• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Yet another DCA Thread

phrogpilot73

Buddy of mine just forwarded this to me... Feeler & Poncho's gouge to the DCA program. Geared towards Marines that are considering the jump. And just for the record - finished up my package today, going to the USCG recruiter on Wednesday, and I'm going to go up for the board in May!

Quick question - in this gouge, they say to wear service alphas (green pants, khaki shirt, khaki tie, green jacket) for the interview, but I was planning on wearing charlies (green pants, khaki short sleeve shirt), what does everyone else think? Only reason I ask is that they don't fit anymore, and I don't feel like dropping a ton of money on a USMC uniform only months before I get out of the USMC...

Attachments

• Feeler & Poncho's USCG Gouge 2.doc
    47.5 KB · Views: 432

sardaddy

pilot
You can wear your Charlies but you will be the first one ever. Wear the Alphas. Would you go to a civilian interview wearing a polo shirt? However, don't expect the board to be in full dress. Because they won't be.

Now for the gouge. Overall it is fairly accurate but there are a few items that could cause some trouble.

"If you want to bring some with you, as I did, make sure it’s in the comments section of your DD-214. Something like, “45 Days of Leave were not sold back and will be transferred to the Coast Guard upon commissioning” should do the trick."

The only way that will work is if you transfer to the CG within 24 hours of leaving your other service. After the 24 hour break, even with that in your DD-214 you are SOL and you will get no carry over leave or DLA.

"The party line is that with anything over 8 years active duty you are released from your IRR obligations, DO NOT BELIEVE THIS!"

Pretty true. In actuality, after eight years you have no IRR obligation. but unless you resign your commission you will still be in the IRR when you leave. Yes, you do need to get out of IRR. If you didn't get out when you left your service, but you get into the CG just find the proper rep and you will simply have to fax them info showing you are active duty in another service and you will be removed from their rolls. It literally took me 10 minutes once I contacted them. This was after I got a call for CG finance stating I was still in the IRR.

Additionally. Do not forget that if you had a break in service your IRR time counts for a lot of things so don't blow it off. That time counts for pay while you are active duty, it will count toward retirement above and beyond 20 yrs active duty, it also counts toward ACIP. So don't lose track of it and get it entered in when you inprocess.

"There was a guy I was going up against who was coming out of Denver and interviewed at AirSta San Diego, and his trip was paid for."

This is the first I have ever heard of it and I for the life of me cannot figure out who would pay that. The unit is just conducting the interview, the recruiter doesn't get money for that, and HQ gets more than enough applications. In other words, don't count on it.

"All things being equal, they seem to like the Naval Aviator training as opposed to Army Warrant Flight School, so you can reasonably expect that if all things are equal, the board will probably select the Navy or Marine Aviator over the Army guy."

Ummm, no. Not even close to the truth. the boards don't care what flight program you went through. You just have to be a good pilot and one that the CG wants to have.

Good luck to those that apply

phrogpilot73

You can wear your Charlies but you will be the first one ever. Wear the Alphas. Would you go to a civilian interview wearing a polo shirt? However, don't expect the board to be in full dress. Because they won't be.

Good to see that the gouge was pretty accurate... No, I wouldn't wear a polo shirt - good point. I guess I just assumed (wrongly) Charlies, because I've worn Alphas a sum total of 4 times in 8 1/2 years. Looks like I'll be buying a new Alpha jacket (the only part that doesn't fit)... The one thing that bothered me though:

Some things to remember though, Cape Cod, MA; Savannah, GA; and Barbers Point, HI are almost impossible to get first time around.

I'm assuming that almost is the key word. i.e. - my wife is an active duty Navy Lt with orders to HI, do they take that into account?

Also, just curious do you know how many applied and how many were accepted at the last board?

sardaddy

pilot
Some things to remember though, Cape Cod, MA; Savannah, GA; and Barbers Point, HI are almost impossible to get first time around.

I'm assuming that almost is the key word. i.e. - my wife is an active duty Navy Lt with orders to HI, do they take that into account?

They might take that into account. But the thing to remember is that with the exception of units in in Kodiak, AK every station needs new pilots so there is a possibility to get to any station. The reason some believe it is virtually impossible is because that many second tour pilots try to get to those stations but as I said, they need a good mix of folks at every station so they all need new copilots. What it really depends on is what happens to be available at the time of your selection. Just like any other services we get vacancies throughout the year at different locations due to retirements, unit buildups, personnel shortfalls etc. It is really a bit of luck on what happens to be open when the call comes. If Barber's point has an open billet and you ask for it and pass your reason, it will certainly be considered. It may not be be accepted but it will be considered.

Also, just curious do you know how many applied and how many were accepted at the last board?

Well, I know there were nine accepted, with five additional alternates. I believe there were 19 applicants.

phrogpilot73

Got an email from the recruiter. My interview is scheduled for March 20th in Elizabeth City. Any suggestions beyond the gouge I've already heard about how to prepare?

phrogpilot73

I suggest you come back and fill us in!
Suggestion taken... I am now interview complete. I ended up having three DCA's for my interview board, one was a USNA grad ('83) and a former Navy H-3 pilot, one was a former Army CWO and 60 pilot, and the last one was a former USMC Phrog guy. I think the interview went fairly well. The senior member of the board said that it was a great interview, and that he looks forward to seeing my name on the selection message. He could be blowing smoke up my ass, but hopefully it was true.

I got to Elizabeth City early, but they were just about ready anyway so I only had to wait for about 5 minutes. At this point, I want the USCG so badly, they could have had me waiting for hours. They brought me in, introductions all around and then they launched into the 7 canned questions. The former Phrog guy even explained that they were the same questions that he was asked, so he was surprised that I didn't get the gouge. The first question was on CRM, the second was briefing an Approach (thank God I studied), the third question was being assigned a task I didn't know how to do, how would I go about it, the fourth question was on ORM, the fifth question was on Leadership, the sixth question was asking how I'd deal with an EP, and the final question was on integrity. I'm going to add to Feeler and Poncho's gouge later today and dump everything I can remember up to this point, and repost - just in case other guys might be interested.

After the seven questions, I got some very pointed questions from the former Phrog guy (did you volunteer for the FAC tour, etc...) and then we talked about life in the Coast Guard, duty stations, missions that the Coast Guard does, life as a DCA guy, understanding that you are no longer in the USMC and must swallow your pride, etc... Finally, the senior member of the board and the former Phrog guy took me out to the flightline to show me a HH-60, and we talked about division of duties in the aircraft, etc... It felt good when they started to refer to "when you're in the Coast Guard" rather than "if you get picked up."

After that, I bid my farewells and the senior member of the board gave me his home and cell number, and told me that he would make sure that they write what they need to write for me to get selected. All in all, I think it went pretty well... Seems that the sleep I lost last night really wasn't worth it!

phrogpilot73

Now the waiting starts...

I FINALLY heard from my recruiter (I've been calling/emailing him almost every day since my package was due to the board last Friday), and the board has my package. Now, the nail biting waiting starts. I know that the USMC has a way I can check message traffic online (i.e. MarAdmins, ALMARS, etc...) is there a way I can do that with the USCG so I can keep up on when the board convenes, results of the board, etc... Or am I stuck waiting on hearing from my recruiter? Those of you in the USCG, if you could post the message when it comes out, or even PM me - that would be awesome!

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
I will send you a PM if possible when the results come out...good luck, hope you make it!

phrogpilot73

Thanks for keeping your eye out for the message. The saga continues - The recruiter called me today. One of the interview board members apparently contacted some people in my current command, so now my interview is tainted. A.K.A. "null and void" - I'm waiting to hear when my new interview is going to be scheduled for... At least I know what the questions are now! :D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks for keeping your eye out for the message. The saga continues - The recruiter called me today. One of the interview board members apparently contacted some people in my current command, so now my interview is tainted. A.K.A. "null and void" - I'm waiting to hear when my new interview is going to be scheduled for... At least I know what the questions are now! :D

Wow. This seems like a bush-league mistake (not that BUPERS hasn't done some douzzies). Any of you CG guys care to comment on how common this is (officially or unofficially ;) )?

Good luck w/ this, phrog. I expect to always have at least one constant contact living in HI at all times...and since webmaster doesn't seem to want to come home... :)

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Phrog - good luck man! It will all be good. Stay sane!

Keep us posted when you get the word!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Okay, dumb question, but why would one of the board members contacting your current command make your interview null and void? It doesn't strike me as an somethign that is as shifty as other disqualifying factor/screw ups (like releasing the board results to your buddies). Just curious........