• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

seth_h

It is not a "new" section there is just a new angle used in the test. I don't want to comment too much because it would be giving away an answer, which is help no one else recieved. However, study for that section and just know that there will be a different angle in the mix and use what you've learned to adjust to it (it's not a hard angle or something that will completely throw you off).

GreenLantern330

I've been studying atrickpay's guide for the aviation/nautical section, and I'm a bit confused with all of this:

Boating Right of way
• 2 powered vessels
• head on, both vessels give-way starboard (right)
• crossing paths, vessel on operators left is give-way vessel. vessel on operators right is stand-on and can maintain course.
• overtaking, the one overtaking is the give-way, pass on either side
• power vs sail
• powered is always give-way vessel, sailing vessel is stand-on
• overtaking, whichever one is overtaking is the give-way, pass on either side
• sail vs sail
• wind on same side; the leeward (downwind) is the stand-on vessel and maintains course
• wind on different sides; head on, the vessel with wind on its starboard side is the stand-on.
• if operating power driven, you must give way to
• any vessel not under command
• vessel restricted in ability to maneuver
• engaged in commercial fishing
• sailing vessel unless it is overtaking
• sailing vessel must give way to
• same as above minus the last one

Does anyone know if there's a book or a site that could better explain this for me? It just seems to be gibberish with overtaking, stand-on, etc. Also, I have some conflicting information on 2 different study guides. One says starboard side has a red light and the other says it has a green light. Which is correct? Thanks for the help!

that mike guy

JSUPT primary @ VAFB, Enid, OK
Green you could probably go down to your local dmv/police station and get a boater's safety/boating license study guide to find this info.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Thanks, mike! I also found a site online that explained some of it, but I'll also do that. Appreciate the help!

Green on Right SAFE FOR FLIGHT (meaning the plane is flying away from you)...

Red on Right You're DEAD TONIGHT! (meaning the plane is coming right at you)...

GreenLantern330

OnTopTime and twobecrazy, thanks for the clarification. Safe for flight and dead tonight, I think, will definitely make it easier to remember.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor

Lloyd Christmas

Just took the ASTB this morning and scored a 5 5 5 54. I know it's been said but atrickplay's study guide and the marine practice test were extremely helpful.

Thanks for all the information you guys provided here on this website!

This is my first post, so I'm not too sure how this whole thing works, but if atrickplay is out there, "You're the man!"

seth_h

Just took the ASTB this morning and scored a 5 5 5 54. I know it's been said but atrickplay's study guide and the marine practice test were extremely helpful.

Thanks for all the information you guys provided here on this website!

This is my first post, so I'm not too sure how this whole thing works, but if atrickplay is out there, "You're the man!"

So are you taking it again? Or did you only take certain parts?

MGoBrew11

pilot
I am retaking the ASTB tomorrow and can't for the life of me figure out the explanation to an answer on one of the questions regarding a fixed pulley.

The question shows a fixed pulley, hanging from the ceiling, with weights on either end. It asks, "If the pulley is immovable, what is the minimum force that must be applied to position 1 in order to raise the 20 lb weight at position 2 upwards 3 ft?"

Since fixed pulleys give no mechanical advantage, I figured it should be 20 lbs over 3 feet. That isn't even one of the answers. The answer they give is 10.1 lbs over 3 feet. This would seem to mean a mechanical advantage of 2 since 10.1 is slightly greater than 20/2.

Does anyone have an explanation? Obviously, this is a bit urgent since I test again tomorrow. If you want the picture it is on page 25 of this gouge given by the NY USN blog:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...lhYzEtZDQ0NDZmOTk3YmJk&hl=en&authkey=CNPKyo0K