• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 02Nov20 SNA/SNFO (Pilot/NFO) Board

villo0692

For y’all who applied WOFT, did you ever think about the Marines? They have the same medical and aptitude tests as Navy, so it seems like an easy transition. Army has the SIFT and their own medical, right?

If I don’t get picked up this board I’m probably going to try talking to the local OSO again. I asked about processing two packets at once but he balked at it. He had two main reasons: 1) If you want to be a Marine why would you apply for another branch. 2) He didn’t want to potentially waste 6+ months on me, plus the trip to Pensacola they send Air Contract applicants on.

Edit: Clarification
I was immediately disqualified because of my tattoos

Triumph_MAC

I'm assuming you're either Active or Prior Navy? If so, don't be too upset if you have to go Green. The hardest part of my decision between the two branches wasn't the difference between Officer/Warrant Officer, rotary/fixed, base locations, pay, or mission set (though all of those were factors I considered). The hardest part of my decision between the two has been, and always will be, organizational culture. I absolutely love the Army. I love the history, the language, the humor, the rank structure, everything. If I end up leaving it, it will be a very difficult transition.

But I'm certain the Navy has a very unique culture as well and I'm sure I will come to love the intricacies of it too. No matter what though, even if I fully become a Sailor and adopt that culture, I will always be a Soldier.

If you do go green, just know you will be going into a wonderful organization.
I'm right with you. I've got a lot of time committed to the Navy and I love the time I've spent so far. I hope the Navy gives the opportunity so I can take my experiences to the wardroom and ultimately use them to mentor the Sailors under me. I'd definitely miss it if I switched but I also look forward to new challenges. I really like the mission set of Army aviation too, so although it would be a difficult transition, I would embrace the change and look forward to the new chapter.

Marcus_Aurelius

For y’all who applied WOFT, did you ever think about the Marines? They have the same medical and aptitude tests as Navy, so it seems like an easy transition. Army has the SIFT and their own medical, right?

I did consider Marines, but I was too old and my tattoos also disqualify me. In fact, I tried to join the Marines before I joined the Army, but was disqualified due to the tattoos. Honestly, I wouldn't change it for the world.

Yes, the Army has the SIFT, which is only slightly different (no HOTAS/hearing test). There are less sections, but many of the questions were verbatim. I took the Navy test first (which I didn't study for) and when I took the Army test it was much easier because I was already familiar with the questions; they were the exact same questions.

However, the medical is practically the same. In fact, since I was still in the Army when I began this whole process, the Aviation Flight Physical that was conducted through Army Aviation was the exact same paperwork that I gave to the Navy (I just checked "Navy" instead of "Army" and photocopied the medical papers). Two applications, one flight physical. What can I say? I'm efficient.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
For y’all who applied WOFT, did you ever think about the Marines? They have the same medical and aptitude tests, so it seems like an easy transition. Army has the SIFT and their own medical, right?

If I don’t get picked up this board I’m probably going to try talking to the local OSO again. I asked about processing two packets at once but he balked at it. He had two main reasons: 1) If you want to be a Marine why would you apply for another branch. 2) I don’t want to potentially waste 6+ months on you, plus the trip to Pensacola they send Air Contract applicants on.
I was told I should be a Marine aviator in 2013 but I wasn't interested in close combat. lol... Sigh That backfired. Pun intended.

The Marine recruiter was sitting in the office with the Army guys this Autumn when I went it, and he asked me if I thought about the Marines but I told him my age and that was an automatic no. I think they're 27 normally, or 29 if you're AD prior service?

I talked to the Marines before enlisting in the USAF back in 2014. I asked the Marine recruiter, what else do you have to offer me over other branches besides, "We have the best uniform?"... Crickets. You have to want to be a Marine. They have a lot of pride in being a Marine so it makes sense when they say, why would you want to be in any other branch?

Marcus_Aurelius

They have a lot of pride in being a Marine.

I absolutely agree with this statement. It is something I wish the Army would capitalize on. As Army Infantry who has trained and worked alongside Marine Infantry, there are few differences. However, the biggest difference is the reverence they hold regarding their organization and I believe it truly is a powerful and important aspect of being a Warrior.

I think there are few Soldiers, like myself, that view the title of "Soldier" to the same level as a Marine views the title of "Marine." But I wish they did. I think that it would drastically improve morale and personal motivation in the Army if they did.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
I absolutely agree with this statement. It is something I wish the Army would capitalize on. As Army Infantry who has trained and worked alongside Marine Infantry, there are few differences. However, the biggest difference is the reverence they hold regarding their organization and I believe it truly is a powerful and important aspect of being a Warrior.

I think there are few Soldiers, like myself, that view the title of "Soldier" to the same level as a Marine views the title of "Marine." But I wish they did. I think that it would drastically improve morale and personal motivation in the Army if they did.
Same issue in the USAF. I've had my commanders refer to the branch as, and I mean literally call it a, "Corporation". They also corrected enlisted members to say "No, we're more like a corporation than a military branch". Hmm, last time I checked I entered a military branch and I'm a warfighter so... Where does that culture come from? No idea. My job was to provide intelligence to Army commanders and aviators adding to the lethality of the warfighter at a strategic and tactical level. Sorry commander, but that doesn't sound like any corporation I've heard of lol.

USAF needs the same level of ownership of what it is, not what some commander wants in to be. They want a normal 9-5 job. They refer to moving to a new command as, "Taking a new job". Or they would look at another command or position and say, "I want that job".

TheCoon

The Marine recruiter was sitting in the office with the Army guys this Autumn when I went it, and he asked me if I thought about the Marines but I told him my age and that was an automatic no. I think they're 27 normally, or 29 if you're AD prior service?

I thought they upped the age when the Navy did? I’m not near the cutoff so I haven’t paid close attention, but I thought I saw something about it in passing.

I talked to the Marines before enlisting in the USAF back in 2014. I asked the Marine recruiter, what else do you have to offer me over other branches besides, "We have the best uniform?"... Crickets. You have to want to be a Marine. They have a lot of pride in being a Marine so it makes sense when they say, why would you want to be in any other branch?

LOL. I’m having some deja vu reading that. The OSO I talked with went into it more than that, but that was definitely the same overarching theme.

Marcus_Aurelius

Same issue in the USAF. I've had my commanders refer to the branch as, and I mean literally call it a, "Corporation". They also corrected enlisted members to say "No, we're more like a corporation than a military branch". Hmm, last time I checked I entered a military branch and I'm a warfighter so...

I agree. This is why many branches give the Air Force a hard time.

As you and I have discussed before (when we were talking about PT standards and being prepared for anything as a Warrior) I thoroughly believe that every branch (yes, that includes you Coasties and Airmen too) should be Warriors. And every branch needs to view themselves as an American Warrior. And if America is going to have Warriors, then those Warriors ought to be the best damn Warriors on the face of the planet throughout the entirety of history and into the future.

If people are going to join a military branch, they are asking to be more than a mere civilian; they want to be Warriors. Warriors kill. If you want to join the government in a highly proficient and technical way, go NASA, or GeoSpace, or NSA or something. If you want to be a Warrior, join the military.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
I thought they upped the age when the Navy did? I’m not near the cutoff so I haven’t paid close attention, but I thought I saw something about it in passing.
I'm not sure if that Marine was an OR or regular enlisted recruiter but he was under the impression that it was a 27 cutoff and they even pushed it to 29 for AD guys. Could be incorrect but he seemed to validate what I had seen on the Marine recruiting website regarding age which diverts from what the Navy is currently accepting.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
I agree. This is why many branches give the Air Force a hard time.

As you and I have discussed before (when we were talking about PT standards and being prepared for anything as a Warrior) I thoroughly believe that every branch (yes, that includes you Coasties and Airmen too) should be Warriors. And every branch needs to view themselves as an American Warrior. And if America is going to have Warriors, then those Warriors ought to be the best damn Warriors on the face of the planet throughout the entirety of history and into the future.

If people are going to join a military branch, they are asking to be more than a mere civilian; they want to be Warriors. Warriors kill. If you want to join the government in a highly proficient and technical way, go NASA, or GeoSpace, or NSA or something. If you want to be a Warrior, join the military.
Lol, having said all of that and knowing some people join and then object to being in positions that directly lead to warheads on foreheads. What do you think about people who join and yet "Don't want to aid to the warfighting capability."? o.o

Triumph_MAC

I was told I should be a Marine aviator in 2013 but I wasn't interested in close combat. lol... Sigh That backfired. Pun intended.

I talked to the Marine OSO. As soon as I told him my age he said, not a chance. That was the end of that conversation. Lol

Marcus_Aurelius

Lol, having said all of that and knowing some people join and then object to being in positions that directly lead to warheads on foreheads. What do you think about people who join and yet "Don't want to aid to the warfighting capability". o.o

I do not mind if someone doesn't want to be pulling the trigger. But the entire function of a military branch is to kill; let's not mince our words.

The parachute rigger? He packs parachutes. Who uses that parachute? Killers.
The mechanic? He fixes tanks. Who uses that tank? Killers.
The yeoman? He yeomans. Who is he yeomanning for? Killers (or mechanics or parachute riggers, that fix tanks and pack parachutes for killers).

You want to do a paramilitary job that does not directly aid the warfighting capability? Go to one of the civilian organizations. They are just as technical and important but in a drastically different way.