• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Yuma Airshow

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Just don't ask the FAA for any airspace releases beyond the field boundaries.
Again, if the commander is willing to say "F the violations", he can do whatever he wants wherever he wants.

I had a couple of hundred FAA violations lodged against my against me in the late 80s doing a single ISAR test flgiht off Long Beach. The FAA cancelled our airspace reservation because of the winds at LAX and it interfering with their approach corridor. There was a lot of mone ytied up in this test and rescheduling was not easily done. COMPATWINGSPAC talked to COMANVAIR PAC and they said "do it". We did. The FAA and airlines were pissed. For 8 hours, every time we started the southern leg of our race track we got "You're entering Los Angeles airspace turn left immediately to heading......" "Unable".... "Your violated" ...."Roger"....

Renegade One

None
...if the commander is willing to say "F the violations", he can do whatever he wants wherever he wants.
Good luck with that.

I'm pretty sure commercial airline management is similarly wired…could be wrong. No personal experience...

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Odd. No such thing exists for the Harrier Level III demo or the MAGTF demo.
Hornet goes left, Hornet goes right, Hornet goes fast, Hornet goes slow. How much is there to certify?

Certify may not be the right term to use. The FAA "air show regs" require:

North American and Foreign Military flight demonstration teams, single-ship demonstration teams, and mixed military and civilian formation demonstrations who conduct public performances in the United States require FAA acceptance of their command-approved maneuvers package or accepted aerial demonstration guidance by AFS-800. Some of the maneuvers described in these packages may not conform to all guidance requirements in Volume 3, Chapter 6 (e.g., airspeed, altitude over primary spectator area, etc.) and therefore require FAA acceptance of their maneuvers package.

Maybe the Harrier demo doesn't touch the regs on airspeed/altitude over the spectator area so the "acceptance" isn't required.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Lodged against you? Not your PPC?
I was the MC and CPW-10 held the MC responsible. But it was really lodged against the acft call sign as the Navy did not give out names. The FAA forwards the violations to the Navy and the Navy decides if it will eat them or give the FAA a name.
Good luck with that.

I'm pretty sure commercial airline management is similarly wired…could be wrong. No personal experience...
I realize it will probably never happen in today's environment. Big Navy is too scared of it's own shadow and bad press.

Airline management is all about passing it on to the pilot. Luckily we have the ASAP and NASA reporting as our get out of jail free cards. In my case, our FAA Primary Operations Inspector (POI) is a great guy. He's the guy at the FAA that decides if a pilot did something wrong, how bad and what penalty. Our's is very pro-pilot and extremely fair. You have to be purposely f'ing up for him to take any punative action. Other airlines aren't so lucky.

Renegade One

None
...Luckily we have the ASAP and NASA reporting as our get out of jail free cards. In my case, our FAA Primary Operations Inspector (POI) is a great guy. He's the guy at the FAA that decides if a pilot did something wrong, how bad and what penalty. Our's is very pro-pilot and extremely fair. You have to be purposely f'ing up for him to take any punative action. ...
"Honolulu Tower, this is Hawaiian-###…request a fly-by…" ;)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I was the MC and CPW-10 held the MC responsible. But it was really lodged against the acft call sign as the Navy did not give out names. The FAA forwards the violations to the Navy and the Navy decides if it will eat them or give the FAA a name.
I realize it will probably never happen in today's environment. Big Navy is too scared of it's own shadow and bad press.

Airline management is all about passing it on to the pilot. Luckily we have the ASAP and NASA reporting as our get out of jail free cards. In my case, our FAA Primary Operations Inspector (POI) is a great guy. He's the guy at the FAA that decides if a pilot did something wrong, how bad and what penalty. Our's is very pro-pilot and extremely fair. You have to be purposely f'ing up for him to take any punative action. Other airlines aren't so lucky.

UAE was notorious about letting you know you were violated for something or another crossing their airspace in 5th fleet. Never heard any more about it other than letting the skipper know when we landed and what the given reason was.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream

Yeah, I doubt it. I've learned more about airshows in the last six months, and really in the last week, than I previously knew in 20+ years of flying.

Mainly, that our system works pretty well, and that there are still those who don't understand the system that are determined to pussify it. I say that with a LARGE contingent of our participants as females, who were AWESOME by the way.

Thanks to all of those who showed up!