• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 02Nov20 SNA/SNFO (Pilot/NFO) Board

Ghost SWO

Contributor
What is cool about the possibility of hearing next week is the anniversary of Pearl Harbor. I think that would be a cool time to find out results for history buffs like myself.

Where I was stationed in Hawaii (WAAF) was the first installation bombed on their way to Pearl Harbor. Pretty cool to see the bullet holes that still remain in the HQ building on Pearl.

Triumph_MAC

[/QUOTE]
What is cool about the possibility of hearing next week is the anniversary of Pearl Harbor. I think that would be a cool time to find out results for history buffs like myself.

Where I was stationed in Hawaii (WAAF) was the first installation bombed on their way to Pearl Harbor. Pretty cool to see the bullet holes that still remain in the HQ building on Pearl.
I pass that location quite frequently on my ventures.

TheCoon

My recruiter mentioned to me it was due to the high number of applicants that this board received.

It’s wild to me that, if true, there were more applicants than usual for our board. Wasn’t MEPS and ASTB in certain areas shut down/slowed for awhile?

I thought there’d be fewer applicants than usual. I’m not the brightest bulb in the room sometimes, but I’m a little shocked by that.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
It’s wild to me that, if true, there were more applicants than usual for our board. Wasn’t MEPS and ASTB in certain areas shut down/slowed for awhile?

I thought there’d be fewer applicants than usual. I’m not the brightest bulb in the room sometimes, but I’m a little shocked by that.
There must be an offset somewhere, fewer people able to get out and get stuff done, but also way more people that now need a job due to COVID.

Similar to the increase in applicants/accession during recessions.

Typically this is a lower applied to board time but that doesn't account for the large influx of people needing a job ASAP.

jma21

At least for me, I was a college junior at home with too much time on my hands so I started studying for the ASTB. I definitely would not have applied for this board had COVID not happened, I probably would've put it off until after graduation (I graduate in May 2021).

Forgedinwater

At least for me, I was a college junior at home with too much time on my hands so I started studying for the ASTB. I definitely would not have applied for this board had COVID not happened, I probably would've put it off until after graduation (I graduate in May 2021).
I was in a similar situation. A college senior with no idea what he was doing with his life after school. However, I did not even consider covid as I started trying to apply long before it really hit. Its just unfortunate timing...

Marcus_Aurelius

I'm pretty sure the COVID reduction in class size has nothing to do with accessions and quotas.

I do not think that it would affect quotas at all, but it may impact the number of selections per board. FY quotas can still be attained even if they shifted selection rates between boards due to OCS backlog.

@Marcus_Aurelius
It's also likely that if an OR, or NRD submits multiple kits at the same time at the last minute, the applicant number could have already been reached before the deadline. NRC will automatically roll those kits to the next board because they reached the limit on applicants for the current board.

I would concur with @Raptor234
In which case, an entire NRD will appear to be left off the board, but all their applications will be present on the following board. They hit the total applicant limit and pushed people to the next automatically.

However, even if I'm wrong on that and OCS class reduction is not the culprit; if you and @Raptor234 are correct about the numbers of applications being responsible, then my theory would still hold, as either scenario would conceivably justify my conclusion.

Triumph_MAC

If you were in Hawaii from 2016-2019 we probably passed each other and never knew it lol.
I've been here since July 2018. We definitely passed each other. Maybe even swam in the same ocean... this is all becoming very philosophical as the possibilities of our potential encounters soar to great heights.

TheCoon

There must be an offset somewhere, fewer people able to get out and get stuff done, but also way more people that now need a job due to COVID.

Similar to the increase in applicants/accession during recessions.

Typically this is a lower applied to board time but that doesn't account for the large influx of people needing a job ASAP.

I was expecting an uptick for these reasons but not so soon. My thought was that it’d drop for a couple boards since physicals and testing were slowed. Then once those started to free up we’d see an increase. I guess this just happened one board earlier than I thought.

Bummer too. As one of the weaker/more borderline packets I was hoping numbers would be down.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
I was expecting an uptick for these reasons but not so soon. My thought was that it’d drop for a couple boards since physicals and testing were slowed. Then once those started to free up we’d see an increase. I guess this just happened one board earlier than I thought.

Bummer too. As one of the weaker/more borderline packets I was hoping numbers would be down.
That may be why August had the high selection rate, fewer candidates left them little option?

Ghost SWO

Contributor
I've been in Hawaii since 2018. I rent planes at PHJR all the time and frequently fly over WAAF. Maybe we crossed paths!

Also, FWIW, I'm reenlisting on Monday, Dec 7 ?
Nice!

If you ever tuned into Wheeler Metro, you probably heard me give weather briefs to Army pilots.

Well I see on SkyVector that the Metro freq is not listed, nevermind :(

Last edited:

amclouth

What is cool about the possibility of hearing next week is the anniversary of Pearl Harbor. I think that would be a cool time to find out results for history buffs like myself. I was stationed there from 2014-2019

I’m sure the Army says Wheeler was the first attack site, but then NAS Kaneohe Bay was a couple minutes earlier.