• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your chances are....(penalty box for those who can't help asking about their chances)

RumRiverCATO

Try for pilot as your main option and CORE as secondary. Even if you don't get your target group, you can claw and bite your way into it if selected for CORE.

You're competitive...heck they picked me they'll pick anybody.

SoOthersMayLive

pilot
You can take the ASTB anywhere that there is a base. Your command can request it through CNRC. There are some stipulations on who has to administer it though, I think it is your command legal officer or something like that. All you have to do is call any place in the states that administers the test and they will happily tell you how to go about it.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Dont know what else.. A long story of how i ended up being enlisted without having a prior application turned in. Had it all done, measurements and all, gave it to officer recruiter, left for bootcamp hoping to be pulled out anyday for OCS and came to find out Officer recruiter never turned it in. He was friends with my enlisted recruiter. THey pulled a fast one on me.

buffaloflyer

Greetings and a question!

Hi All,

I've been lurking here for some time..what a great forum! I wanted to say hi, let everyone know a bit about me, and see what you more experienced folks think about my chances for getting into OCS/getting a flying slot are...

I'll be graduating from the University of Colorado in May with a degree in aerospace engineering. The only thing I'm concerned about is my GPA, which will be a 2.4. What I'm hoping the board will see is that my last 2 semesters have made a 4.0 (I made some mistakes early on). The rest of my stats look like this:

-22 years old/Male
-ASTB: 9/9/9 65
-PRT: Good High
-LOR: 4 from flight instructor, professor, former boss, former NASA astronaut/Navy pilot
-GPA: 2.4 (last 2 semesters have been 4.0)
-120 hrs of logged flight time, Private Pilot powered and glider ratings.
-Eagle Scout
-Squeaky clean criminal/driving record
-President of the Flying Club at CU
-Over 150 hours/year of volunteer time with various organizations
-Master SCUBA diver

Anyways, just wanted to see what you folks thought...I know they try to look at the whole person, so I'm hoping that they'll see past my low, low GPA.

Cheers!
Ryan

nikiterp86

Pro-rec'd INTEL!!!!!
Wow, you certainly kicked a$$ on the ASTB didn't you? Nice work, I hope I can do even half as well as you did! Just to warn you though... in my experience, people here tend to get annoyed with "what are my chances" type questions, so you may be facing quite a bit of flak for that haha. Be prepared, just in case :eek:

Best of luck to you!

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
If you've already taken the ASTB, then I assume that you are in contact with an Officer Recruiter. He would probably be the best source of CURRENT information available to you.

If you wanted to, you could go to talk to the NROTC unit at your school. They don't usually deal with OCS packages (mostly MECEP, STA-21, and NROTC) but they would be able to point you in the right direction.

Best of luck...

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
If you get selected that I would say your chances are 100%. If you don't then I would guess something less then that.

MrsPickle

MIT- Manatee In Training
Contributor
Welcome. As some of the winged guys are going to tell you (I am just a wife)... you're never gonna know until you try. The rest of your stuff looks good. They do ask for a transcript, so they will be able to see that you worked hard recently (as long as your classload was AeroE classes and such... not just underwater-basketweaving and bowling).

It sounds like you have a lot of stuff to write about in your letter to go with your OCS package. Make sure you talk about the stuff OUTSIDE of flying/school as well. Do you have hobbies? Do you volunteer? How does that make you a more-well-rounded person, etc...

Give it a try!
:)

jitiola

Tengo La Camisa Negra!!!!
From the outside looking in, seems like your biggest stains are your GPA and PRT scores. See what you can do about those, and if your recruiter says nothing; shoot the ball and hope for the best.

Good luck!

red_ryder

None
I had a similar package, and no prior flight time besides, and I got picked up. (For NFO but not Pilot, if it makes a difference?) I'd say your chances are pretty good.

bottlenose

Looks like Im not going to make the June boards.. but will make the July boards

Im applying for SNA only
I have a 3.0 gpa in Aeronautical Science
I scored 6/8/6 and a 50 OAR on the ASTB
I hold a commercial pilot license, instrument rating and CFI license with around 850 hours
LORs from Chief Pilot of my university who is now my boss. One from my former flight instructor while I was doing my training at my university and one from my boss when I worked for Red Bull energy drink, the "wiiings team".. I was a team captain for 2 years.

Cons: 2 traffic violations and a trespassing violation (I was 16 years old, skateboarding in a parking garage!). Experimented with marijuana 9x. I guess those are the only negatives in my package.

The air force doesnt really care about your degree, but how about the Navy? What about flying experience? Do these factors give me any edge?