• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

cgoetz

Yeah I considered NFO but I'm still goin to shoot for SNA. Everyone has always said I was thick headed and crazy.

BullGator

ASTB: Interchangable scores between Navy and Marines?

I am taking my first ASTB on Thursday the 21st. If I get rejected from SNA selection for the Navy, can I use my ASTB scores with a Marine officer recruiter?

I know that I can re-apply and retake the ASTB over and over. I also know that it is smart to look around at all the services, and it is important to be honest throughout, so it seems logical that I could interchangably use the same ASTB score; I just want other people's opinons.

I also know that the odds of being a pilot decrease with the Marines, as you aren't "gauranteed" anything (until Marine-TBS) like you are with the Navy (contract). I think I'd be great at either one, and would love to fly rotary just as much as fixed wing (or at least close enough :) ).

I am taking my first ASTB on Thursday the 21st. If I get rejected from SNA selection for the Navy, can I use my ASTB scores with a Marine officer recruiter?

I know that I can re-apply and retake the ASTB over and over. I also know that it is smart to look around at all the services, and it is important to be honest throughout, so it seems logical that I could interchangably use the same ASTB score; I just want other people's opinons.

I also know that the odds of being a pilot decrease with the Marines, as you aren't "gauranteed" anything (until Marine-TBS) like you are with the Navy (contract). I think I'd be great at either one, and would love to fly rotary just as much as fixed wing (or at least close enough :) ).

Yes, it is the same test. Your scores can count for Navy or Marines.

The Marine OSO I spoke with said the aviation contracts are the only ones that are locked in. Ground contracts are awarded by class standing and that weird system they use. So, you are guarenteed pilot/nfo if you have an aviation contract.

Lobster

I don't know if you saw it or not but there was a thread a little while back about not selecting a service just because you want to fly. Officer first, pilot second. Can't remember what it was under though. I'm a big help (rolls eyes)

BullGator

I don't know if you saw it or not but there was a thread a little while back about not selecting a service just because you want to fly. Officer first, pilot second. Can't remember what it was under though. I'm a big help (rolls eyes)
Of course you need to be an officer to be a military pilot. That said, the pilot second thing is a little bit of mumbo-jumbo/ cliché. If you are signing a contract to be "locked into" a profession, you'd better make sure that it is something you want to do for the next 9 to 20+ years.

What I would like is to be a pilot in the military, and make a career out of it. Serving either the Navy or Marines is a correct/ great decision. As an officer who is a naval aviator.

sadjsd05

The point is that if you just want to be a pilot, be a pilot. The Navy or Marines is a life style. If it doesn't fit you, be a civilian pilot... There is also a previous post about a guy who dropped out of OCS...may want to read that one...

BullGator

-This has nothing to do with the ASTB-

The point is that if you just want to be a pilot, be a pilot. The Navy or Marines is a life style. If it doesn't fit you, be a civilian pilot... There is also a previous post about a guy who dropped out of OCS...may want to read that one...
I read it about 2 or 3 weeks ago. Thought it was long, but from the heart and informative to some. I think you are confusing me with someone else. Besides if your heart and motivation aren't there, that's what DIs are for: to root out those. ... I'm just gonna drop it; this is an ASTB thread. If you want PM me about your problems.

pearcem

I too just took the ASTB, and i scored 7/7/8, so i went ahead and signed the paperwork (I am a Marine OCS-complete, contract switch from ground), so barring something unusual at the physical, then i will see y'all in Pensacola :icon_smil

BullGator

I too just took the ASTB, and i scored 7/7/8, so i went ahead and signed the paperwork (I am a Marine OCS-complete, contract switch from ground), so barring something unusual at the physical, then i will see y'all in Pensacola :icon_smil
Awesome man. Good work: you killed the passing Marine grade of 4,6,6.

Good luck to you in the future, and welcome to the site.

cgoetz

Hey, Zbone are you in Navy or Marines? Only reason I ask is because you said you got a point waiver ln your ASTB and I heard somewhere on another thread that is only offered in the Marines. Is this true because I'm planning to apply for the Navy.

cgoetz

Right now as far as the ASTB is concerned I'm going with what I got. I gotta wait until Oct 17th to retake it. I just started another semester at Embry Riddle and so my focus is on that. I figure GPA is just as important if not more than the ASTB. At least that is the word from my recruiter.

cgoetz

Thanks eats. All I know is I'm going to keep appling to those boards until they are sick of seeing my application. Happy Labor Day everyone!