• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Good job on the straight 9s. Now go into your MOI's office and tell you want to be a Marine.

kunerk

Thanks for the info. I think I will try and study for the ASTB again since I have time. My degree is in Anthropology. Im not sure what all I need to study besides the Aviation info. Im pretty sure I did well on the Math and decent on the mechanical.

kunerk

It's either Intel or Information Warfare... Just checked the designators list, and no cryptology.

I would apply, and if you aren't pro-rec'ed, take the test again.

A 50 is pretty good, I guess, but I'm sure you can do better. And from what I hear, Intel is very competitive, so you may need to re-take the ASTB. Is the rest of your package strong? -Regardless, I would still send in the packet; just curious if you are competitive otherwise. If you are weak on mechanical or math, there is a free Arco OC book online that has excellent mechanical practice Qs (and good math):
http://www.petersons.com/pdf/free/OfficerCandidate.pdf
There is also a free version of Arco's Military Flight Aptitude Tests book online. Google it and it should be on the 2nd page of the search.

If I were you I would finish my packet while studying for the ASTB (in case) and PTing. Good luck man.

I appreciate the websites and info you've given. Im wanting to be a CTI, or linguist, or whatever the official term is. The recruiter Ive been working with calls it Cryptology, but I think Information Warfare is the right term. Im currently running 4 miles and walking 4-6 miles a day.

BullGator

I appreciate the websites and info you've given. Im wanting to be a CTI, or linguist, or whatever the official term is. The recruiter Ive been working with calls it Cryptology, but I think Information Warfare is the right term. Im currently running 4 miles and walking 4-6 miles a day.
Sounds like you are doing good training, but don't kill yourself; 8+ miles a day is crazy, unless your knees and shins can take that physically. I would scale back the miles and take more days off to recover (do some 400m sprints instead type of thing). I'm by no means qualified to tell you how to work out, and please understand that, my only point is don't hurt yourself.

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None

Ok, now I'm a bit more confused. Are you applying for an officer program or trying to enlist? If you want to be a CTI (which is a linguist), then you want to enlist. If you want to be an Information Warfare officer, then you want an officer program.

Both are part of the IW community, however.

So...out of curiosity...which is it?

kunerk

Im wanting to be a Chinese linguist, but I want to try and be an officer first. If I don't get accepted into the IW program then I will take the DLAB and see if I can be a linguist. I hope that helps.

I started out doing 1.5 miles a day in April and Ive gradually worked up from there. Im mainly doing that for weight loss since Im overweight and afraid that I wont be accepted for that reason.

Veovis

PRO REC SNA!
Redemption! And Thank YOU

I just finished retaking the ASTB after getting a 5,6,5 53 in June and knowing I could do better... I got an 8,8,8 59!!!! I just wanted to thank all of you guys for answering all my stupid questions(and continuing to in the future) and hopefully I'll get picked up in October!! The information and specific breakdowns of the individual forms on here over the years are priceless. I'd add my own, but if you use the search you're going to find everything I could possibly contribute anyway:icon_tong

Except for I swear some of the answers in both the Barron's and ARCO book are incorrect:icon_rage I want to hunt down some of the writers...

Off to get $#^% canned!!!:D

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just finished retaking the ASTB after getting a 5,6,5 53 in June and knowing I could do better... I got an 8,8,8 59!!!! I just wanted to thank all of you guys for answering all my stupid questions(and continuing to in the future) and hopefully I'll get picked up in October!! The information and specific breakdowns of the individual forms on here over the years are priceless. I'd add my own, but if you use the search you're going to find everything I could possibly contribute anyway:icon_tong

Except for I swear some of the answers in both the Barron's and ARCO book are incorrect:icon_rage I want to hunt down some of the writers...

Off to get $#^% canned!!!:D

So, bottom line is that Studying DOES work??? Congrats!

-ea6bflyr ;)

Aramil

New Member/ASTB Help

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and just went to my OCS office to have an interview with the captain. Im interested in the Marine Corps Aviation Program, and realize I need to take/pass the ASTB to get into this program. I've been searching the forum and have seen the gouges but there are a few concepts Im unclear on.

1. I know the scores are out of 9/9/9 80. What exactly do these reflect and what is the second score (OAR?)?

2. I've seen advice to order a few books in order to prepare, but for the life of me I cant find any of them. If anyone can provide the titles because they are all listed as acronyms on the forums or links to where I can get them that would be great.

Thanks

Nick

Lobster

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and just went to my OCS office to have an interview with the captain. Im interested in the Marine Corps Aviation Program, and realize I need to take/pass the ASTB to get into this program. I've been searching the forum and have seen the gouges but there are a few concepts Im unclear on.

1. I know the scores are out of 9/9/9 80. What exactly do these reflect and what is the second score (OAR?)?

2. I've seen advice to order a few books in order to prepare, but for the life of me I cant find any of them. If anyone can provide the titles because they are all listed as acronyms on the forums or links to where I can get them that would be great.

Thanks

Nick

Dude you need to search a little harder, all the books are on here numerous times, and i'm hoping this is a typo but its not "gouges" its "gouge" lose the "s".

Welcome to AW!

TTUalumn07

Hey everyone,

Thanks

Nick

Well first, you will be told by most on here that you should use the search option. It really does help.

I too am preparing for the Marine and Navy OCS. Studying and running alot.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
First check out:
http://marinegouge.com/mediawiki-1.6.6/index.php?title=Aviation_Selection_Test_Battery

The books I used were ARCO Military Flight Aptitude tests, ARCO Officer Candidate Tests, and Barrons Military Flight book. All were found at my local Barnes & Nobles. I think the first 2 can be found in pdf form online. I didn't really use the Officer Candidate book much, but it did have a lot more math and mechanical than the other 2, so if those are sections you feel you could use improvement in, then go for it. I spent 60-70 bucks total on them, which I consider a small price to pay considering it will help me achieve my dreams.

I'll post some of my astb gouge in a few days. I've got a pretty big word document of everything I accumulated through studying