• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Yuma Airshow

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
They're on our secure flightline right outside my office, so I doubt it. There's a T-34B parked between them now.

Why would somebody need to stay with them all night? There's IRCM on almost every prop/chopper in the Marine Corps, including our newer OSA aircraft. Never been a problem.

I'm just surprised LAMPS would let them do that. They're treated as SECRET. I also had my tongue planted in my cheek for that entire post.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Well, supposedly these are Bravos, and one of the pilots is married to the FA-18F pilot coming out for the airshow. I am assured that we will have a Rhino here, so go figure.

I'm guessing you're talking static Rhino? I know Tac Demo was in Yuma last year but isn't on (what's left of) the sked this year.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I stand corrected. You don't normally see the buckets on Bravos unless you're doing some super-sweet tactical mission. Question: Why the IRCM? Is someone going to stay with the aircraft all night?

As a former MO, I'd be more concerned with the reason to have them on at all unless you're expecting a threat. (Not sure about Yuma, haven't seen the JIPOE yet).
Why take them to an airshow where they could get a facet broken...? Unless something has changed, they're a pain in the butt to replace!

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I'm just surprised LAMPS would let them do that. They're treated as SECRET. I also had my tongue planted in my cheek for that entire post.

Ah, got it. Yeah, they're no big deal for our guys that have them. Missed the sarcasm.

I'm guessing you're talking static Rhino? I know Tac Demo was in Yuma last year but isn't on (what's left of) the sked this year.

They were supposed to be getting "their FAA certification" this week, whatever the hell that's supposed to mean. So yes, all we were getting (and got) was a static display.

I think it had more to do with the fact that we had the Raptor demo this year.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As a former MO, I'd be more concerned with the reason to have them on at all unless you're expecting a threat. (Not sure about Yuma, haven't seen the JIPOE yet).
Why take them to an airshow where they could get a facet broken...? Unless something has changed, they're a pain in the butt to replace!

I agree, but then they wouldn't look super sweet and tactical.

Ah, got it. Yeah, they're no big deal for our guys that have them. Missed the sarcasm.

I'm trying to come up with a clever response to this, but I'll just piss off Navy helo dudes, so maybe some time in the future over a beer.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
They were supposed to be getting "their FAA certification" this week, whatever the hell that's supposed to mean. So yes, all we were getting (and got) was a static display.

The demo teams have to be certified by the FAA to fly shows since the FAA runs all the "rules" for air shows. Their demo at El Centro next week was just CNX'd today.

HuggyU2

None
...but I'll probably go just to make fun of my buddy flying the Harrier demo.
I met Pooch today. Good dude!

You know, despite the relative negativity, this is going to be a blast of an airshow.
Hell... it and El Centro may be the only ones for a couple of months.
BTW, bummer to hear that EC lost the Super Hornet Tac Demo today.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The demo teams have to be certified by the FAA to fly shows since the FAA runs all the "rules" for air shows. Their demo at El Centro next week was just CNX'd today.

Odd. No such thing exists for the Harrier Level III demo or the MAGTF demo.

Hornet goes left, Hornet goes right, Hornet goes fast, Hornet goes slow. How much is there to certify?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Odd. No such thing exists for the Harrier Level III demo or the MAGTF demo.

Hornet goes left, Hornet goes right, Hornet goes fast, Hornet goes slow. How much is there to certify?

Remember, certification is MUCH more important than functionality or proficiency.

That should be the shared motto of NAVAIR and the FAA.

Renegade One

None
How much is there to certify?
Min alts…crowd separation…whole lotta other "stuff". I'm not an FAA bubba, but I'm thinking "written in blood" lessons. I could be wrong.
I know a bunch of GA bubbas who have to work long and hard to get their "FAST" cards… (e.g.: Formation and Safety Team) credentials from the FAA. Why should the military be exempt for public displays?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Min alts…crowd separation…whole lotta other "stuff". I'm not an FAA bubba, but I'm thinking "written in blood" lessons. I could be wrong.
I know a bunch of GA bubbas who have to work long and hard to get their "FAST" cards… (e.g.: Formation and Safety Team) credentials from the FAA. Why should the military be exempt for public displays?

You have to brief that stuff in detail every day at every airshow anyway, so what's the point of being "certified?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Why should the military be exempt for public displays?
Because by law, the FARs do not apply to the military. We only follow them as a courtesy but can bust them if we want (and of course at your own peril if your commanders deem it inappropriate).

Renegade One

None
Because by law, the FARs do not apply to the military.
Unless you want an FAA "stamp of approval" on your "open to the public air show" that includes civilian performances, I guess. "Military Only" Family Days and "Tiger Cruise" air demos are, I guess, exempt… Just don't ask the FAA for any airspace releases beyond the field boundaries.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Unless you want an FAA "stamp of approval" on your "open to the public air show" that includes civilian performances, I guess. "Military Only" Family Days and "Tiger Cruise" air demos are, I guess, exempt… Just don't ask the FAA for any airspace releases beyond the field boundaries.

Yeah, we did all that. I've spent all day with the FAA reps (actually, great people).

The "certification" thing is made up.

Good fitrep bullet, though.