• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ZIMBRA, anyone ... ???

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I'll second Thunderbird. I've been using it since 2002 and have had absolutely no issues with it. When I was at USNA, I hand my USNA, gmail and yahoo accounts loaded through TBird. It was all I needed.

As far as it being POP based, meh. I have had POP and IMAP accounts linked.

The other thing I like about Mozilla products is that they are highly customizeable.

No experience with Zimbra. However, if it works anything like TBird, it's probably a good product.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I'll jump on the Thunderbird train here. Been using it since '03 and haven't even thought about going elsewhere.

Ditto for Firefox.

I wish Mozilla made an operating system, too. . .

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
As far as it being POP based, meh. I have had POP and IMAP accounts linked.

The other thing I like about Mozilla products is that they are highly customizeable.

I was under the impression it only supported POP. Anyway, -1 to me for reading comprehension somewhere. I use T-Bird for my gmail account, and have had no problems.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
I'll echo for the fifth time support of Thunderbird.

All of my email accounts are done through gmail now, but when I had a non-gmail account I used Thunderbird and it was great.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll jump on the Thunderbird train here. Been using it since '03 and haven't even thought about going elsewhere.

Ditto for Firefox.

I wish Mozilla made an operating system, too. . .
It's called Linux and it's free. :icon_tong

<-- Nerdy enough to build my own computer and dual-boot Vista/Ubuntu

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
It's called Linux and it's free. :icon_tong

<-- Nerdy enough to build my own computer and dual-boot Vista/Ubuntu

But not nerdy enough to dodge Vista and get a stripped-down, OEM copy of XP pro.... ;)

Vista sucks ass (Vista user here)

I'm getting tempted to try Linux, but worried about application availability.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None

Its worh it. If you do try Linux, do what nittany did and dual-boot. There are something you may need to do that Linux desn't support.

When I was at school, I ran a Suse/XP sysytem. Linux worked for most applications. There were a few times when I hadto boot up Windows in order to lok at some stuff. But more oftn than not, Suse was fine.

If you do dual boot, you should have a way to transfer files between your Linux and Windows sides. I can't remember how Ihad mine set up, but I could view and edit between the OS.

Cheers,
Bubba

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But not nerdy enough to dodge Vista and get a stripped-down, OEM copy of XP pro.... ;)

BTDT. XP Pro didn't want to play well with the dual boot. I had to acquire a new hard drive to rescue the data I should have backed up from a corrupt boot sector. Vista's bootloader strangely seems to do better with GRUB. So by the time the fur stopped flying, I ended up with a Vista/Ubuntu machine that was stable and I decided to stop dorking with it before I fixed it to death.

Edit: As a Navy guy you will likely need some form of Windows/IE in order to check the flight schedule online.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot

I dual boot, like Nittany does. Personally I have Vista and Ubuntu. When I was filling out all my Navy application stuff I found myself using Windows a lot. I had to use Internet Explorer for the security clearance and didn't trust OpenOffice (the open source, Linux-friendly version of MS Office) for my forms. There are ways to run both of those in Linux, but it takes some knowledge and work.

Part of the reason I use both is because Vista runs slow on my laptop. I also just like linux for everyday stuff. It's secure from viruses and adware, smooth, looks good, runs fine, is free, etc...

Basically, unless you have a reason to change, it might be more trouble than it's worth IMO. But, it's easy to try so giving it a shot couldn't hurt either.

EDIT: As far as Bubba mentioned about viewing files between operating systems, there's a driver for Windows that shows your Linux partition and Ubuntu picks up my Windows stuff just fine.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
BTDT. XP Pro didn't want to play well with the dual boot. I had to acquire a new hard drive to rescue the data I should have backed up from a corrupt boot sector. Vista's bootloader strangely seems to do better with GRUB. So by the time the fur stopped flying, I ended up with a Vista/Ubuntu machine that was stable and I decided to stop dorking with it before I fixed it to death.

Edit: As a Navy guy you will likely need some form of Windows/IE in order to check the flight schedule online.

Even in college (and now in the Navy) I've realized I'm always going to need IE.

I don't know about dual boots, but I can tell you that an animation-stripped version of XP my bro was running is MUUUCH faster than the resource-intensive Vista. I mean I have 2Gb of DDR2 RAM and Vista runs OK. On XP it would be lightening fast. I should have bought my laptop a couple months earlier and gotten XP.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Otto,
I have a stock version of XP pr on my desktop, and it runs a bunch of stuff faster than my wifes Shitsta, I mean Vista, laptop. And my desktop is stone age compre to the laptop.

Vista is teh sux. P3ir10d.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Vista is teh sux. P3ir10d.

Amen, bruddah. I refuse to switch to Vista until they, at the very least, make it less of a system hog; and even then, they'd probably have to drag me kicking and screaming in to the wonderful world of Vista.