• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your Mom is a Garbage Shore-Tour

Duhgreat

New NSTC is trying to make every command like the Naval Academy, which is great in principle because I want to see these kids receive top level training and get tons of fleet exposure, but the issue is there are roughly 5-7 staff members at every NROTC Unit, and the new requirements, in addition to getting a masters and the regular student operations, are a killer. Unless you are okay being a total dirt bag and not doing any of the made-up work, NROTC is a real ball buster. Realize this is only my experience and it differs at every unit, but for every eligible JO eyeing an NROTC Billet thinking about how you'll show up at 0800, take classes, and be out of there by 1600 every day, come back to reality. If you want to slack off and don't care about moving on in the Navy, find a place with a huge wardroom (IE Primary) and ride off silently into the sunset...because at NROTC there aren't enough bodies to hide behind unless you are a Midshipmen.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
New NSTC is trying to make every command like the Naval Academy, which is great in principle because I want to see these kids receive top level training and get tons of fleet exposure, but the issue is there are roughly 5-7 staff members at every NROTC Unit, and the new requirements, in addition to getting a masters and the regular student operations, are a killer. Unless you are okay being a total dirt bag and not doing any of the made-up work, NROTC is a real ball buster. Realize this is only my experience and it differs at every unit, but for every eligible JO eyeing an NROTC Billet thinking about how you'll show up at 0800, take classes, and be out of there by 1600 every day, come back to reality. If you want to slack off and don't care about moving on in the Navy, find a place with a huge wardroom (IE Primary) and ride off silently into the sunset...because at NROTC there aren't enough bodies to hide behind unless you are a Midshipmen.

What new requirements?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
What new requirements?

I’ve talked to a few NROTC LTs and they clamped down on the whole “flex” schedule especially doing masters degree work during the day. The unit that I know the NROTC LTs their CO put a set 8-4 daily schedule but it sounded like a CO policy, not NSTC.

They are also required to interview all NROTC scholarship applicants. This used to be done by the NRDs entirely.

Duhgreat

What new requirements?
This post was slightly some internet therapy, but the summer training program is totally being revamped to where every LT is going to be assigned a duty. Previously, you did one summer training, and then the remaining summer's you had were yours.

Additionally, it has been stated at high levels that, "We do not care about you getting your masters." Which basically signaled to the whole NROTC JO Officer Core that one of the main benefits of doing an NROTC Tour is now looked at as something that shouldn't be supported at the Command.

Overall, complaining about long hours and working summers is a wuss move on my part, but the expectation was just so far removed from reality that it has been an eye opening experience

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This post was slightly some internet therapy, but the summer training program is totally being revamped to where every LT is going to be assigned a duty. Previously, you did one summer training, and then the remaining summer's you had were yours.

Additionally, it has been stated at high levels that, "We do not care about you getting your masters." Which basically signaled to the whole NROTC JO Officer Core that one of the main benefits of doing an NROTC Tour is now looked at as something that shouldn't be supported at the Command.

Overall, complaining about long hours and working summers is a wuss move on my part, but the expectation was just so far removed from reality that it has been an eye opening experience
FFS. And people wonder why we don't send due course officers to NROTC tours.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Dude, shut the fuck up. You are either trolling or an idiot.

I’d suggest you recheck your idea of what “work” entails and try to understand your audience a little better.

January is too early for “Dumbest thread of the year”...

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
January is too early for “Dumbest thread of the year”...

giphy.gif