• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your chances are....(penalty box for those who can't help asking about their chances)

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
I am 24 years old, I have a BA, I scored on the ASTB. My OCS package is almost complete: These improve your package. What really improves your chances is finishing the application. Then your odds go from 0% to better than that.
The only thing on my police record is a "leaving the scene of an accident with property damage. This does not help. My stats matrices indicate that a police record combined with an incomplete package renders your chances at approximately slightly less than 0%
Current demand for pilots is.
Precisely
So what do you guys think are my chances of getting in? Not one in a million until you apply. Better once you do. In terms of raw odds, divide the number accepted by the number who apply in your month. Then you'll have a hard number to use.
Also, is there anything I should do before sending in my application to better my chances of getting in? Cure cancer, solve world hunger, and check your spelling.
Thanks,
John

You're welcome,
Jynx

Srp7286

The people that get into the program varies way to much to make an assessment of what is a "sure thing".

CommanderHawg

Good evening, Gentleman (and possibly Ladies). My name is Drew Rogers. I graduated from the University of Arkansas in 2005 with a BSBA in Marketing Management. Since then, I've dabbled in a few different careers, but have not found any sort of satisfaction with any of them.

I can't help but to be drawn to the prospect of Navy OCS and becoming an officer. My father retired a Commander, and I see the strength and discipline it instilled in him. The leadership ability he learned as an officer in the Navy has carried over to facilitate further success in his post-Navy career. I've thought about following his path many times before, but have not been able to muster the will to finally pull the trigger.

Well, as of today, I'm deciding that I believe this is the right path, without a doubt. I believe a career of this sort will be the only career that I will truly enjoy, and that will set me up for future successes. In other words, I think I need to be hardened a bit in order to have the strength to do well in life. I also enjoy the prospects of seeing the world, and having the most honorable career possible.

Now for the questions. I know I have to take the ASTB, but I plan on doing surface warfare or intelligence, so I'm not required to take all of the examination, correct? Also, are letters of recommendation required? I believe my will is such that I'll be able to convince my officer-recruiter that I'm very motivated and determined, but will it hurt my chances a lot to have waited so long? I have military connections not limited to my family, so should that help?

I'm in decent shape. I'm 6'0, 180 lbs, and can run as much or do as many pushups as I need to for the requirements. I'm well spoken, which I know bodes well for leadership purposes. To an extent, know what to expect from military training from my family and friends in the service.

If someone wouldn't mind, I'd like a rundown of the steps necessary to get me to where I want, and need, to go: Navy OCS. Thank you.

Regards,

Drew Rogers

Falk

FS SNA
I am 24 years old, live in South Florida, and have a BA in logistics from the University of North Florida. I scored a 5/6/6 50 on the ASTB (took it once after studying for about 2 weeks). I have no prior flight experience. The only thing on my police record is a "leaving the scene of an accident with property damage (no one injured)" in which it was resolved adjudication withheld. Physically, I am in great shape and I am very motivated. My OCS package is almost complete and the only area I am interested in is becoming a pilot. I am not sure how high the current demand for pilots is, so what do you guys think are my chances of getting in? Also, is there anything I should do before sending in my application to better my chances of getting in?
Thanks,
John

These guys are obviously right when they say its practically impossible to judge what your chances are, but here are my two cents regardless...

If you think you can do better on your astb you should probably take it again. I don't know if you bought a practice book but those are helpful and there is a TON of information pertaining to the test on this forum and scattered on the internet that might help you improve your scores. Your scores right now are decent but you'll want to overcompensate for your police record, plus, the fact that you didn't mention your GPA means you'll probably want to compensate for that too. :icon_wink

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Welcome to the site! The first thing you should do is use the search function. Many people before you have asked exactly the same questions, and I know there are numerous threads about OCS on this site. If you can't find what you're looking for after you look around, then feel free to ask more specific questions.

SWCS242

SWO in-training
For intel you have to take the entire test, for SWO you don't. This was a mistake my recruiter made.

My best advice: talk to a recruiter, be ready to "hurry up and wait," don't get frustrated with all of the paperwork, remember their is a waiver for everything (unless you're a felon...then go army), and most importantly never ever ever give up or quit.

Best of luck!

The generic question "what are my chances" is best asked long before submitting a package or taking the ASTB. If you are convinced that you want to be a naval aviator, look at what competitive profiles are and assess yourself from there. Then, if you are lacking in an area, you can do things to make yourself more competitive. No one can know what your real chances are because the Navy looks at the overall person. Not just "oh he has flight time" or "he has a 3.9"

Before asking questions like this, search...search...search.. and read and read some more. When I started the process, I read this forum religiously...digesting every bit of gouge possible. In reality, most people know whether or not they have a shot or not. I would spend a lot of time (more than 2 weeks) studying for the ASTB and really knock it out if I had any doubts about whether my profile was competitive.

Just my $0.02

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

Only because I know a few things about anatomy does your user name stick out like a ..... sore thumb every time I see it.

I have to ask: did you just google penis anatomy and pick something that sounded obscure and funny or is there a reason that you chose your user name?

For those who are ignorant, "Vas Deferens" = a muscular connection from the epididymis to the urethra in which, through peristaltic contraction, transmits sperm to mix with seminal fluid in the prostate and passes it to the urethra during ejaculation.

So basically... wtf,o?

Haha. I knew that was comin.

(Backstory)

I took alot of Bio as an undergrad so I know my anatomy. That was actually an old name I used when playing late night Halo way back in the day with a bunch of inebriated buddies. There was always a competition to see who could create the most memorable and disgusting player name for the benefit of the ladies in the room. Other variations included the likes of "Sir Cumsize", "La Bia Majora," etc. Its memorable and therefore serves its purpose. I guess I could have just as easily been "f18fighterguy51"

m26

Contributor
For those who are ignorant, "Vas Deferens" = a muscular connection from the epididymis to the urethra in which, through peristaltic contraction, transmits sperm to mix with seminal fluid in the prostate and passes it to the urethra during ejaculation.

Unfortunately, I actually knew that. But mostly I just think of this when I hear it:

http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=101b5a12d0cfbb04900c0031321acb3d

There was always a competition to see who could create the most memorable and disgusting player name for the benefit of the ladies in the room. Other variations included the likes of "Sir Cumsize", "La Bia Majora," etc.

You lost. Why would you want to dwell on the ignominy?

Really, its ignominous? Apparently my warped sense of humor is not for everyone. I'd rather a few people find it hysterical and the rest just not get it than have everyone think its just moderately amusing. I actually think my avatar is more disturbing. This thred is way off topic now.

marq

three or four things

1. Ultimately, I want to be an attorney...as quickly as possible and I just don't see how being an aviator for 9-10 years will help me break into the field
2. I could potentially (and I realize the chances are very slim and rest upon a number of factors I can't control) lat transfer to JAG after my 1st sea tour
3. I've been experiencing some anxiety about the dangers of aviation. Don't get me wrong, I loved my summer cruise (with a prowler squadron) but now that I'm faced with the proposition of flying everyday, I worry about being an NFO and not having control of the plane. I experience the same thing with riding as a passenger in cars but to a lesser degree.
4. I hate waiting around. I will wait at least 2 months for IFS, then another 6 for API, and probably one more for primary (from what I've been told). I would much rather be learning something/achieving than sitting around.

What are the odds of redesignation?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
three or four things

1. Ultimately, I want to be an attorney...as quickly as possible and I just don't see how being an aviator for 9-10 years will help me break into the field
2. I could potentially (and I realize the chances are very slim and rest upon a number of factors I can't control) lat transfer to JAG after my 1st sea tour
3. I've been experiencing some anxiety about the dangers of aviation. Don't get me wrong, I loved my summer cruise (with a prowler squadron) but now that I'm faced with the proposition of flying everyday, I worry about being an NFO and not having control of the plane. I experience the same thing with riding as a passenger in cars but to a lesser degree.
4. I hate waiting around. I will wait at least 2 months for IFS, then another 6 for API, and probably one more for primary (from what I've been told). I would much rather be learning something/achieving than sitting around.

What are the odds of redesignation?

1. Seriously?! Brett was nice...I'll flame on...WTF were you thinking for 4 years? Might have been plenty of time at the Canoe U to think about going somewhere other than aviation and not wasting a spot reserved for people with fortitude. I guess quirming out of commitments WILL be good training for being a lawyer...

2. Whatever...I don't even have the care to worry about JAG lat-transfer...

3. Part of being in the military is trusting your life to the guy to the left and to the right of you. Maybe you should have watched more B.O.B. and less A Few Good Men...
People like me train our asses off not to kill douchebags like you...and guess what? I trust the Nav in the back with my life, as well as the enlisted guy running the radar who is fresh out of high school as well...they keep me from running in to shit and flying over people who will shoot me down... the trust goes both ways. What did you not get in your four years of indoctrination?

4. Hurry up and wait, fucking get used to it....

What percent get douchebag? 100% when you waffle this late in the game...believe it...
Pickle

marq

1. Seriously?! Brett was nice...I'll flame on...WTF were you thinking for 4 years? Might have been plenty of time at the Canoe U to think about going somewhere other than aviation and not wasting a spot reserved for people with fortitude. I guess quirming out of commitments WILL be good training for being a lawyer...

2. Whatever...I don't even have the care to worry about JAG lat-transfer...

3. Part of being in the military is trusting your life to the guy to the left and to the right of you. Maybe you should have watched more B.O.B. and less A Few Good Men...
People like me train our asses off not to kill douchebags like you...and guess what? I trust the Nav in the back with my life, as well as the enlisted guy running the radar who is fresh out of high school as well...they keep me from running in to shit and flying over people who will shoot me down... the trust goes both ways. What did you not get in your four years of indoctrination?

4. Hurry up and wait, fucking get used to it....

What percent get douchebag? 100% when you waffle this late in the game...believe it...
Pickle

not really sure why you are so enraged about my situation. i understand that you are upset that I've "taken someone's spot" but let's be real, the pipeline is backed up for a reason and it is because there are far too many SNAs and SNFOs. anyone who is truly deserving is in the pipeline.

i know i should have figured this out 2 years ago, but not everyone knows their career goals when they are 20 years old. if anything, you should be glad that i've figured this out now instead of after API or during the middle of primary after serious money has been spent on my training.

i'm not saying that i don't trust people. it is more of a probability thing with me than anything else.

your name calling is really mature. and i'm glad you can control your temper. thanks for getting real with me. :icon_mi_1