• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Sonog

pilot
Does anyone know if there is any more recent charts or graphs of ASTB score distributions more recent than the pdf file about astb overview from fy 2004? i.e. Is there any way to know what percentile your scores? I figure that the distribution definitely has shifted since 2004 since slots are getting more and more competitive and the astb is getting retaken more and more.

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
Once you take the test, your percentile is frozen in time. At the time you took the test, you were in X percentile. (While the scores "translate" to percentiles, the scores are really just rounded integers to represent your percentiles and not how many you got right on the test). You are still technically "X" percentile. If your question is, could I take the test and score better/worse than I did last time because the average score went down/up then it's hard to guess. I would wager that it hasn't changed that much.

Someone asked your same question here too, http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php/140582-ASTB-Distribution

edit: sorry, I didn't answer your question or help you.

jtmedli

pilot
Once you take the test, your percentile is frozen in time. At the time you took the test, you were in X percentile. (While the scores "translate" to percentiles, the scores are really just rounded integers to represent your percentiles and not how many you got right on the test). You are still technically "X" percentile. If your question is, could I take the test and score better/worse than I did last time because the average score went down/up then it's hard to guess. I would wager that it hasn't changed that much.

Someone asked your same question here too, http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php/140582-ASTB-Distribution

edit: sorry, I didn't answer your question or help you.

In other words: The ASTB is scored on a percentile basis based on your first score, not the retakes.

FWIW, the AFOQT is scored purely on a percentile basis as well. For example, my scores were 99-pilot 94-nav 92-quantitative 82-verbal 90something - academic total. 99th percentile being good. 30th percentile being bad. Hope that helps.

Sonog

pilot
In other words: The ASTB is scored on a percentile basis based on your first score, not the retakes.

FWIW, the AFOQT is scored purely on a percentile basis as well. For example, my scores were 99-pilot 94-nav 92-quantitative 82-verbal 90something - academic total. 99th percentile being good. 30th percentile being bad. Hope that helps.

Ok, I think I better understand how the scores work now. But just to be clear then the percentiles assigned to the numbers in the fy 2004 document are probably still relevant?

Mattster

uhh just took it today.

6 7 7 with a OAR 55.

however i have a 2.8 gpa (sigh)

have a private pilot's license

anyone have odds on this?

GreenLantern330

Depends on the rest of your package. Depends on who your competition is. Boards look at the whole person concept. If you don't get in, I'd study and retake the ASTB. I think the new average score (of pro recs) is a 60 with 7s or 8s all across.

Please use the search function, these sorts of "what are my chances" type questions don't usually get answered. They're hard to answer, as no one here knows 100% what the board is looking for or thinking when convening. Your chances are just as good as anyone else's.

Best of luck.

Mattster

thanks for the quick response. It was form 4. i understand that nobody really knows - i believe the rest of my package will be strong. I have good extra curricular, a descent essay, strong recs and strong prt.. I'm just crossing my fingers. I slacked a little too much as a college freshman.

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
Ok, I think I better understand how the scores work now. But just to be clear then the percentiles assigned to the numbers in the fy 2004 document are probably still relevant?
Yes. I don't have any sources to back me up, but it's very likely.

Sonog

pilot
I wish they told you how many you got wrong. I bet the difference between a 6, 7, or 8 is just a question or two wrong.

SLH350

pilot
Just FYI, what I said before about them updating the test, I went in to run a PFT the other day and my OSO's office had just received a joystick in the mail to accompany the revised test, so its looking like what they said may be true.

GreenLantern330

So then if this whole flight simulator (or w/e the joystick part of the test would be called) is really gonna happen... any clues on how to study/prepare for that?

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
I wish they told you how many you got wrong. I bet the difference between a 6, 7, or 8 is just a question or two wrong.
Actually, this is true (especially between 8 and 9). Hence, the importance in getting as many right as you can.

So then if this whole flight simulator (or w/e the joystick part of the test would be called) is really gonna happen... any clues on how to study/prepare for that?
My money is on a test similar to the TBAS. If you want to practice for that...there's already tons of gouge out there if you can find it (mainly on airforceots.com and wantscheck.com).

It might be different enough that it doesn't make sense to look up the TBAS, but given that military flight schools are probably looking for a similar aptitude, I would think the former is true.

GreenLantern330

My money is on a test similar to the TBAS. If you want to practice for that...there's already tons of gouge out there if you can find it (mainly on airforceots.com and wantscheck.com).

It might be different enough that it doesn't make sense to look up the TBAS, but given that military flight schools are probably looking for a similar aptitude, I would think the former is true.

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated. Will ask my OR what he thinks too.

jtmedli

pilot
above 60 OAR = good
below 60 OAR = bad

That's a little vague don't ya think? My scores were 8/8/8/57 so do you think that was a bad score?
(Hint: <--look over there)

@ashelb: That's not a bad score, but also not amazing either. My advice would be to wait and get some college classes under your belt before you retake it. Namely some math classes, and a physics or two, will bump that score up above 60+ and into the 8's in every category. You're still young so don't put the cart before the horse. Focus on your first year of classes, keeping that GPA up, and staying in good shape. That should be the biggest concerns for you right now.

Edit: I would add 'chasing skirt' to the above list!!