• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 02Nov20 SNA/SNFO (Pilot/NFO) Board

Ghost SWO

Contributor
I do not mind if someone doesn't want to be pulling the trigger. But the entire function of a military branch is to kill; let's not mince our words.

The parachute rigger? He packs parachutes. Who uses that parachute? Killers.
The mechanic? He fixes tanks. Who uses that tank? Killers.
The yeoman? He Yeomans. Who is he yeomanning for? Killers (or mechanics or parachute riggers, that fix tanks and pack parachutes for killers).

You want to do a paramilitary job that does not directly aid the warfighting capability? Go to one of the civilian organizations. They are just as technical and important but in a drastically different way.
That's a mentality that I really don't understand, why someone can't wrap their mind around a simple concept. They say, "Well, I'm just the mechanic for this F-16, I'm not killing anyone and I don't want to". But they directly add to the whole mission of dropping bombs on bad guys.

Just blows my mind...

Marcus_Aurelius

That's a mentality that I really don't understand, why someone can't wrap their mind around a simple concept. They say, "Well, I'm just the mechanic for this F-16, I'm not killing anyone and I don't want to". But they directly add to the whole mission of dropping bombs on bad guys.

Just blows my mind...

View attachment 28229

It is my personal opinion, informed through observation, that our generation is becoming quite soft and I am concerned about the impact it will have on national defense.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with killing a belligerent enemy in defense of innocents. In fact, I would argue that not only is there nothing wrong with it, but that it is morally ethical to do so.

Edit: In fact, here is my personal moral argument regarding violence:

It is morally impermissible to unnecessarily and intentionally physically harm or kill an innocent, non-threatening, human being without their expressed consent.

Last edited:

Ghost SWO

Contributor
It is my personal opinion, informed through observation, that our generation is becoming quite soft and I am concerned about the impact it will have on national defense.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with killing a belligerent enemy in defense of innocents. In fact, I would argue that not only is there nothing wrong with it, but that it is morally ethical to do so.
Absolutely. There was a really great TEDx talk from an Army General who talked about that exact issue, and I believe he was specifically referencing obesity as having a direct impact on the amount of qualified candidates to enter military service, which leads to matters of National Security.

It is quite alarming to look at it from either a mentality, or physical standpoint having direct impact leading to reducing national security.

Luckily, I think we have a lot of great candidates who think and act otherwise who will uphold our military branches with a skeleton crew of warfighters. The branches have been slimming down for a while and the remaining members are picking up the slack so that's doable.

StJP4Us

I'm assuming you're either Active or Prior Navy? If so, don't be too upset if you have to go Green. The hardest part of my decision between the two branches wasn't the difference between Officer/Warrant Officer, rotary/fixed, base locations, pay, or mission set (though all of those were factors I considered). The hardest part of my decision between the two has been, and always will be, organizational culture. I absolutely love the Army. I love the history, the language, the humor, the rank structure, everything. If I end up leaving it, it will be a very difficult transition.

But I'm certain the Navy has a very unique culture as well and I'm sure I will come to love the intricacies of it too. No matter what though, even if I fully become a Sailor and adopt that culture, I will always be a Soldier.

If you do go green, just know you will be going into a wonderful organization.

Damn, that's some certified green weenie propaganda right there

Marcus_Aurelius

Damn, that's some certified green weenie propaganda right there

Absolutely. Notice, however, that my top choice is still Navy. So interpret freely.

It definitely is a matter of perspective. Don't get me wrong, there are blatant issues and inefficiencies in the Army; things that just don't seem to make any sense at all. But, I'm quite certain that is a universal aspect found in all careers, including the Navy.

I was merely trying to let the guy know that if the Navy doesn't pick him up, the Army is not a bad way to go at all.

StJP4Us

Absolutely. Notice, however, that my top choice is still Navy. So interpret freely.

It definitely is a matter of perspective. Don't get me wrong, there are blatant issues and inefficiencies in the Army; things that just don't seem to make any sense at all. But, I'm quite certain that is a universal aspect found in all careers, including the Navy.

I was merely trying to let the guy know that if the Navy doesn't pick him up, the Army is not a bad way to go at all.
I'm just pulling your leg bud. Military aviation is badass no matter the branch. But Air Force is the best branch for that

Marcus_Aurelius

Military aviation is badass no matter the branch. But Air Force is the best branch for that

Air Force is the best at their Aviation mission set. Naval Aviation (including Marines) would be the best at their mission sets. Army would be the best at their mission sets.

Oranges, bananas, apples, and plums cannot be adequately compared. Sometimes you're in the mood for just an orange slice. Sometimes you need to drop a JDAM at the same time that you're calling in a MEDEVAC to the CCP.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Air Force is the best at their Aviation mission set. Naval Aviation (including Marines) would be the best at their mission sets. Army would be the best Sometimes you need to drop a JDAM at the same time that you're calling in a MEDEVAC to the CCP.
Yeah MEDEVAC doesn't go without the SWO brief! Been there, done that.

Shameless plug. Carry on haha

Dtw pilot

50% Chance at not getting results tomorrow
50% Chance that we receive results next week

:D
They ask when learning to flying a twin what's the chance of one of the engines failing? In the words of the dpe on my multi add on 50/50 eenie meenie miny moe which one's gunna go.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
They ask when learning to flying a twin what's the chance of one of the engines failing? In the words of the dpe on my multi add on 50/50 eenie meenie miny moe which one's gunna go.
Interesting. Do they reduce power on one engine to idle and feather the prop if applicable?

In helicopters we are to enter an autorotation within the time the CFI's say "Engine failure" three times. It's like a rollercoaster ride every time lol. Falling like a rock and they're like, ok, where where are we going? lol.

Engine failures with wings are a little boring honestly ;)

Dtw pilot

Interesting. Do they reduce power on one engine to idle and feather the prop if applicable?

In helicopters we are to enter an autorotation within the time the CFI's say "Engine failure" three times. It's like a rollercoaster ride every time lol. Falling like a rock and they're like, ok, where where are we going? lol.

Engine failures with wings are a little boring honestly ;)
We actually pull the mixture and secure the engine that "failed" then attempt to restart it.