• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

You're too old to fly?

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Question I have is for the core option. The STA-21 website nor the instruction does not have anything regarding age limits for the core option. Does anybody know any specifics on that?

You have to meet all the of the normal requirements as a sole Core option, which are just all of the requirements for the STA-21 program. In your senior year of college when you put in your selection sheet, you will be held to the age (and all other) standards and the current requirements for the specific options you choose. They will be URL designators. So basically your going to choose Pilot, NFO, or SWO in whatever order you want.

e. Be able to complete requirements for a baccalaureate degree in 36 months. Applicants are encouraged to accrue as many fully transferable semester hours of earned credit as possible before beginning STA-21. Credits obtained through regionally accredited colleges or universities or the Navy College Program for Afloat College Education (NCPACE) program are considered fully transferable. Many universities do not accept all transferable credits because of their individual policies governing transfer of credits. Non-traditional credits (military service and service school credits, College Level Examination Program (CLEP) courses, vocational/technical school credits, correspondence courses other than NCPACE, etc.) should be used to obtain advanced academic standing to the maximum extent permitted by the university in which enrolled. Normally, credits obtained from foreign institutions are accepted; how¬ever, again, not all are considered fully transferable. Navy College Office counselors should be contacted for educational counseling to include determination of which credits will trans¬fer to specific universities.

f. Be able to complete degree requirements and be commis¬sioned prior to 31st birthday. Waivers of this requirement may be considered understanding that specific age requirements for certain STA-21 option programs differ. These are addressed in section 2.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When it comes down to it though people always ask is this waiverable or is that? Come on now, everything is waiverable, it just depends if they want/need to waive it.
Everything is not waiverable.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sure it is...doesn't mean it WILL happen just because you request a waiver. Plus some things require higher approval than others.
I'll repeat in Spanish for those that don't understand English.... No.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Does anyone know what preceeded MILPERSMAN 1542-010? It doesn't say in the instruction which one is replaced by the new one.

So, the saga continues. I was under the impression that acceptance to the pilot program meant that the waiver was granted. Well, according to MILPERSMAN 1542-010 I had to submit a waiver. However, none of the instructions regarding STA-21 reference MILPERSMAN 1542-010.

So, I'm trying to find a page 13 stating that I was accepted solely for the 1395 designator. Of course, when I reenlisted back in '05 they expunged everything prior to that from my paper record, and I'm currently waiting for my microfiche to come in the mail. I do have a copy of my entire service record, but I made the copy after I reenlisted so the page 13 may not be in there.

Essentially right now the only thing saying that I was selected for pilot option was the acceptance message. I guess I'll find out more this week.:icon_rage

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Essentially right now the only thing saying that I was selected for pilot option was the acceptance message.
I would think that is a BUPERS message saying you are accepted for pilot training would be good enough. Why not just go to the originator of the BUPERS message you have? Are they the office that accepts or rejects applicants? If they are and they say you're SNA, then your SNA.

Who's driving this? Some ROTC office or BUPERS? Is this some LT sitting around saying "Do you think..." or was it something that came from outside your current command. In other words, is this a locally concocted goat rope?

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Does anyone know what preceeded MILPERSMAN 1542-010? It doesn't say in the instruction which one is replaced by the new one.

So, the saga continues. I was under the impression that acceptance to the pilot program meant that the waiver was granted. Well, according to MILPERSMAN 1542-010 I had to submit a waiver. However, none of the instructions regarding STA-21 reference MILPERSMAN 1542-010.

So, I'm trying to find a page 13 stating that I was accepted solely for the 1395 designator. Of course, when I reenlisted back in '05 they expunged everything prior to that from my paper record, and I'm currently waiting for my microfiche to come in the mail. I do have a copy of my entire service record, but I made the copy after I reenlisted so the page 13 may not be in there.

Essentially right now the only thing saying that I was selected for pilot option was the acceptance message. I guess I'll find out more this week.:icon_rage

The MILPERSMAN 1542-010 says:

Applicability of this Article. This article is applicable to Regular and Reserve officers desiring lateral transfer or change of designator. Eligibility criteria for initial entry/commissioning into aviation training are addressed in MILPERSMAN 1131-010.

So I think you would have to look at MILPERSMAN 1131-010 (Which hasn't been updated since 22 Aug 2002). Even if you were picked up in 2002 you would have had problems according to this thing. It says:

Naval Aviator (1395):

Initial entry grade ENS
At least 19 but under 27; month for month waivers up to 24 months will be considered for in-service applicants who possess particularly exceptional qualifications.

If the 1420 doesn't reference it I don't see how they can hold you to that standard. Everyone there should have known which option you came with from NSI. Is your Unit giving you a hard time about it?

fc2spyguy

pilot
Contributor
The people driving this are my COC at the unit. We have to submit our selection criteria and age is one of the factors for me. Right now they're working through people down at bupers. I'm just trying to stay a step ahead if things don't go the way I would like them to.

The MILPERSMAN 1131-010 is referenced in the 1420.1A, but I didn't look at it thoroughly enough it seems.

Edit: Part of the issue was when they were asking me for secondary designators. I asked if I had to put that down due to me being a pilot option. Apparently I'm the first option other than Nuke/Core to go through this school for STA-21

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
The people driving this are my COC at the unit. We have to submit our selection criteria and age is one of the factors for me. Right now they're working through people down at bupers. I'm just trying to stay a step ahead if things don't go the way I would like them to.

The MILPERSMAN 1131-010 is referenced in the 1420.1A, but I didn't look at it thoroughly enough it seems.

Edit: Part of the issue was when they were asking me for secondary designators. I asked if I had to put that down due to me being a pilot option. Apparently I'm the first option other than Nuke/Core to go through this school for STA-21

At my school everyone had to choose four 3 URL and 1 RL. I was core so I knew I was going to, but when my friends who were pilot option told me they filled out four it surprised me. I don't know what form your school will use to put you in for an option, but I think they are all probably similar. The form I filled out had a statement block to fill out before I even put the order of designators. It also made me choose an RL designator. Point being, when you fill out the statement block and tell them all the great things you have done, mention your pilot option if you have not squared it away by then.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The people driving this are my COC at the unit. We have to submit our selection criteria and age is one of the factors for me. Right now they're working through people down at bupers.
Okay now I'm more confused. Didn't you "select" when you got picked up for STA-21? Wasn't that selection for a specific designator?

If you are a ROTC student seelcting, I'd understand the problem but I thought STA-21 is for a specific designator.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Okay now I'm more confused. Didn't you "select" when you got picked up for STA-21? Wasn't that selection for a specific designator?

If you are a ROTC student seelcting, I'd understand the problem but I thought STA-21 is for a specific designator.

Yes you are right in that you apply or select a specific designator, however, there is a "core" option. It basically means that you get your foot in the door and have to select your senior year similar to a Midshipman. FC2Spyguy applied for SNA outright, but there seems to be some confusion with his chain of command.

fc2spyguy

pilot
Contributor

That was what I thought when I was accepted. This is the entire problem that I'm facing now. I think I'm as confused as you are. They're telling me to put pilot/nfo/swo as a selection. I'm saying I don't want to do that because I don't want them to come down and say "Congrats! you got picked up for swo!" (steve don't take that the wrong way ;)) Hopefully this will all be for nothing and everything will go the way it should. I'll know more by the end of this week.