• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

ryan1234

I don't know why many of you don't get it... The FAA handbooks are broad material. For the aviation section:

Gleims Private Pilot Written Test Study Guide has the aviation questions VERBATIM as they appear on the ASTB. The guide is designed for cramming.

njk1

that mike guy:

I've used the 4th edition of Arco's "Military Flight Aptitude Tests" to help me prepare for the OAR. I found the 7th edition on amazon.com for $54, used, however I'd like to know if the two editions are really that much different, and if they are, HOW are they different?

to anyone else who still reads this thread:

I'm taking the OAR portion of the exam by the end of this month and have studied all my study materials, which consist of the 4th edition of the "Military Flight Aptitude Tests", Barron's "Officer Candidate School Test" (Found here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0764128930/ref=rdr_ext_sb_pi_sims_3), and gouge that I've pulled from this, as well as other various forms around the internet.

Where can I go for new study material? Is it helpful to study questions on the ASVAB? Please let me know!

that mike guy

JSUPT primary @ VAFB, Enid, OK
The math, verbal, and mechanical that make up the OAR are all very similar across all of the study guides I have seen; you should do well studying these from any book. The spatial apperception and aviation & nautical information were also the same in Military Flight Aptitude Tests, 5th ed. as they were on my test. If you can do each of these sections in the alloted time you shouldn't have any problems on the test.

My advice to get the latest edition was more or less for people who are about to start studying and have yet to purchase anything; if you already have a version that isn't the latest edition, personally I wouldn't go out and buy another. There may be no major differences between 4th and 6th (latest I can find) ed, I just do not know. I have to run some errands later and one of them just so happens to be at a bookstore; I'll check for you :D. I can tell you though that the biographical info section (no reason to study for it anyways as it is just a bunch of background info on you) is no longer on the ASTB and an aviation subtest has replaced it.

gbpxnick

Question about Mech. Comprehension...took my ASTB OAR portion cold turkey because my recruiter asked me to not study so I know what to study after my first time around. I landed a 46 :(. Got 2 problems I need some input on so I can better my next test:

I revised the questions so it is not dead on from the official test.

First problem, not all of the houses will get the needed water supply, the answer choices were: A.1,2,3 (obviously not an answer if the questions tells you not all of them will get sufficient water supply) B. 1,2 and C 1, 3.

I guessed the obvious answer from common sense: B. Nonetheless, is there a trick to this in terms of conflicts with water pressure calculation VS the varies heights of each house that I am not understanding?

second problem, I thought this problem was simply to use the basic equation of 10ft*F = 3ft*40lb to find the applied force (12lb) needed to balance the lever..however 12lb was not the answer nor was it any of the choices. Is this the test written in error or did I miscalculated something?

5197944404_16ed48a52c_z.jpg

shutout39

pilot
Not sure what form you took, I took form 4 and I remember questions similar on my test too. I am pretty sure that the answer to the first question is B...at least that's what I put. There is no way we could assume any pressure or pump coming from the water tower, just the ability to understand that the water cannot go into tower C.

For the second question, think of it as a counterclockwise force and a clockwise force that will need to be equal. I believe you have that concept down, but the trick is that the lever is 13 feet long, not 10. So you have 40*3 (counterclockwise) = 13*x (clockwise). The answer would be 9.2.

gbpxnick

Yeah, I think that's what I had missed. Yes I took form 4. What did you get? The MEPS in my area had a 10 year old monitor..it was blurry as hell and I did really bad on the reading comprehension because I couldn't focus on the monitor....I brought it up to the test staffs but they rebuttal and say oh..that's how it is..do you wear glasses? I told him..no I don't..and i was thinking in my head "but you do"..but he said yea..this is the only monitor.

I am retaking my ASTB at another MEPS which is about 2 hours away just to avoid that monitor..just incase I get form 5..which I heard is the most difficult.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
For a test in which you only get 3 chances in a lifetime, your recruiter telling you to take it without studying seems like pretty poor advice. I'm not sure I would go back to that one if it were me.

shutout39

pilot
6/7/7/ 52.... pretty dissapointed with the OAR but my recruiter at NRD New England says it'll be alright with my package. He also has submitted my packaged for a so called December board which apparently is not happening lol. I am thinking about retaking before the April board because I know I made some silly mistakes and could have been more prepared for the aviation knowledge.

Deere1450

pilot
8/8/9 60 Test Form 5

Study Material in order of usefulness:

1) Arco
2) Barron's
3) Atrickpay's Study Guide

Having a pilot's certificate certainly came in handy (obviously not too handy considering I did not get a 9 on the PFAR socre). This, however was the extent of my arsenal. I listed Arco and Barron's before Atrickpay's study guide simply because I had to get the timing aspect of the test nailed. I would recommend understanding EVERY problem presented on each of the practice tests, and THEN work on your timing. For those who want a point of reference, I went through each test about 4 times. On the fifth time, I had about 3-10 minutes on each section to spare and missed maybe 1 or 2 per section. Atrickpay's study guide was a great refresher. It would be a good idea to make flash cards of all the material on Atrickpay's guide. It's a solid move for those that aren't familiar with aviation/nautical material and terms.

Best of Luck!

gbpxnick

Those are some good scores since I heard form 5 isn't the best test to get. I'd have been happy with those scores..but I am only going for SWO-IW..what do i know

Hartt951

Just took it for the first time this past week and I got a 4/4/5 and I needed 4/6/4. I'm basically only going the aviation route so I can be accepted to OCS and once I'm OCS complete I can drop that contract and sign a ground contract, so flying isn't really a big interest to me, and a lot of the aviation stuff was foreign to me. I bought the Arco Military Flight Aptitude Test Book, and I got a ton of gouge online and from my OSO, but it's pretty apparent I didn't know what I need to know, so basically for those of you with the amazing scores, what did you use to study?

gbpxnick

Wait what? Ground contract? What about your OAR score? I don't even think 4/4/5 would be competitive for Intel. From my understanding from ur post, you want to be pro rec for a pilot slot and drop it after OCS? Even if that's possible, you just ruined someone's life who actually worked their ass off for a pilot slot that they want to KEEP. Plus, can you or someone explain what's a ground contract? I didn't know USN offers Navy officer applicants such thing.

Most people use 3 things. Gouges, Arco Book, and Barron's. Not knowing your OAR, can't really tell what you need to brush up on. I would assume Math and Mechanics hurt everyone the most, so get a SAT prep book and intro to mechanics and physics. I believe Barron's also has a mechanical and spatial appreceptions book that's helpful. FAA book, research, research, research. Memorizing does nothing, knowing what each words mean and understanding the concept as a whole will give your retake a better score.

TheBirdy

pilot
Just took it for the first time this past week and I got a 4/4/5 and I needed 4/6/4. I'm basically only going the aviation route so I can be accepted to OCS and once I'm OCS complete I can drop that contract and sign a ground contract, so flying isn't really a big interest to me, and a lot of the aviation stuff was foreign to me. I bought the Arco Military Flight Aptitude Test Book, and I got a ton of gouge online and from my OSO, but it's pretty apparent I didn't know what I need to know, so basically for those of you with the amazing scores, what did you use to study?

Why would you apply as SNA/NFO then try to go for something else after you graduate from OCS? First off you're taking up a SNA/NFO spot for no reason, when someone who actually wants it deserves it. I'm not in the Navy but from what I have read it is difficult to get lateral transfers and you shouldn't count on them. Even then, put down what you WANT not what would get you there. If you take the time to study all the aviation stuff and score well on all sections of the ASTB you might as well go for SNA/NFO. And if you want a "ground contract" I'm gonna assume you're talking about SWO..perhaps IW or Intel, just take the OAR part of the ASTB and save yourself the hassle..my 0.02

To answer your question at hand: I used the Marine gouge, atrickpay's study guide, FAA handbook, some random websites with basic plane/boat parts, ARCO Military Flight Aptitude Test book. Scored 7/7/7 58.

Lucy

He's talking about going Marine Officer, not Naval Officer, hence the min. score and the air vs. ground contract commentary.

Hartt951

Yeah. I'm going Marine Officer not Naval. I'm a freshman trying to get into PLC Juniors, and they only have 1 Ground Contract spot which is already filled, but they have 3 Air Contract spots. The whole signing up as Air and then dropping when your done with OCS is common practice now I guess and my OSO told me that this was the best route for me to take. My OAR was 49, but like I said I'm going for Marine Officer, so the only thing they care about is me getting a 4/6/4. I just found atrickpay's study guide and that seems pretty useful.