• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 03Nov2023 SNA/SNFO Board

Dsimms2900

SNA Pro Rec - Y
Currently AD and got almost all my package put together. But damn its such a pain in the ass getting interviews done. Idk what it is about Pilots but they definitely don't got much time for interviews or are too stubborn about it!
It would be best to find a big deck with nothing on their schedule for a while. I did mine with an air boss who is going through a maint avail so they were just sitting on the pier. Besides him, all my other interviews were SWOs on my ship so as long as you have atleast one with the designator youre applying for I wouldnt worry ab the interviews too much. More ASTB/GPA

CC2224Clone

Got rejected in May with 58 7 7 8 and 3.95 so I held off on July to beef up my package. Kicking myself for sure now!

I retook the astb and got a 61 8 9 7. Sitting at 26 flight hours and an LOR (both of which were not on my last package). Could be close to PPL before deadline if I grind. Assuming this board IS a lot more competitive due to an influx of applicants, does anyone have any input as to how good my chances are looking? I know there are a lot of unknowns at play in this question but what the heck anyways!
Barring any major waiver issue, that 9 PFAR should get you selected. I wouldn’t worry!

Cajun

SNA ProRecY
Got rejected in May with 58 7 7 8 and 3.95 so I held off on July to beef up my package. Kicking myself for sure now!

I retook the astb and got a 61 8 9 7. Sitting at 26 flight hours and an LOR (both of which were not on my last package). Could be close to PPL before deadline if I grind. Assuming this board IS a lot more competitive due to an influx of applicants, does anyone have any input as to how good my chances are looking? I know there are a lot of unknowns at play in this question but what the heck anyways!
Extremely good chances with that astb and GPA. Even if it is a competitive board you have a great chance of being picked up. Reference previous boards on the spreadsheet.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA

You have a 9 PFAR… as long as you’re other components of your packet are solid you are golden

madiego

It would be best to find a big deck with nothing on their schedule for a while. I did mine with an air boss who is going through a maint avail so they were just sitting on the pier. Besides him, all my other interviews were SWOs on my ship so as long as you have atleast one with the designator youre applying for I wouldnt worry ab the interviews too much. More ASTB/GPA
Interviews arent really that important to the overall package? You can have the most stellar interviews and still not count for much other than having them done?

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Interviews arent really that important to the overall package? You can have the most stellar interviews and still not count for much other than having them done?

If it’s between A and B and you both have the relative packets but A has better LORs than B, I could see that being a factor

burnac0

Pro Rec Y SNA
What is the general feeling about how this board will shake out? I am very interested as I have an upcoming ASTB retake and an otherwise well-improved package ready to be submitted to this board. Is there any precedent for "the board following the friendly board" that we just passed?

CC2224Clone

What is the general feeling about how this board will shake out? I am very interested as I have an upcoming ASTB retake and an otherwise well-improved package ready to be submitted to this board. Is there any precedent for "the board following the friendly board" that we just passed?
I would like to think it will be a good board for those who apply, considering how soon the August board candidates are leaving for OCS. However, there is no telling what will happen, only speculation.
Good luck with the retake!

Average Monke

A primate with internet access
Predicting board results is like predicting the market, no one actually knows and past performance is not indicative of future results. Just focus on things you can control, whether that's finishing your packet or getting physically fit. Best not to have any expectations or think too much about the board. That's my .02 at least.

Cajun

SNA ProRecY
I think the general consensus is that things are opening up coming off of the covid/pipeline back ups, and coupled with retention issues. So I think it’s worth a shot. But as @MotorCookie said, very real possibility of another over select.

exNavyOffRec

I think the general consensus is that things are opening up coming off of the covid/pipeline back ups, and coupled with retention issues. So I think it’s worth a shot. But as @MotorCookie said, very real possibility of another over select.
Retention issues don't affect OCS selection numbers, you can shove a newly qualified LTjg into a spot where they need a LCDR and call it good.

They need to commission a specific number of each designator per year to maintain proper numbers per YG, doesn't matter if they are getting trained on their designator or watching Judge Judy, they are still commissioned in that YG.

This isn't the first time they have had SNA's/SNFO's or other designators just sitting around and yet they kept commissioning to maintain the YG numbers. We were seeing some stash ensigns so frequently it was like they were permanently assigned lol.

Cajun

SNA ProRecY
Retention issues don't affect OCS selection numbers, you can shove a newly qualified LTjg into a spot where they need a LCDR and call it good.

They need to commission a specific number of each designator per year to maintain proper numbers per YG, doesn't matter if they are getting trained on their designator or watching Judge Judy, they are still commissioned in that YG.

This isn't the first time they have had SNA's/SNFO's or other designators just sitting around and yet they kept commissioning to maintain the YG numbers. We were seeing some stash ensigns so frequently it was like they were permanently assigned lol.
Thanks for the correction on the retention issues, I wasn’t aware of that.