• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Yay! VMI 2012!

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
That's my Brother Rat you're talking about. We take the Ratline very seriously. Don't go insulting upperclassmen, it would be a very bad idea. And with that, I believe this thread has proved its usefullness.

Go to a military school if you want the military school experience. In the end, it's all the same commission and there's only one U.S. Navy/ Marine Corps.

By no means did I mean that as an insult! :eek: When I said "lol", I just meant that I fully expect to live the rat life. And I am not going to shy away from that at all.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Apologies if I came off as a prick, the point wasn't to bash schools, rather to clarify the miscomception of the service, and specifically Naval Academy.

I agree that there are definitely some sh!tbag people that come out of this place. Anyway, AllAmerican, just guess I misinterpreted your little "shock" smiley. Again, apologies. DSL, congrats on getting it, good luck making your choice.

Cheers.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
What motivates you makes me laugh hysterically.

I meant that half-jokingly. Now, the recruiting commercial does in fact motivate.

Dan, no apologies necessary. I must admit I join my BRs in mocking the other military colleges regularly, but at the end of the day, I'd have no idea sharing a beer and trading a few stories with the other guys. In my view, we all end up going through pretty much the same shit, and that freshman year sucks no matter which school you go to. As a matter of curiousity, do you all still brace/strain?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dan, I wasn't bashing the USNA. I was just under the impression that y'all didn't have sweat parties at Annapolis. I was more surprised that you knew what one was. And to clarify, while our Indoc Week is only 9 days long, the Ratline itself lasts for about six months. The shit doesn't stop until you reach the end of those six months.

That's my Brother Rat you're talking about. We take the Ratline very seriously. Don't go insulting upperclassmen, it would be a very bad idea. And with that, I believe this thread has proved its usefullness.

It is all nice and good that you are very proud of your school, and that you take it all so seriously. But take it from someone who went through a very similar experience as you did, step back and cool it a little. You have to remember that you only have a year and a half of experience at a single school, and I doubt you have experienced other schools other than a quick visit. Having spent some time at other military schools, they all have their unique aspects, it does not make them any less of a military college.

Sitting here talking trash about sweat parties to a number of people who have really been there and done that, in the real world, does not really go over that well. So cool your jets there, sophomore.

Why don't you go to a real college where you don't have to pay out the @ss to be treated like sh!t and stand duty. Don't waste 4 years on something that should be the best time of your life. The only reason I would go to a place like VMI would be if I was offered a full scholarship.

Well, I needed the swift kick in the ass and the discipline to get through college. I borrowed and my mother paid, and in the end it helped me reach my goal of becoming a Navy officer. Since then I have more than made up for any partying I 'missed' in all over the world. So what is the problem with going to a military school if it what you want to do?

Like I said, go to a college where you DON'T pay out of your @ss to be treated like shit cuz guess what, you still have to complete OCS before you can be one of us.

If you participate in NROTC and meet the requirements for a commision, you do not go to OCS.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
That is what made me laugh. Some guy made an "I love my school" video and put it on youtube. Just my opinion.

If you saw the official recruiting commercials, you'd see why Kerrebrock's commercial is so motivating. Also, we tend to be a loyal bunch here at VMI. No idea why, just it becomes somewhat of a Mecca for Alumni.

Flash, I wasn't bashing any schools. I already explained myself on that part. As for taking the Ratline seriously, I make no excuses on that part. That's how we indoctrinate, train, and mold the Rats into proper Cadets and VMI Men. It's a serious subject if you ask me, just like Plebe Summer is for Dan.

The AW :) Lamp is ON and shining brightly.

phrogpilot73

You know, come home from class, shotgun a beer, watch dukes of hazard, go to gym, chase women.
That's exactly what my experience was like at USNA! No Shit! Well, minus the beer and women... :D

Who the fuck cares dude?
Couldn't have said it better myself. Comparing dicks is a waste of time. Enjoy your time in college, and be proud of where you came from, but keep the my school's better than yours bullshit where it belongs - in junior high.

Rasczak

Marine
Oh oh OH! one more plug...

know why my school is better??
Tico's Happy hour right across the street. $1 draft from 4-8. Everyday.

Navyfan06

pilot
To the Orginal Poster - Good luck at VMI, I went to The Citadel and like everyone else has concluded, freshmean year is gonna suck. But its worth it in the long haul.

Also I would suggest a good pair of running shoes and get your butt running, all the time. The better shape your in the easier your life will be. Best of luck.