• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

GreenLantern330

I just took the ASTB today and got 6/6/8 57. My first choice is SNA, I am currently a freshman in college so I do not have a GPA yet. I am apart of the swim club at college and will be doing a lot of volunteering. Are chances high for me to receive an SNA spot?

If you're a college freshman, why not NROTC? Unless of course your school doesn't offer it. If that's the case, I would say to just try and get as perfect of a GPA and as involved as you can from now while your classes aren't that hard, and then when you get enough credits or are within the time frame to be eligible for BDCP, apply with your current score. If they say no, retake it then reapply.

jtmedli

pilot
Ok, I think I better understand how the scores work now. But just to be clear then the percentiles assigned to the numbers in the fy 2004 document are probably still relevant?

Sorry for the late reply. 2004? I would say probably not relevant. Maybe close, but not relevant.

jtmedli

pilot
I was simply relaying what I was told by the recruiter who runs the NY Naval Recruiting Blog.

There's a thread about that blog here. Go check it out. 'Nuff said.

Careful with the gouge. Recruiters aren't omniscient by any means. 3 words: Whole Person Concept. As has been said 100 times, the OAR is not everything.

E

ebolamonkey

Oops. My bad. I take it back after seeing the referred threads about that NY recruiter.

jtmedli

pilot

I was being somewhat sarcastic. There was another sentence after that one that consisted of "quit nuking it". If a test is scored on a percentile basis then high score = good, more rare and low score = bad, more common. You don't need to look up the 'point spread' to tell that. So yeah, scores from 2004 aren't really relevant.

Everybody now has to take a similar test before starting IFS.

WTF is the point of that?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I was being somewhat sarcastic. There was another sentence after that one that consisted of "quit nuking it". If a test is scored on a percentile basis then high score = good, more rare and low score = bad, more common. You don't need to look up the 'point spread' to tell that. So yeah, scores from 2004 aren't really relevant.

WTF is the point of that?

The brains at NAMRL have everyone take it. They need a baseline to determine how to score the damn thing. The larger the sample population the better the results.

Not sure Marines are taking it in conjunction with IFS. I seem to remember showing up to the MOC one day and was told to go take it. We also filled out 4 or 5 personality surveys of 300 questions each, and were told to do different things with them. (Answer them honestly, answer them how you think they would want you to, answer how you think they wouldn't want you to, etc...)

jtmedli

pilot
The brains at NAMRL have everyone take it. They need a baseline to determine how to score the damn thing. The larger the sample population the better the results.

Not sure Marines are taking it in conjunction with IFS. I seem to remember showing up to the MOC one day and was told to go take it. We also filled out 4 or 5 personality surveys of 300 questions each, and were told to do different things with them. (Answer them honestly, answer them how you think they would want you to, answer how you think they wouldn't want you to, etc...)

That sounds like a blast. Are they doing this for the guys that are skipping IFS too?

GreenLantern330

Just got off the phone with my OR. Says he knows nothing/has heard nothing about the ASTB changing any time soon. Then again... ORs are known to have conflicting information all the time.

*Sigh* I guess I'll just have to keep studying the guides I already have been using and pray there's no joystick when I walk in.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Just got off the phone with my OR. Says he knows nothing/has heard nothing about the ASTB changing any time soon. Then again... ORs are known to have conflicting information all the time.

*Sigh* I guess I'll just have to keep studying the guides I already have been using and pray there's no joystick when I walk in.

Relax. It's a video game, there really isn't any way to study for it. If you have to take then do so. If you don't, so be it.

ryan1234

The TBAS was sort of a bear... 'course I can barely rub my head and pat my belly...er wait...pat my head and rub my belly...