• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Yes Tailhook

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
There is also a private (kind of) lake that alot of students live on. It's a little out of the way from everything that Meridian has to offer. During the summer months, the lake is where the biggest population of studs would be (thats after pcola, bhm, jackson, etc of course...).

ripperman94

pilot
I also selected Tailhook Meridian this week. Does anybody have a copy of the Natops in electronic format they could email me? One other question. Does ground school start after the centrifuge date? Thanks for the help.

Raptor2216

I'll be joining you guys in meridian in a few weeks. I had my heart set on K-ville but that got changed a day after selection so now i'm looking forward to the good things MS has to offer. I read the posts about the whole "meridian attridian" but I just don't pay attention to that crap anymore because they said the same thing about VT-27 here in corpus and I seem to have done just fine.

For the guys who are there right now, what is the attitude like? Are they instructors "better" than some of the IP's you are very likely to run into during primary? What are the briefs like compared to primary? As far as expectations go in the cockpit, what is it like compared to primary? Do you get scolded for making the common student mistakes? I know these are very generic questions but i'm just nervous in anticipation just like just like all you probably were when you were in my shoes. I'm just looking to find out what I should expect and how to best prepare myself to do well.

psuSNA06

The master gouge packet is at office max. I'm in one of the new tailhook classes with the TIMS tests, and a lot of the old gouge still works.

port_tack

For the guys who are there right now, what is the attitude like? Are they instructors "better" than some of the IP's you are very likely to run into during primary?

The IPs are fine. The sim instructors on the other hand are world (in)famous. There's a youtube video someone posted here a while back that has a clip of one of them in action.

What are the briefs like compared to primary?

It tends to be less of an inquisition than primary.

As far as expectations go in the cockpit, what is it like compared to primary? Do you get scolded for making the common student mistakes? I know these are very generic questions but i'm just nervous in anticipation just like just like all you probably were when you were in my shoes. I'm just looking to find out what I should expect and how to best prepare myself to do well.

If you did well enough to get here, you'll be fine. Just show up prepared like you did in primary. You start with BIs then RIs here, which has the benefit that you're not expected to know everything about the jet right off the bat. By the time you get to Fams, you'll have figured most of the big stuff out, so you just have to learn to fly.

Once you start ground school, you can get practice sims. Get all the practice sims you can, then do some more. You can never do too many. Ground school lasts a long time (5 weeks, IIRC). Drink a lot of caffeine. You'll need it when Mr. K. is 2 hours into a 1 hour lecture.

Welcome to Meridian. It's not the nicest place but neither is Kingsville. You'll be glad you're flying Charlies.

P.S. Don't live on the lake.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
The sim instructors on the other hand are world (in)famous. There's a youtube video someone posted here a while back that has a clip of one of them in action.

7:20....

Thats his normal 'calm' tone of voice in that short clip. I wish someone recorded my wep sim with him. I had a ringing (ring?) in my ear for the rest of the day.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None

7:20....

Thats his normal 'calm' tone of voice in that short clip. I wish someone recorded my wep sim with him. I had a ringing (ring?) in my ear for the rest of the day.

Oh man that was hilarious. Takes me back.

On another note, I noticed the bar tender from Outback was in some of those pictures, glad to see studs are STILL banging her.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Bud Light Presents……..Real Men of Patience.
(♫ Real men of patience)

Today we salute you, Mr. T-45 Sim Instructor
(Mr. T-45 Sim Instructor)
Breaking it to me nicely that I am the worst pilot ever. Without your multiple ejection stories, fake accent, and an IMC electrical failure, my 6 AM hop would be incomplete.
(♫ What a ba’d pull!)

And just when I thought the hop was over, you pause the sim and lecture me like I am listening.
(♫ ooh yeah right!)

So I can’t fly the ball, maintain parade, or tell you why both battery switches are off.
(♫ Gimme a freaking bone!)

So crack open an ice cold Bud Light Mr. T-45 Sim Instructor....you haven’t flown since Carter was in office but you still earn your pay the hard way
(♫ Mr. T-45 Sim Instructor)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
JD was my on-wing for T-2 sims. He hasn't mellowed much, but then again, he wouldn't be JD if he had.

My claim to fame was saying "I'm working on it, ASSHOLE" to "The Yeller" on a A-4 RI sim.
He was actually pretty cool about it. He said (after the sim)

Yeller: "You don't have to call me an asshole. Just work it on-speed".

me: "You heard that?"

Yeller: "The whole building heard that"