• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

You Get Selected For OCS. Then What?

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
If you have no prior service, you'll be paid as an E5. Spekkio, I believe nukes are a bit different and you guys got paid as E6's. But I know for sure, 2 years ago at OCS, we got paid as E5s.

croakerfish

pilot
If you have no prior service, you'll be paid as an E5. Spekkio, I believe nukes are a bit different and you guys got paid as E6's. But I know for sure, 2 years ago at OCS, we got paid as E5s.

I got paid as an E-5 (non-prior) and I was there this winter.

jjryan07

Iron Eagle
From a girl's perspective: don't propose until you're actually commissioned. Seriously. Think of it this way- If you can't make it 12 weeks long distance with a 1x/week phone call and an occasional email, then you certainly won't make it through 20 years of deployments, and PCS-ing every 3 years. Unfortunately, OCS will be the test you will need to see if you're both prepared to commit to each other for the long haul. She really needs to be ready to be your biggest supporter through this challenge and understand that you're no longer in charge of your schedule. At all. It takes a strong relationship.

With that being said, I would be curious to know when people would advise you plan a wedding for after commissioning. To give a short back story, my girlfriend and I have been together for 5 years. Our issue will definitely not be the time apart, as we have dated from distance our entire relationship (through 4 years of college 3 hours apart and now she is currently stationed with the Navy in Bethesda, MD 9 hours away). Ours is just an issue of trying to figure out when it would even be feasible for us to plan a wedding.

Does anyone have any advice on a good time during flight school where you can plan on having the ability to take at least a little time for a wedding or is the best route to wait until after? We know that both of us being active duty will not lend our situation much flexibility, but I know we won't be the first couple to try and manage both of our duty schedules and co-locate and what not. For me, personally, getting married sooner than later is appealing as it will be the only way of getting us close to each other geographically during our time in. I would like her to be able to be with me during flight school, but I just do not know if that is something very feasible with how much you move during flight school.

Advice and experiences from as many people as possible would be much appreciated.

banana380

pilot
I met the wife during Primary, and we got married the day after my winging while family was still there... Feasibility is going to be on a case by case basis though. +1 on seeing how you deal with the distance thing, half the fun of flight school is being single with your buddies at the bar during API and flight training...

My uniform bill was ~$3K, I got a Brooks Brother's shirt but regular blues, but bought a good bit of duplicate material for RLP... A second set of Khakis, and several NWU undershirts (bad idea in hindsight, only wear them for duty now... Never more than 2 of them in the wash at a time. Very comfortable tho ;) )

SeaHawk2011

FinSel SWO
Advice and experiences from as many people as possible would be much appreciated.

In my experience as a Navy wife, not servicemember, a lot of people (myself included) plan on getting married by a JOP to be legally married and then have a "big wedding" later when it fits with the Navy's plans for you. More often than not, it seems this big wedding never happens. Either because it's just a pain to try to plan without knowing when you'll be home, or (like in our case) a big wedding just doesn't seem important once you're married. We got married two weeks after my husband's first deployment, just us, the judge, and his sister; and ended up having a celebratory bbq with my family about six months later. Maybe we'll do a vow renewal ceremony or something on our 5th anniversary, but we'll see.

jjryan07

Iron Eagle
I really appreciate the input. I have definitely heard of the legal wedding first, ceremonial wedding second game plan. I do know a few people who have done it this way, and it has worked for them. It will not be an option for my girlfriend and me for religious reasons, but again I really appreciate your advice. SeaHawk2011, hopefully you get your ceremony eventually. Anyone else know of anyone who got married at any point during flight school. We understand flexibility will be forced on us, whether we like it or not. We want to have our wedding in our hometown in Indiana, but I have no clue whether there are periods of flight school that would even work for that. I was thinking that between graduating OCS and beginning flight school would be an ideal time, but it seems like you cannot plan on having much time between OCS and reporting to school.

pdt1530

I know this thread is nearly a year dead by this point but I wanted to hijack it for a second. My girlfriend and I are planning on doing the "marriage then ceremony" thing as mentioned by several others here on AW. However, we want to get married before I go to OCS (we have spent nearly 6mos apart while I was in Europe so the distance won't be an issue, besides, we have to get used to it as everyone has said ;)) instead of after being commissioned.

Anyway, my packet is awaiting the 15 July board right now and I'm wondering: is there a POC to whom I should tell once we tie the knot (assuming I'm lucky enough to get selected)? Also, will this cause a lot of issues in my paperwork since I'm still a wannabe and I haven't taken the oath yet?

I know this thread is nearly a year dead by this point but I wanted to hijack it for a second. My girlfriend and I are planning on doing the "marriage then ceremony" thing as mentioned by several others here on AW. However, we want to get married before I go to OCS (we have spent nearly 6mos apart while I was in Europe so the distance won't be an issue, besides, we have to get used to it as everyone has said ;)) instead of after being commissioned.

Anyway, my packet is awaiting the 15 July board right now and I'm wondering: is there a POC to whom I should tell once we tie the knot (assuming I'm lucky enough to get selected)? Also, will this cause a lot of issues in my paperwork since I'm still a wannabe and I haven't taken the oath yet?

I don't know exactly how it will work for you since you haven't been selected and aren't active duty yet. If it were me I would probably call up my recruiter and ask his opinion. There is a document called your "Page 2" which has items like your current address, marital status, beneficiaries, etc. That is what you would normally update. However, I can't remember how early they set up your Page 2.

I will say that it's a good idea to get married before leaving for OCS. I did the opposite, and while I've been lucky in my timing, it's been pretty stressful trying to get approved for leave while in post-OCS training. Not only that but the Navy will hook you up while you're separated. You will get BAH for 3 months for your home of record address, $250/mo for separation pay, and when you PCS to your next location you will get a Dislocation Allowance (DLA) which is a pretty healthy chunk of money to help with your move. Single guys just get straight up E-5 pay.

Everything I just said is more than likely a repeat of the above posts, but I'm not going to go back and check. :)

Angry

NFO in Jax
None

It shouldn't cause a huge issue because most of the paperwork the Navy needs for your dependents is done at OCS. One of your days during Indoc (or maybe its right after, memory slipping) you will spend about 5 hours in a classroom with some very helpful folks from the Newport PSD and they will walk you through getting your dependents into DEERS, SGLI, etc. You're also required to bring marriage certificates and spouse's ID docs with you to OCS. Call your OR and let him know that you got married - he will give you a list of everything you need to bring.

exNavyOffRec

No issues on the officer side, enlisted is different, once selected you will fill out additional paperwork to go over any "change of status" issues, list it there.

I was curious about the process between selection and OCS as well. Do you need a physical after selection and before OCS? I have a working flight physical and a meps physical that is dated. Do I need to do anything else?

NCHopeful

I was curious about the process between selection and OCS as well. Do you need a physical after selection and before OCS? I have a working flight physical and a meps physical that is dated. Do I need to do anything else?

My OSO told me that I would need to go to MEPS and get processed. I think only your OSO would be able to answer whether you need to go to MEPS once again.