• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

You Get Selected For OCS. Then What?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From a girl's perspective: don't propose until you're actually commissioned. Seriously. Think of it this way- If you can't make it 12 weeks long distance with a 1x/week phone call and an occasional email, then you certainly won't make it through 20 years of deployments, and PCS-ing every 3 years. Unfortunately, OCS will be the test you will need to see if you're both prepared to commit to each other for the long haul. She really needs to be ready to be your biggest supporter through this challenge and understand that you're no longer in charge of your schedule. At all. It takes a strong relationship.
Who is this new member from which uncommon wisdom flows so freely? ;)

Renegade One

None
What is this supposed to mean? Of course my life will change...
AJ: With respect, you're reading WAAY to much into my post. Lemme try again:
1. Congrats...if you get selected...you're going to love it. If you love it as much as I did...then cool. [Caveat: Few on this forum apparently do...]
2. I'm not "warning" you of anything. All the folks who posted above have covered most of that chapter and verse. I have nothing from my personal "toolbox of experience" to add. Lotsa "Goods"...some "Others" as well. Everyone's experience is unique.
3. Deployments/life on a boat are NOT the worst things that you will ever experience. They may be some of the best. Oh, the stories you'll tell your grandchildren about: "And mightily bored they'll be!"
4. Non-flying duties...long days/nights...life on a boat (not sure it's a drawback...kinda what makes us unique...)...yep..I remember those too.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
AJ: With respect, you're reading WAAY to much into my post. Lemme try again:
1. Congrats...if you get selected...you're going to love it. If you love it as much as I did...then cool. [Caveat: Few on this forum apparently do...]
And you're reading WAAY too much into what others post on this forum. I'd say that most of us love/loved our service in the Navy. We're just smart enough to be realistic and know that politics, CYA and over-reaction are ops normal and many times take a higher priority than actual mission accomplishment. We also know that when the Big Navy decides to dump on you, it's shit coming out of Big Navy's ass not butterflies. But it's family and you accept this behavior from family because you love them.

mess09

What is the uniform bill about? Do you mean an ensign officer has to pay out of pocket up to $3000 for uniform before leaving Newport at the end of the 12 weeks? Thanks

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
You'll get a one-time uniform allowance to the tune of 1200-1500. Your uniform bill at the end of OCS will be 1800-2200, depending on whether you opt for the expensive dress uniforms (my advice: don't. You don't wear them enough to matter). You can open up a STAR card account to knock 10% off the bill.

mess09

Thanks
Do they require full payment before leaving OCS or payments could be made later using the STAR card or any other card?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
You can use a credit card. But you do need to pay your bill with the uniform shop prior to leaving.

mess09

Wow , thanks for the information. I wasn't aware of this.
I talked to a recruiter couple last month and had my application started, but he wanted me to call him back in October because the next class is already filled up. He told me my application is not as competitive as others but I shouldn't have issues being selected. So meanwhile I'm just trying to prepare for physical trainings, keep taking my graduate courses and keep working.

mess09

How much do candidates get paid while in OCS approximately? Hopefully that could help pay the uniform form to some extend.
Thanks

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
You get paid as an E6 with less than 2 yrs of service. Google it. If you are married you'll also get BAH.