• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
By doing what? Beating off and changing channels on the TV at the same time?
Wow. Yeah. No.

I programmed stuff in MATLAB. And then promptly reformatted my hard drive after use.

edit:

er, um. More related to what you so eloquently suggested, on the airforceots.com forum somewheres someone had posted a link to a really interesting multi-tasking java game. Aside from the multi-tasking side it's not relevant to the TBAS at all, but still kinda fun.

http://www.dabontv.com/game956.html

And from the same thread, this one is for reaction times.

http://www.youshock.com/skills/sheep_reaction_test/#

jtmedli

pilot
Wow. Yeah. No.

I programmed stuff in MATLAB. And then promptly reformatted my hard drive after use.

edit:

er, um. More related to what you so eloquently suggested, on the airforceots.com forum somewheres someone had posted a link to a really interesting multi-tasking java game. Aside from the multi-tasking side it's not relevant to the TBAS at all, but still kinda fun.

http://www.dabontv.com/game956.html

And from the same thread, this one is for reaction times.

http://www.youshock.com/skills/sheep_reaction_test/#

After reviewing the links you've posted, I've concluded that my idea would be more fun and equally as productive. Quit nuking it.

GreenLantern330

Haha ok I get it.. there's no way to study for it. To be honest, only reason I was kinda freaking out was because I had never heard of the TBAS before so I had no clue what it even was. Now I'm a little more informed. Thanks for the responses everyone!

jtmedli

pilot
Haha ok I get it.. there's no way to study for it. To be honest, only reason I was kinda freaking out was because I had never heard of the TBAS before so I had no clue what it even was. Now I'm a little more informed. Thanks for the responses everyone!

All you need to know about the TBAS is that it's a PITA and when you're finished you'll feel like you've just wasted an hour of your life.

And as always, the first rule of the TBAS club is that we don't talk about the TBAS!! (You'll get the fight club reference/joke after you take the test)

Acart

Hey all I was wondering if anyone know about the supplement sections of the text, I know when I took the ASTB before that I got pretty much all aviation questions, I am just wondering if anyone has ever heard of like a all math, mechanical, or anything like that supplement section.

Thanks

marathonman

Just took the ASTB for a second time. Don't feel too hot about it, I'm pretty bummed. Then again I felt the exact same way the first time I took it and did pretty well but was told to retake because it's more competitive nowadays. I really hope I don't get burned, it will quite literally change the course that my life is on.

Acart

I feel you pain marathon, I did alright the fist time but not as well as I had hoped so I decided to take it again. When I retook my AQR
PFAR, and FOFAR all went up by 1 point, but my OAR went down 2......

marathonman

So yeah, I ended up going from a 56 to a 47. Very disappointed, and the earliest I can retake is 90 days (well 83 now I suppose). Doubtful that a 47 is going to do anything for me, so either time to look to another branch or just wait another 3 months and hope to do better.

What's the must frustrating is that I had a number of study sources, and with those I feel I did pretty well in the math and extremely well in the reading comprehension, but there were a number of questions in mechanical that I had no idea about. I mean I had never even seen examples like those before. Not to say its anyones fault, but if I studied as much as I did (and it was for a number of weeks) and saw maybe 40% of what was on the test, it makes me want to go 'wtf?'

Acart

Ya my stack of study materials is approaching 2ft tall. It is quite daunting, I feel that math is one of my weaker areas on the test, not because I am not good at math but because I have not had to do math with out a calculator since I finished algebra in the 7th grade...oh well i am determined to do better!!

jtmedli

pilot
Ya my stack of study materials is approaching 2ft tall. It is quite daunting, I feel that math is one of my weaker areas on the test, not because I am not good at math but because I have not had to do math with out a calculator since I finished algebra in the 7th grade...oh well i am determined to do better!!

You shouldn't need a calculator for the ASTB. It's not multi-variable calculus, it's multiplying and dividing a couple numbers. The ARCO book should be enough studying material. Use the AFOQT sections as well to study with. They have similar problems.

cameron172

pilot
Am I able to calculate my ASTB scores from the amount of correct/incorrect answers on my practice tests? Is that calculation method avaliable or is it some complex algorithm?

I have searched the ASTB thread, all the gouges at my disposal and the Arco and Barrons books and can't find an answer.

that mike guy

JSUPT primary @ VAFB, Enid, OK
I just took the ASTB last week; it was on computer with no biographical info section. Is this the new normal version, and, if so, how far behind am I on knowing that the format i studied for was no where near what I saw when I took the test??

EDIT: nvm, found the info I was looking for here. I wish I had've known of the format change before taking the ASTB, but that's my own fault (still did well though, 8/8/8/69).