• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

kunerk

New Here, just took the test

Hello to everyone. I took the ASTB yesterday and scored good on it I guess. Im wanting to do Cryptology in the Navy. If anyone has info on the cryptology program, please let me know. Here's my scores.

AQR - 5
PFAR - 4
FOFAR - 5
OAR - 50

Any comments are appreciated.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Those scores are OK. Not great, but OK. Not sure what the selectivity is looking like recently for Crypto, but if you could study and get a better score, I'd take it again.

BullGator

Do you mean Intel, or is this a community that I'm unaware of?
It's either Intel or Information Warfare... Just checked the designators list, and no cryptology.

I would apply, and if you aren't pro-rec'ed, take the test again.

A 50 is pretty good, I guess, but I'm sure you can do better. And from what I hear, Intel is very competitive, so you may need to re-take the ASTB. Is the rest of your package strong? -Regardless, I would still send in the packet; just curious if you are competitive otherwise. If you are weak on mechanical or math, there is a free Arco OC book online that has excellent mechanical practice Qs (and good math):
http://www.petersons.com/pdf/free/OfficerCandidate.pdf
There is also a free version of Arco's Military Flight Aptitude Tests book online. Google it and it should be on the 2nd page of the search.

If I were you I would finish my packet while studying for the ASTB (in case) and PTing. Good luck man.

kunerk

I think i did decent at the math and mechanical. Ive never read anything about aviation before so thats what I would need to study. My only problem is Im afraid if i take it again that I will score worse than I did this time.

Study and retake the ASTB. There are only 20 crypto slots per year. You won't get in with those scores. They look for guys with very strong math backgrounds and preferably graduate degrees.

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
Study and retake the ASTB. There are only 20 crypto slots per year. You won't get in with those scores. They look for guys with very strong math backgrounds and preferably graduate degrees.

Cyrpto? You gents are all sounding rather salty...since it's usually only dinosaurs (you know...folks who entered the navy before 2005:)) who still call it crypto.

Kunerk...I'm pretty sure you are writing about the Information Warfare community...the artist formerly known as Cryptology. BTW, what is your education background?

I'd agree with the majority of the posters to retake the ASTB...but even if your scores fail to improve, go ahead and apply for IW if you are truly interested. Number one rule of naval service...never say "no" to yourself, make the Navy say "no".

Another bit of advice, head over to www.informationwarriors.net for additional and more specific information on the IW community. It's just like airwarriors...only for IWs.

GooseOnTheLoose

You know, with full 9s and a 65, it makes you wonder just what those last 15 points are to get the full 80. How crisply you click the mouse when answering?

BullGator

You know, with full 9s and a 65, it makes you wonder just what those last 15 points are to get the full 80. How crisply you click the mouse when answering?
There was a powerpoint link on here once, somewhere, and it laid out how many questions you can miss and still get a 9. Basically it is alot easier to get 9's then to get an 80 (never heard of anyone to even get a 70 or above...). That being said, I wish I had 9's or even one 9. I had 7,7,8, 58. Congrats and good work coyote09.

jorgelito

PRO-REC INTEL
There was a powerpoint link on here once, somewhere, and it laid out how many questions you can miss and still get a 9. Basically it is alot easier to get 9's then to get an 80 (never heard of anyone to even get a 70 or above...). That being said, I wish I had 9's or even one 9. I had 7,7,8, 58. Congrats and good work coyote09.
Your score is still very good. Don't worry too much over it.

BullGator

Your score is still very good. Don't worry too much over it.
Thank you. I'm not worried about my ASTB scores...maybe my PRT scores though.

I take the PRT this Thursday and I am realistic in thinking I may get a good-low, and that would still be really pushing myself to the max. The PRT is the one thing I need to do to complete my package. I just tested myself and I have a 13min run, 50curlups and 60pushups.

With the news that they will only be reviewing a certain quota of applications per designation (50 I heard) I think I may have to be in the Nov boards. I will try to get a good-low (minimum, I will try for better of course), and see what my OR says -if that would be alright or if it would "break" my package and I would need to wait for next month's boards where I would do much better on the PRT. Cue the violins. :D