• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 02Nov20 SNA/SNFO (Pilot/NFO) Board

TheCoon

It all becomes relative I guess, I said the same thing about my 3.6 being dragged down to a 3.3. Working in finance myself, has some perks but the reality is you just slowly lose your eyesight on MS Office all day on dull stuff (I'm still surprised I kept 20/20 after all the screen time).

That’s a good point. I think almost everyone has an area or two they’re not 100% confident in.

I hear you loud and clear on the office grind, too. I’ve quickly realized just how unhealthy it can be to work in front of a computer 8 hours a day. Can’t imagine doing this for 30+ years. My office is still working from home so I can at least step out and unwind periodically, but that’s one of my many motivators for pursing this.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Just curious, that’s not the same as SOWT, is it?

Close, same career different "shred-out". We get a lot of SOWT drop outs that go to the battlefield weather side (Army support), which allows us to go to ranger, airborne/air assault, jungle and/or arctic expert, and SERE schools where the regular Air Force support guys don't have that opportunity. We did our PT with the TACP's, but we don't hold the special ops title like SOWT, TACP, PJ, etc.

The most similar example is the Navy Corpsmen that go to support the Marines that have additional opportunity because of that assignment.

Elbandito

Just added my stats to our lil excel sheet, pretty modest scores, hoping the rest of my package will carry me through.

OAR: 49
ASTB: 5/6/6
GPA: 3.28
Degree: Digital Audiences
Prior Service: Y
NAM x4
Evals: EP, EP, EP
LOR: 05-05-05

TheCoon

Close, same career different "shred-out". We get a lot of SOWT drop outs that go to the battlefield weather side (Army support), which allows us to go to ranger, airborne/air assault, jungle and/or arctic expert, and SERE schools where the regular Air Force support guys don't have that opportunity. We did our PT with the TACP's, but we don't hold the special ops title like SOWT, TACP, PJ, etc.

The most similar example is the Navy Corpsmen that go to support the Marines that have additional opportunity because of that assignment.

Ah okay. It sounds like Special Warfare/AFSOC is going through a lot of changes right now, at least according to the Ones Ready guys. I wasn’t sure if you were part of it.

Your experience seems really cool, though. One of those unique jobs that not everyone knows about.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Ah okay. It sounds like Special Warfare/AFSOC is going through a lot of changes right now, at least according to the Ones Ready guys. I wasn’t sure if you were part of it.

Your experience seems really cool, though. One of those unique jobs that not everyone knows about.

Not particularly part of that realm, no. We sit in the same tent on exercises as the TACP's while we do our work, but we're operating on missions from different angles. I hadn't heard about AFSOC. I heard MARSOC was going through some possible reorganization and the Marines weren't too thrilled about the proposals.

Definitely a unique experience. I wasn't fortunate enough to have a set job before going to basic which meant my 97 ASVAB score guaranteed my selection into a critically manned job. I had no idea Air Force weather guys could even support the army so it was a drastically different 4 years of Air Force than I expected. That experience allowed me to take a ton of weather knowledge into my flying career which is a huge plus. Definitely don't regret it.

biscuitsandgravy

What's up guys my account finally got verified and I wanted to throw my scores in here(applying for SNA). I'm from San Diego and just graduated with a degree in Mechanical Engineering from Oregon State June 2020. I still have to go to MEPS, but have 20/20 in left and 20/30 in right eye with a little astigmatism. I also have a pterygium in my right eye that doesn't affect my vision, but looks whack. I'm nervous about getting DQ'd for my eye stuff, but don't feel like I have impaired vision.

OAR: 68
ASTB: 9/7/9
GPA: 3.43
Degree: Mechanical Engineering
Prior Service: N

Coriolanus

Pro-Rec SNA
Applying for SNA/NFO

Prior service : Yes (Airforce)
ASTB : 6/7/6
OAR: 60
GPA : 3.4
Degree : Theatre performance
No waivers or anything

Best of luck y’all!
Put wrong info, 7/6/7 are my correct ASTB scores.

Had some last minute trouble on my recruiters side but everything pulled through last second.

Three LOR's, one prior supervisor when in Air Force, One professor who was a NFO in Navy and taught at Air Force Academy, and another professor who has known me my entire college career.

I'm tempted to get a flight simulator to have some fun while I wait for the scores. Hopefully these scores roll out faster since we have (in theory) a better understand of COVID operations.

Marmaduke123

Contributor
What's up guys my account finally got verified and I wanted to throw my scores in here(applying for SNA). I'm from San Diego and just graduated with a degree in Mechanical Engineering from Oregon State June 2020. I still have to go to MEPS, but have 20/20 in left and 20/30 in right eye with a little astigmatism. I also have a pterygium in my right eye that doesn't affect my vision, but looks whack. I'm nervous about getting DQ'd for my eye stuff, but don't feel like I have impaired vision.

From some anecdotal stuff I've read before (can't pinpoint where) I think 20/30 shouldn't be an automatic DQ - fingers crossed for you in MEPS man and well done on the ASTB.

Ghost SWO

Contributor

Good scores! When do you go to MEPS? The cutoff is tomorrow (9/18/2020) for applications. Hope everything works out for you!

jgoldman18

Haha dude I have the SAME EXACT things going on with my eyes! I'm going to MEPS tomorrow. I'll let you know what they say. Fingers crossed.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Haha dude I have the SAME EXACT things going on with my eyes! I'm going to MEPS tomorrow. I'll let you know what they say. Fingers crossed.

Make sure you guys push for waivers. If something is disqualifying that doesn't mean that's the end of it. They'll write waivers for exceptional candidates if it's within medical limits, or something is asymptomatic, etc.

jgoldman18

Make sure you guys push for waivers. If something is disqualifying that doesn't mean that's the end of it. They'll write waivers for exceptional candidates if it's within medical limits, or something is asymptomatic, etc.

Thanks for the insight! I haven't tested for ASTB yet (my recruiter wanted to get me cleared at MEPS first for some reason) so I hope that doesn't DQ me from proving my exceptionalism, as you put it haha

alexng30

Recruiter just told me my application was successfully submitted! Good luck everyone! Competition seems pretty fierce these days.

Was told that results are usually posted 4-6 weeks after the board convenes. Just in time for finals for those of us still in school RIP.