• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

You Get Selected For OCS. Then What?

I had a few questions about the waiting game involved after the selection board offers you a shot in OCS. I'm applying for the July board, and my recruiter said at the earliest we would find out by the end of the month.

Do you have a period of time to officially accept the offer? It's not that I'm unsure of my choice to apply, but I'm awaiting results for two boards, each giving results afew weeks apart from eachother.

After accepting an offer to Officer school, how long do/could you wait until actually leaving? I envision several months because there will be, at a minimum, a physical required. I've heard those can take months alone, due to long "waiting lists."

I ask because I'm unsure if getting my civilian flight instructor certification will be worth it for me at this point. Obviously, it is all but useless for a military aviator, but it will allow me to keep building flight time toward a civilian career in the event I am never selected. The bad part is, it's expensive for me right now and I wouldn't use it but maybe 2 months if OCS comes before 2013.

Next question. Upon successful completion of OCS, what is your next step and how quickly does that typically happen? I'd like to ask my girlfriend a certain question and have some time to plan an associated event before I really get into the thick of things. It seems very difficult to maintain a relationship during this journey if not married.

Last question. Does the Navy offer any financial backing during OCS? Do you begin earning a paycheck that early? I have a full-time job and the ability to save some money prior to leaving, but I have a car/motorcycle/school/insurance/phone bill each month that will add up quick with no income. Do you need a family member on board to make your payments while you're away?

Thanks for any insight,

Jones

jtmedli

pilot
I had a few questions about the waiting game involved after the selection board offers you a shot in OCS. I'm applying for the July board, and my recruiter said at the earliest we would find out by the end of the month.

Do you have a period of time to officially accept the offer? It's not that I'm unsure of my choice to apply, but I'm awaiting results for two boards, each giving results afew weeks apart from eachother.

After accepting an offer to Officer school, how long do/could you wait until actually leaving? I envision several months because there will be, at a minimum, a physical required. I've heard those can take months alone, due to long "waiting lists."

I ask because I'm unsure if getting my civilian flight instructor certification will be worth it for me at this point. Obviously, it is all but useless for a military aviator, but it will allow me to keep building flight time toward a civilian career in the event I am never selected. The bad part is, it's expensive for me right now and I wouldn't use it but maybe 2 months if OCS comes before 2013.

Next question. Upon successful completion of OCS, what is your next step and how quickly does that typically happen? I'd like to ask my girlfriend a certain question and have some time to plan an associated event before I really get into the thick of things. It seems very difficult to maintain a relationship during this journey if not married.

Last question. Does the Navy offer any financial backing during OCS? Do you begin earning a paycheck that early? I have a full-time job and the ability to save some money prior to leaving, but I have a car/motorcycle/school/insurance/phone bill each month that will add up quick with no income. Do you need a family member on board to make your payments while you're away?

Thanks for any insight,

Jones

-I got selected in March. Went to OCS October 24th.

-No, the CFI isn't worth it and wont matter.

-After OCS, you will report to Pcola for API. Time to start API varies, but probably wont be more than 3 months because you already have flight time.

-At OCS you'll get paid as an E-5 for the duration of your 12 weeks. Be aware that there is a substantial uniform bill to be paid before leaving ocs (about 3G's worth).

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for any insight,

Jones

If you are waiting on 2 boards they will not move forward on any selection unless you tell them to, or unless the boards are quite a bit apart.

What boards are you waiting for besides Pilot/NFO?

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
-At OCS you'll get paid as an E-5 for the duration of your 12 weeks. Be aware that there is a substantial uniform bill to be paid before leaving ocs (about 3G's worth).
This is to the OP. It's a little far ahead for you (you're working on selection/preparing for ocs), but just keep in the back of your head that you don't need more than one or two of each uniform item. You're going to want to buy more than that. (I certainly could've done fine with only half of what I bought). Good luck.

If you are waiting on 2 boards they will not move forward on any selection unless you tell them to, or unless the boards are quite a bit apart.

What boards are you waiting for besides Pilot/NFO?

The AF 12OT03 rated board. I don't want to get ahead of myself but if I were to be selected on both sides I was hoping I would have ample time to make the right decision that best suits me. So far I'm completely torn, but I'm reading as much as I can.

If I could possibly be waiting for an OCS date for 7the months I would probably move forward with my civilian CFI. That's plenty of time to pay off the training debt and I would enjoy it much more than my weekend graveyard airline mechanic gig.

Thanks for the good information, makes me feel better to be able to wait and see how the AF board transpires.

exNavyOffRec

That is more than a few weeks, in general once results are released you have 30 days to have all documents in, you can get an extension but documentation has to be provided as to why the delay, such as issue with MEPS, if none is provided you will get a non activity letter.

I would expect the results to be out the week of July 23rd, say July 27th, you will have until August 24th to get the stuff in, with an extension possible to Sept 21st, and with the upgrade just done to CIRIMS your billet would go away on Oct 19th, IF you were able to get an extension, however extensions past 60 days without extenuating circumstances are rare now.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
My uniform bill came out to like $1900, and I had to replace a broken combo cover like 3 times. How did you get up to 3 grand?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
My uniform bill came out to like $1900, and I had to replace a broken combo cover like 3 times. How did you get up to 3 grand?

Maybe a lot of people in his family received "OCS NAVY" sweatshirts and other schwag as Christmas presents... not that I would have ever done anything like that when I was a candidate :rolleyes:

Renegade One

None
Upon successful completion of OCS, what is your next step and how quickly does that typically happen?
Then your life changes...for the better, in most cases, but forever, in all cases. You've been warned. What you do with that info is largely up to you...before you accept the offer.
If you're actually not all into "life altering changes"...turn 'em all down, go get your CFI, never look back and have a nice life.

jtmedli

pilot

I was qouting on the high side. Mine wasn't quite that much either. But was pretty expensive. The STAR card thing helps out a lot.

BUDU

I was qouting on the high side. Mine wasn't quite that much either. But was pretty expensive. The STAR card thing helps out a lot.

Most people in my class paid slightly above $2000. I think mine was something like $2700, but I went for the Brooks Brothers dress blues and ended up buying a second pair of boots.

Then your life changes...for the better, in most cases, but forever, in all cases. You've been warned. What you do with that info is largely up to you...before you accept the offer.
If you're actually not all into "life altering changes"...turn 'em all down, go get your CFI, never look back and have a nice life.

What is this supposed to mean? Of course my life will change. Right now, I think that would be one major advantage. Don't beat around the bush, what are you warning me of? After all is said and done are you unhappy with your career in the military? I like to hear the bad (forums are a great place for that), but every job is going to have it's down sides. What are the good things about your job?

For someone that wants to make a career out of flying, any career path is going to be life changing. A large number of airline pilots (at least at the regional level) hate their jobs. I could take that route clawing and praying for that flow up to a mainline. Corporate and mainline guys enjoy their jobs, but those positions are obviously not available to someone who is trying to start a career.

I know the military route will be difficult and unpleasant at times. I'm not looking forward to 80% of my work going towards things other than flying, but at the end of the day I do believe it's a superb way to begin a career. It must be earned, but the benefits such as pay, insurance, living costs, etc are far and above anything I can do in the civilian world right now. Ex-military aviators have every advantage when deciding to leave for a career outside the military, too.

So, best case scenario, I am selected and make it through all the training. I put in 10 hard years and decide to leave, then land a job with UPS or FedEx at the age of 38. I think I would be extremely lucky to be on the bottom of the seniority list as an FO with a major carrier if going civilian.

I'm not trying to use the military as a leg up, or a stepping stone for some dream job I have on the outside. But that is something to consider in the grand scheme.

Baaah... the morning grumpies. Where's my coffee? :eek:

Here's my military ignorant "new guy" list of pros and cons. Add or subtract as necessary.

Pros:

- Protect our country, people dig that.
- Pay, insurance, living expenses, etc.
- Adventure, travel
- Military aircraft > regional airliner
- Better career opportunities as civilian
- Retirement, if you can do the 20.
- This :cool:

Cons:

- Deployments
- Away from family/friends
- Non-flying duties
- Long days/night for many years
- Life on a boat (One of the drawbacks of the Navy, IMO)

cecilia850

You can't fix stupid.
From a girl's perspective: don't propose until you're actually commissioned. Seriously. Think of it this way- If you can't make it 12 weeks long distance with a 1x/week phone call and an occasional email, then you certainly won't make it through 20 years of deployments, and PCS-ing every 3 years. Unfortunately, OCS will be the test you will need to see if you're both prepared to commit to each other for the long haul. She really needs to be ready to be your biggest supporter through this challenge and understand that you're no longer in charge of your schedule. At all. It takes a strong relationship.