• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

ao386

I recommend doing more practice problems and less theory. You should do them under time restrictions similar to the test. Buy Barron's, Trivium, and Peterson's books and do one practice test per day. It's okay to redo the practice tests. Also, if you don't know how to do a problem post it here and we can help you .

Reactions: Fom

DBM

I've been using the simulator for a while and I got done downloading Antimicrox, the latest version of Antimicro, and I feel like it is even harder now to track using the joystick on the hardest setting. I find it hard to break below 200 at times. Is anyone else experiencing a similar issue?

Reactions: Fom

Fom

I've been using the simulator for a while and I got done downloading Antimicrox, the latest version of Antimicro, and I feel like it is even harder now to track using the joystick on the hardest setting. I find it hard to break below 200 at times. Is anyone else experiencing a similar issue?
Yes but I assumed it was a skill issue lolol

What flight stick are you using and did you make any adjustments to the acceleration on the config file?

Reactions: DBM

Fom

i am having an issue with my math skills for the astb. i am having issues not reading all the words in the word problem sections or i miss a very important word because of the time constraints I am under and happens consistently. any suggestions?
TL;DR Practice and reps, read efficiently and keep moving but know you have more time than you realize, identify the objective of the question first the put together the pieces you need to reach the solution, you got this!

Inoculate yourself to the time constraints by crushing as many practice exams from the Kyle and Gomez drives as you're able. Reps will net you practice and confidence. Respectfully, if you can't remain reasonably focused and accurate under the pressure of a timed math test in a quiet room, you are probably going to have a rough military career.

Break down the test. At max you have 40 minutes to answer 30 questions for the math section. That means about a minute and 30 seconds per question. With that said, don't focus on the timer at such a micro scale. Stressing over the timer won't help you solve problems, so make some checkpoints and backstops for yourself.

With 30 minutes left on the test, you should have answered around 8 questions.
With 20 minutes left on the test, you should have answered around 15 questions.
With 10 minutes, around 24.

Use these as minimum benchmarks.

If I recall, the ASTB does not show you what # question you're on so keep a tally on your scratch paper of questions completed as you progress.

Consider the nature of the test. The ASTB is adaptive so if every question seems difficult, it's because you're getting them right.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this, but my understanding is it's better to answer some questions accurately as opposed to rushing to get it done and potentially wildly guessing on a handful. Strive for 30 but don't rush to get 30. Post #9580 on this thread got almost perfect scores, and they mentioned their math portion ended early with about 18 questions in the bag. They also described a massive difficulty spike. I believe the test only takes as long as it needs to generate your score. By this logic, you have more time than you think on each question because if you're getting them right, you don't need the full 40 minutes.

With that in mind, allow yourself to slow down just enough to fully read and absorb the question with all its information. First identify what the objective to answering the question is, then put together all the pieces you need to answer it.

Not sure if this is helpful but that's how I've been looking at it in preparation.

Everything the Navy throws at you is designed to be completely doable, but just outside typical comfort zone.

Last edited:

DBM

Yes but I assumed it was a skill issue lolol

What flight stick are you using and did you make any adjustments to the acceleration on the config file?
Haha same here, maybe it is a skill issue for me as well. I'm using the Hotas x52, with 6000 for the deadzone and 32000 for the max deadzone on Axis 1,2, & 3.
I am also unware of any configuration files that work. I tried to download one from a while back but I couldn't get it to work. I did all the setting changes in AntimicroX

Fom

Haha same here, maybe it is a skill issue for me as well. I'm using the Hotas x52, with 6000 for the deadzone and 32000 for the max deadzone on Axis 1,2, & 3.
I am also unware of any configuration files that work. I tried to download one from a while back but I couldn't get it to work. I did all the setting changes in AntimicroX
See if changing it to 2000 and 30000 makes it feel any better.
I'll double check my settings when I'm on my home pc later, I'd like to get this dialed

Reactions: DBM

TwoScoops

Two Scops
None
Warriors,
I am excited to announce that the ASTB Prep App is now available on the App Store for devices running MacOS 14.0 and higher. In the future, I may expand compatibility, but further testing will be necessary. Additionally, you can now connect an X52 controller and start practicing without needing to install any extra drivers. This is the V1.0 release, so if you encounter any issues or have suggestions for improvement, please DM me or tag me in a post.

Hey everyone, I wanted to let you know that the first 100 people who use the Joystick Integration feature will be able to do so for free. After that, there will be a fee. I had to fly back to the U.S. to buy both versions of the X52, as I'm currently living outside of the U.S. I need to recoup some money, so there will be a fee for the feature. If you encounter any issues with the Joystick integration and features, please message me. You can find the link to the App Store page below. I'm here to listen to your feedback. Happy studying, and good luck with your exams!

Two Scoops,
ASTB Prep MacOS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/astb-prep/id1549216388?platform=mac
ASTB Prep iOS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/astb-prep/id1549216388?platform=iphone

DBM

Warriors,
I am excited to announce that the ASTB Prep App is now available on the App Store for devices running MacOS 14.0 and higher. In the future, I may expand compatibility, but further testing will be necessary. Additionally, you can now connect an X52 controller and start practicing without needing to install any extra drivers. This is the V1.0 release, so if you encounter any issues or have suggestions for improvement, please DM me or tag me in a post.

Hey everyone, I wanted to let you know that the first 100 people who use the Joystick Integration feature will be able to do so for free. After that, there will be a fee. I had to fly back to the U.S. to buy both versions of the X52, as I'm currently living outside of the U.S. I need to recoup some money, so there will be a fee for the feature. If you encounter any issues with the Joystick integration and features, please message me. You can find the link to the App Store page below. I'm here to listen to your feedback. Happy studying, and good luck with your exams!

Two Scoops,
ASTB Prep MacOS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/astb-prep/id1549216388?platform=mac
ASTB Prep iOS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/astb-prep/id1549216388?platform=iphone
Hopefully Android soon 🤞