• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

AshleyinHB

As I said in previous threads, I didn't do as well my second time around which really threw me for a loop. I've just been hitting multiple practice tests for the math. I've been using the ARCO book, the Barron's test prep book, the Marine gouge, and the Kaplan GRE math workbook. There's also a study guide in one of these threads someone made up that's excellent. For mechanics I've been using the same, but also going over to the bookstore a bunch. One thing that killed me the second time around was that there were principles on the test that weren't covered in Barron's or the Marine test like pistons, and they only sorta touch on things like pulleys and circuit diagrams. I'm hoping I can prepare myself enough for this last retest at least enough to get back to my original score. Just go through these threads and find study guides, look at people's questions, just soak up the information they've left here. Good luck.

Thank you! :) Ya, I'm trying to study anything I can that will help me with this exam. I'll definitely keep an eye out for some study guides on here. Good luck on your exam too!

GreenLantern330

I scored the exact same score you did and was told I should retake, looking for a pilot or nfo slot.

But you don't know what else is in FP2020's package. He could have a lot of other great things going on in there. I don't know what else is in your package, but maybe your OR felt you needed a stronger ASTB to compensate? I could be wrong though.

FP2020

But you don't know what else is in FP2020's package. He could have a lot of other great things going on in there. I don't know what else is in your package, but maybe your OR felt you needed a stronger ASTB to compensate? I could be wrong though.

interesting point, i wasnt told anything like that by my recruiter?

GreenLantern330

If your OR didn't recommend you to retake it, then apply. If you get a non-select, then retake it. They use the whole person concept when making selections, so the rest of your profile could make up for your ASTB. But your ASTB isn't god-awful, not amazing, but not terrible.

FP2020

If your OR didn't recommend you to retake it, then apply. If you get a non-select, then retake it. They use the whole person concept when making selections, so the rest of your profile could make up for your ASTB. But your ASTB isn't god-awful, not amazing, but not terrible.

that sucks :icon_rage

seth_h

Navy or USMC? I'm trying to get selected for the Marines and I got the same score and was told not too due to the fact if you score worse that is the score they take.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Navy or USMC? I'm trying to get selected for the Marines and I got the same score and was told not too due to the fact if you score worse that is the score they take.

For Marines the ASTB is a pass/fail exam, (with the mins being a 5/6/5/ there is no difference between a 5/6/5 and a 9/9/9) but for the Navy it's competitive.

Sorry but Lucy is correct that taking the whole ASTB is needed for Intel. Here is another solid source of information:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_AnmGiPyFZxI/S2sT51zujNI/AAAAAAAAAQo/dbDbR39eM-U/s1600-h/IMG_0007.jpg

Actually it isn't needed. You are as wrong as her. It is optional. The logic would make no sense. It is like saying someone under age 17 can only be a passenger in a car if he takes driving a test.
It is optional, but it can also be damaging to take it. The intel is not flying or handling the electronics of the plane. Only the OAR is required according to Program Authorization 107A with a Min of 35.

Lucy

While the program authorization is a good place to look, that is dated in 2008. The recruiting manual update was in October 2010. So maybe it is, maybe it isn't required, but as the more recent one says it is required it would likely be better to prepare/take it than not even qualify because you hadn't. The reason that the the subtests are requried is not the aviation/supplemental section, but because to compute the AQR score all sections must be included. AQR minimum is 3.
For active duty this might me different but that should be looked into by your CoC or whoever is helping with your package.

blarged

ready
It is like saying someone under age 17 can only be a passenger in a car if he takes driving a test

WOOHOO!!! I took the other three sections ... so can anyone tell me: what's my chances of sitting passenger in a jet?!? Oh but 17? Well I'm older than that so maybe they'll just let me fly one.

Maybe it is the cold weather .. but my brain doesn't understand the simile. ^^Lucy's reference seems like the most concrete piece of information we have.