• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

You're too old to fly?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Ok,

So here I am 152 days from commissioning (not that I'm counting:rolleyes:) and the office is talking about age waivers and what not.

My question is this: When I applied for STA-21 the 1420.1a stated age waiverable to 31 based on prior enlisted service. I requested a waiver in the application. There isn't a new instruction out, but the STA-21 website states 29 as the maximum age limit(website). Has anyone been in a situation that needed to be grandfathered?

So, here I am in limbo right now and slightly confused. Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated :D

phrogpilot73

My question is this: When I applied for STA-21 the 1420.1a stated age waiverable to 31 based on prior enlisted service. I requested a waiver in the application. There isn't a new instruction out, but the STA-21 website states 29 as the maximum age limit(website). Has anyone been in a situation that needed to be grandfathered?
Not that I know shit from shinola, but I'd assume that if the instruction hasn't changed, there's no need to be "grandfathered". The website probably lists the age that MOST candidates would be concerned with, not the waiverable age that only a couple would be concerned with. If you had said there was a NEW instruction, I might be concerned. But even then, not so much.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that if you are already "contracted" under a comissioning program that allows you to be that age and an SNA (waiver or not), then if they change the age - they can't pull the rug out from under you. Something about binding contract (works both ways).

Hursel110

None
Are you SNA option, or Core option? Like Phrogpilot said, if you're SNA option, they can't really touch you. If you're Core, you might have a battle on your hands.

GaugeNeeded

Carolina MAGTF
I sat down and read the instruction after a similiar fate. The instruction said that for SNAs, you must be comissioned by your 29th b-day. This applies to folks with prior service only. If you do not have prior service the cutoff is 27. For folks trying to apply for NFO the cutoff is still 27 unless you have prior service, then the cutoff is 31.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
It says this in section 2 right in the instruction under pilot option for STA-21.

b. Age. STA-21 Pilot Option candidates must be able to complete degree requirements and be commissioned prior to their 27th birthday. Maximum age limit may be adjusted upward to the 31st birthday with active duty or prior active duty service computed on a month-for-month basis.

If you got picked up into the program under this condition you should be good to go. The website is just referring to new people looking to apply to the program.

Hursel110

None
I sat down and read the instruction after a similiar fate. The instruction said that for SNAs, you must be comissioned by your 29th b-day. This applies to folks with prior service only. If you do not have prior service the cutoff is 27. For folks trying to apply for NFO the cutoff is still 27 unless you have prior service, then the cutoff is 31.

I'm not sure if you're reading out of a different instruction or what, but I just double checked the STA-21 instruction, and this is what it had to say:

opnavinst1420_1a said:
b. Age. STA-21 Pilot Option candidates must be able to complete degree requirements and be commissioned prior to their 27th birthday. Maximum age limit may be adjusted upward to the 31st birthday with active duty or prior active duty service computed on a month-for-month basis.

I just noticed that you are a marine, so you are probably looking at a different instruction. Just wanted to make sure spuyguy was clear that he is good to go, at least as far as his age is concerned.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
The reason that the website has different info is that the age requirement in the milpers manual (2005) is different than the opnav instruction (2003). Which one has precedence is the question. When it comes down to it though people always ask is this waiverable or is that? Come on now, everything is waiverable, it just depends if they want/need to waive it.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
The reason that the website has different info is that the age requirement in the milpers manual (2005) is different than the opnav instruction (2003). Which one has precedence is the question. When it comes down to it though people always ask is this waiverable or is that? Come on now, everything is waiverable, it just depends if they want/need to waive it.

If you get picked up for pilot under an OPNAV instruction strictly composed for the sole purpose of STA-21 you should be covered. Do you have a link to what you are talking about in the MILPERS MAN?

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Do you have a link to what you are talking about in the MILPERS MAN?
MILPERSMAN 1542-010 Which is Naval Aviation Training says 27 waiverable to 29 just like the STA-21 Website under the program requirement section. I was just making an observation that it makes sense that the opnav instruction most likely had the same requirements that a previous milpers version contained. Of course there is no way to know for sure unless you found that old manual. This sort of discrepency happens all the time between Navy instructions and manuals especially in my job I work in now (Navy training). It is a pain when the Navy says one thing one place and another somewhere else. Then we all scratch our heads trying to figure out what to do...

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
MILPERSMAN 1542-010 Which is Naval Aviation Training says 27 waiverable to 29 just like the STA-21 Website under the program requirement section. I was just making an observation that it makes sense that the opnav instruction most likely had the same requirements that a previous milpers version contained. Of course there is no way to know for sure unless you found that old manual. This sort of discrepency happens all the time between Navy instructions and manuals especially in my job I work in now (Navy training). It is a pain when the Navy says one thing one place and another somewhere else. Then we all scratch our heads trying to figure out what to do...

Yeah but you love it, just admit it. You are right, but when you get picked up for the program and get your orders to BOOST/ or just NSI, they make you sign a paper saying you know this is the only thing you got picked up for under your current conditions and you can't change bla bla bla (not actually what the paper says but you get the idea). So if he is already waiting to commission he should be good, because he signed that paper. They make you sign a new one once you leave Rhode Island also.

Hursel110

None
Well, chances are that when they rewrite the sta-21 instruction, it will have the new age limit in there. The good news for spyguy is that he is already in under the old rule, so he should be fine.

haubby

None
Contributor
Question I have is for the core option. The STA-21 website nor the instruction does not have anything regarding age limits for the core option. Does anybody know any specifics on that?