• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

You're too old to fly?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That was what I thought when I was accepted. This is the entire problem that I'm facing now. I think I'm as confused as you are. They're telling me to put pilot/nfo/swo as a selection. I'm saying I don't want to do that because I don't want them to come down and say "Congrats! you got picked up for swo!" (steve don't take that the wrong way ;)) Hopefully this will all be for nothing and everything will go the way it should. I'll know more by the end of this week.

After reading through this thread, I think it would be a mistake for you to assume that acceptance into the aviation "option" necessarily constitutes a granting of any applicable waivers. While the standard age waiver details may have changed between your acceptance into STA-21 and now (24 vice 48 months for pilots), I would think that you'd have to separately obtain your age waiver from the cognizant authority (likely BUPERS). If your ROTC unit isn't giving you the support you need (sounds like they're a bit ignorant of the process), I'd contact the STA-21 people at CNET and BUPERS to iron this issue out and get the ball rolling on the waivers you need. Keep your ROTC CoC informed, but don't let them screw you because of their own ignorance. Seek out the experts!

Brett

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
After reading through this thread, I think it would be a mistake for you to assume that acceptance into the aviation "option" necessarily constitutes a granting of any applicable waivers. While the standard age waiver details may have changed between your acceptance into STA-21 and now (24 vice 48 months for pilots), I would think that you'd have to separately obtain your age waiver from the cognizant authority (likely BUPERS). If your ROTC unit isn't giving you the support you need (sounds like they're a bit ignorant of the process), I'd contact the STA-21 people at CNET and BUPERS to iron this issue out and get the ball rolling on the waivers you need. Keep your ROTC CoC informed, but don't let them screw you because of their own ignorance. Seek out the experts!

Brett

Totally agree with you at this point. Like they say about assumptions. I've been looking at this thing from every angle that I can think of at this point. As of right now I'm going to see what happens w/ the CoC. The XO is going on leave tomorrow and has told me that it's in my court to follow up on everything. So, based on what I hear back from people tomorrow will determine my next step.

Now, my understanding is that the actual age waiver has to come from the community manager. Would it be appropriate for me to call them directly and try to hash this out? I just want to make sure before I go calling a CDR with regards to my situation. I'll make sure that I talk to my CoC prior to any phone calls as well. I'm not big on stepping on toes.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I think it would be a mistake for you to assume that acceptance into the aviation "option" necessarily constitutes a granting of any applicable waivers. .....I'd contact the STA-21 people at CNET and BUPERS to iron this issue out
I agree the STA-21 and BUPERS people are the ones to question but I would think acceptance into a program is a valid assumption that all necessary waivers are complete.

I'd look at the acceptance message and call whatever the BUPERS office sent it (PERS-XXX). I think that is the place to start.

fc2spyguy

pilot
Contributor
Ok, just got word back from the lady at BUPERS. I will be grandfathered with the old age restriction in place. YAY!

Now I need a beer.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Ok, just got word back from the lady at BUPERS. I will be grandfathered with the old age restriction in place. YAY!

Now I need a beer.

I'm just curious if there are any more details you got out of her that you can pass on. Is your situation special or is everyone going to be grandfathered until they change the opnav instruction I wonder.

fc2spyguy

pilot
Contributor
I'm just curious if there are any more details you got out of her that you can pass on. Is your situation special or is everyone going to be grandfathered until they change the opnav instruction I wonder.

The e-mail I received

Subject RE: Pilot Age Waiver
Good Morning

I talk to Mrs. *** and she informed me that he would fall under the
grandfather rule explained in the Service Select Message: STA-21
Target/Corps Option students selected prior to the FY06 selection board,
are grandfathered under the Program Authorization in effect at the time
of their selection.

I hope this helps.

v/r

Officer Development

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I was pretty sure that you would be good to go based on your originial acceptance message. Glad to hear this was indeed the case.

Have a few beers...you've definitley earned them.

Congrats again.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!

Now I need a beer.

So are you still putting SWO at the top of your service selection dream sheet?
I keed! I keed! :D

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Now I need a beer.
You're not safe until you get your wings. Watch your back. They may come get you one day just as you're getting ready to head out to the plane for a flight and haul your ass out to the nearest destroyer. :eek:

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
You're not safe until you get your wings. Watch your back. They may come get you one day just as you're getting ready to head out to the plane for a flight and haul your ass out to the nearest destroyer. :eek:

Is that the way it happened to you?

fc2spyguy

pilot
Contributor

Oddly enough, I'm way too old for the SWO pipeline. They're 27 w/ no waivers now. Honestly though, it wouldn't bother me one bit to be a SWO, I really enjoyed being out at sea.