• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

GreenLantern330

Doing more math and came over another problem.

6M-16s and 4 pistols cost J dollars. 4 M-16s and 6 pistols cost T dollars which of the following represents the cost of one M-16 and one pistol?

The answer was 1/10(J+T). I was nowhere near that when I worked it out...

For all real numbers x and y, x*=y(x+1)
If -4*j=6, then j=

This one just completely confused me. I'm not sure how to even begin solving this one. The answer is 2.

If the fuel mixture requires 8 ½ gallons of gasoline how many gallons would be needed for ¼ of the mixture?

For some reason I keep getting really awkward numbers. The answer is 7/8.

MGoBrew11

pilot
For your first question, you need to find the sum of the two equations.

In other words 6M + 4P = J and 4M + 6P = T.....SO
10M + 10P = J + T -------> M+P = (J+T)/10

For your third one, set up the proportions. (8.5gallons/x gallons) = (1 full mixture/.25 mixture)

Not sure I understand your second question either.

marathonman

So if anyone can help, one topic I've never been particularly clear on is the whole circuit diagram, and I can't find any place in Barron's, ARCO, etc that explains it in great detail. If you look at the Marine gauge for example, there's a series circuit with resistor Rx on top that = 10 ohms. Resistor Ry is on the bottom = 5 ohms. Point A lies on the top left corner, Point B the top right. The battery lies on the right side of the circuit with an arrow pointing up.

One question is 'If the current leaves the battery in the direction shown, what is the direction of the current in resistor x? a) A b) B c) There is no current in the resistor
My question is why wouldn't it be in the direction of the arrow? There's nothing indicating switching or anything like that. I don't really understand the meaning of the question.

The next question is 'The voltage drop is greater across which resistor?' Is there some principle or formula I should know for this? Some general rule?

As you can tell, I've never taken physics or electronics or anything of the sort. Anyone who can help with anything on this topic, I'll buy you beer. Or at least send you some coupons.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
The next question is 'The voltage drop is greater across which resistor?' Is there some principle or formula I should know for this? Some general rule?

As you can tell, I've never taken physics or electronics or anything of the sort. Anyone who can help with anything on this topic, I'll buy you beer. Or at least send you some coupons.

I can't help you with your first question without seeing the diagram myself. So for this question use this equation.

E=I*R

E= Voltage
I= Current
R= Resistance

If your Resistance is increased then the Voltage drop across the Resistor is increased as long as Current remains constant. It is simple multiplication. Make sense?

that mike guy

JSUPT primary @ VAFB, Enid, OK
Based on the description you've given, I've done my best to explain the first question. If it is a single loop circuit (looks like a single box, no splitting off after the voltage source), then the current would indeed be following the path that the battery indicates; that is if it leaves the battery going upward and counter-clockwise, it would continue counter-clockwise through the rest of the circuit.

Twobe answered the 2nd question well enough and the E=I*R (or V=I*R) is the main formula you will need for circuit problems. To find the voltage drop across Rx, do the following:

Vx=I*Rx/Rsum

This formula works for this case because it is a simple series circuit; don't try to apply it to a parallel circuit or it won't work. There aren't that many rules to remember for simple, resistor only circuits so it would probably be worthwhile to find a study guide at your local bookstore that would lay out how resistors work in simple series and parallel configurations with current or voltage sources.

GreenLantern330

For your first question, you need to find the sum of the two equations.

In other words 6M + 4P = J and 4M + 6P = T.....SO
10M + 10P = J + T -------> M+P = (J+T)/10

For your third one, set up the proportions. (8.5gallons/x gallons) = (1 full mixture/.25 mixture)

Not sure I understand your second question either.

Thanks for the help.

For question 3, I did set up a proportion, the exact same one you used and I would always get 2.125 and since it says the answer is 7/8 then there has to be something wrong with the proportion or my math just sucks.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Thanks for the help.

For question 3, I did set up a proportion, the exact same one you used and I would always get 2.125 and since it says the answer is 7/8 then there has to be something wrong with the proportion or my math just sucks.

No problem.

I just did the math for the proportions and you are right, it does not give 7/8. I don't think you need to worry about that one.

marathonman

Based on the description you've given, I've done my best to explain the first question. If it is a single loop circuit (looks like a single box, no splitting off after the voltage source), then the current would indeed be following the path that the battery indicates; that is if it leaves the battery going upward and counter-clockwise, it would continue counter-clockwise through the rest of the circuit.

Twobe answered the 2nd question well enough and the E=I*R (or V=I*R) is the main formula you will need for circuit problems. To find the voltage drop across Rx, do the following:

Vx=I*Rx/Rsum

This formula works for this case because it is a simple series circuit; don't try to apply it to a parallel circuit or it won't work. There aren't that many rules to remember for simple, resistor only circuits so it would probably be worthwhile to find a study guide at your local bookstore that would lay out how resistors work in simple series and parallel configurations with current or voltage sources.

Thanks a lot for your help, both you you. I think I'm getting the hang of it, gonna swing by the bookstore and see what I can dig up this weekend.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Also, does anyone know exactly how this works? I've tried to look it up but figured someone here might know better...

http://www.proprofs.com/flashcards/cardshow.php?title=astb-mechanical-comprehension-test&quesnum=200

Don't trust all of those flash cards. I went over a lot of them with a physics professor and many of them were blatantly, and I mean BLATANTLY, wrong. I would just stick with the marine gouge and a test book or two to take some practice tests.

AshleyinHB

I'm taking my ASTB for the 2nd time at the end of this month. My last attempt was 23 August 2010 and I scored 46 4/5/4. In the meantime I've been trying to study up and I also have been busy in my career as a professional musician. Now, besides that, my question is... for those of you who have re-taken the ASTB, how did you approve your scores? I.e. what extra measures did you take with studying, any other study material, what did you find beneficial, etc. As far as my study materials I have been using Military Flight Aptitude Tests, Officer Candidate Tests (Arco), FAA Pilot's Handbook, and multiple other aviation related texts. I used these last time as well. I also have two other great sources under my fingertips: a retired F/A-18 Marine pilot and my father, an ex F-4 Naval aviator.

I know my weakness is definitely word problems and I would love to sharpen that skill (if anything for self development, not just for the exam). Any advice where I can find extra study material? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. :)

marathonman

I'm taking my ASTB for the 2nd time at the end of this month. My last attempt was 23 August 2010 and I scored 46 4/5/4. In the meantime I've been trying to study up and I also have been busy in my career as a professional musician. Now, besides that, my question is... for those of you who have re-taken the ASTB, how did you approve your scores? I.e. what extra measures did you take with studying, any other study material, what did you find beneficial, etc. As far as my study materials I have been using Military Flight Aptitude Tests, Officer Candidate Tests (Arco), FAA Pilot's Handbook, and multiple other aviation related texts. I used these last time as well. I also have two other great sources under my fingertips: a retired F/A-18 Marine pilot and my father, an ex F-4 Naval aviator.

I know my weakness is definitely word problems and I would love to sharpen that skill (if anything for self development, not just for the exam). Any advice where I can find extra study material? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. :)

As I said in previous threads, I didn't do as well my second time around which really threw me for a loop. I've just been hitting multiple practice tests for the math. I've been using the ARCO book, the Barron's test prep book, the Marine gouge, and the Kaplan GRE math workbook. There's also a study guide in one of these threads someone made up that's excellent. For mechanics I've been using the same, but also going over to the bookstore a bunch. One thing that killed me the second time around was that there were principles on the test that weren't covered in Barron's or the Marine test like pistons, and they only sorta touch on things like pulleys and circuit diagrams. I'm hoping I can prepare myself enough for this last retest at least enough to get back to my original score. Just go through these threads and find study guides, look at people's questions, just soak up the information they've left here. Good luck.