of the books that I listed were good study aids, but the Military Flight Aptitude Test was the 5th Ed. It still had a biographical section listed rather than the new Aviation Supplemental Test. I simply didn't study quite all of the material that I should have and was blindsided when I first saw it on the computer screen. The new format of the ASTB (showing the AST instead of the BI) can be found on page 2 of the attached PDF here. I have not checked the latest edition of this book to make sure that it has the up-to-date sections, but I would be willing to bet that it does. If you have the 5th ed. don't panic, just disregard the biographical section (not that you should study for that anyways) and spend some more time with aviation resources.

Also, is it important to study engines for the mechanical portion of the OAR? I remember reading at www.usnavyocs.com that questions on engines appear on the mechanical portion.

I didn't have any questions regarding either internal combustion or any sort of turbine engine; whether they exist [on the mechanical sub-section] or not, I couldn't tell you. I can say that based on my test and all of the different Mechanical Comprehension examples I have seen, it seems that this section is more interested in testing your knowledge of basic physics problems rather than your knowledge on the inner workings of any type of engine. The FAA handbook does cover the fundamentals of different types of engines but ever so lightly. I think its safe to say you are unlikely to see any questions about propulsion systems, even in either of the aeronautical sections (with the possible exception of those that are common sense for anyone with the slightest bit of knowledge of how aircraft work). But remember, just because I didn't have them doesn't mean they don't exist; can anyone else confirm/squash engine mechanics and/or principles being on any area of the test??