• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Yay! VMI 2012!

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
I got it in the mail today! My conditional appointment to the Viriginia Military Institute for the Class of 2012! :party_125

Woot! So far, I have to decide between VMI and ERAU!

(Now I just have to wait and see what happens to my NROTC Scholarship!)

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
A few suggestions.

1.) It is the Virginia Military INSTITUTE, not academy.

2.) The Class of 2012 does not exist yet.

3.) Congratulations and welcome to the family.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
A few suggestions.

Flaming via the internet is so cool. Can you have an internet sweat party before she gets there? :D

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
If they are accepting people for the class of 2012, how does it not exist?

Technically, it's the Rat Mass of 2009+3. The incoming Rats don't become the Class of 2012 until they Break Out.

DSL, no need to be sorry. You got in, now set your sights on making it through if it's really what you want to do. Those were all just minor corrections that will hopefully make life easier on you. Trust me on this: what you post up around the internet, people will find, and sometimes it will follow you into Barracks. For better or for worse. Congrats, again.

Dan, there's no flaming here. And there is no need for sweat parties. There are gonna be enough of those after Matriculation. I didn't even know they still had sweat parties at the Academies. :eek:

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
A few suggestions.

Sorry AllAmerican75!

Of course I knew VMI = Virginia Military Institute and not Virginia Military Academy. I was just too excited and juxtaposed VMI and USNA together... lol.

So I am admitted (conditionally) to the mechanical engineering program. Not really what I want (Aerospace Engineering). But I think it is pretty good. If you're an engineering major, that would be great if you could tell me about the program and whether there are any aerospace specialties that a mechanical engineering student can take up.

If you don't mind, can you tell me if there is any support at VMI for those cadets/MIDNs who intend to apply for selection as SNA? For example, is there an aviation club? Ways to study for the ASTB together? Etc?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
So I am admitted (conditionally) to the mechanical engineering program. Not really what I want (Aerospace Engineering). But I think it is pretty good. If you're an engineering major, that would be great if you could tell me about the program and whether there are any aerospace specialties that a mechanical engineering student can take up.

If you don't mind, can you tell me if there is any support at VMI for those cadets/MIDNs who intend to apply for selection as SNA? For example, is there an aviation club? Ways to study for the ASTB together? Etc?

No worries. I was in your shoes at one point; seems like ages ago though.

I'm actually a Mechanical Engineering major. There is an Aeronautical Engineering concentration within the major. There are elective classes that you have to take within the department in order to accomplish the concentration. You cannot go wrong as an ME major at VMI. My only warning is to study hard, it's not going to be easy.

Yes, there is an aviation club and there are Naval Aviation representatives within the NROTC department. Other than that, it's no different than any other NROTC program. They'll explain all of this to you during Hell Week when you meet with your respective ROTC battalions.

Some more unsolicited advice: Go to STP and get a class out of the way and adjust yourself to the VMI way of things. Come in with the proper mindset(If you believe you can or believe you can't, you're right either way). Don't take things personally, it's not meant to be. The Ratline is hard, but put studying first, no one ever got kicked out because their shoes weren't shined but there are plenty of people who have been dismissed because they had bad grades.

Oh, and strain hard. :D

Turnin&Burnin

I have to back up AllAmerican here...there is no class 2012...DSL don't even think about saying it until breakout unless your a glutton for punishment...I also recommend the STP program, as that will definitely help get you on your way

Other than that best of luck to you!!

Oh and by the way AllAmerican ratline hasn't been hard since the old corps!!!

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
I have to back up AllAmerican here...there is no class 2012...DSL don't even think about saying it until breakout unless your a glutton for punishment...I also recommend the STP program, as that will definitely help get you on your way

Other than that best of luck to you!!

Oh and by the way AllAmerican ratline hasn't been hard since the old corps!!!

Thanks Turnin&Burnin!

I only mentioned class of 2012 because the certificate I got in the mail actually reads: "Offer of Appointment: Be it known that XXX XXX XXX is hereby issued a conditional appointment to enter the Virginia Military Institute with the Class of 2012. 31 January 2008. Vernon L. Beitzel. Director of Admissions." But yes, I completely understand your point. We will be the Rat Mass until Breakout and until then, I won't think about 2012 again.

And yes, I'll be signing up for August STP. It'll be like a bootcamp orientation to VMI I guess!

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
And yes, I'll be signing up for August STP. It'll be like a bootcamp orientation to VMI I guess!

Yes and no. STP is far more relaxed. It's designed to ease the new cadets(pre-strains) into the VMI culture. You'll wear civies and there won't be any marching. You will have to get up and PT in the mornings as well as you'll have certain uniforms sized and fitted, and you'll get boots and whatnot issued to you. The real fun doesn't start until Matriculation Day, and I don't know when that will be this summer.

T&B, after talking with some Alums who graduated in the 1950's, there hasn't been a Ratline since 1960. But what do I know, I'm just a shit-eating Third. :D

EDIT: As an aside, if things go my way, there will be a Ratline the next two years.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Dan, there's no flaming here. And there is no need for sweat parties. There are gonna be enough of those after Matriculation. I didn't even know they still had sweat parties at the Academies. :eek:

Look, I'm not into sh!t flinging and I'm definitely not one to be like "XYZ is the hardest place in the world! RAH!" but I've gotten sick of people saying that the Service Academies are "weak" or whatever term your school uses. I generally just smile and move along but there are definitely certain people that when they bash the Service Academies, really piss me off. I've worked my ass of every day since I-Day to stay at this place. I've seen my times of highs and my times of lows as has every mid. What angers me the most is when someone from a psuedo-military school and bashes the Academies and a) was rejected from one or more of them, b) has never spent any time as a Cadet or Mid in them, c) have no (in this case) Naval Knowledge whatsoever other than "My Leadership LT in NROTC said..." I was shocked to see NROTC Mids (though, not from your school, admittedly) over cruise not know what a cover was, who to salute, or any knowledge of Naval Platforms. It also pisses me off when I hear about programs such as yours that last about 1/2 as long as Plebe Year and again, you are the ones that bash the Academies, plus plebe summer, which is 7 weeks long, which, please correct me if I'm wrong, your "indoc" program is about 1 or 2 weeks, right?

I may be totally wrong here, but I've come to find that it's rare for a USNA Mid to bash any of the VMI's, Citadels, Texas A&M's, Virgina Tech's, Norwhich's, etc., but many of the students at those schools are very quick to point out the apparent "weakness" of the Academy. What people tend to forget is that everyone at the service academies serves; as a result, everyone must be trained for their specific branch. Sure, we have traditions and spirit and whanot that probably really are more tradition than officer development, (i.e.: chopping in the dorms, squaring meals, etc.) but there are certain aspects that are specifically designed to create officers for the respective services: learning how to Con a YP to give confidence on the bridge, exposure to so many officers, FEXs, pro-knowledge, etc. I don't think that problems are always solved by saying "oh, let's go PT the f out of the plebes." While it may be used as a punishment, did they learn anything? When I become an officer, how often am I going to PT a sailor working for me for messing up something? Instead, there is definitely a system of fixing the problem through other difficulties and hardships other than a PT session.

And you're right, we don't have sweat parties. But to say our plebes don't face similar challenges is absolutely ridiculous. Power hours in the early morning hours, Sea Trials, SMT's out on hospital point being PT'd for up to 4 hours; I'd say all of these qualify as fulfilling a physically demanding mission.

I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your post; but the smiley certainly gave me the impression that you were doing a little Academy-bashing.

MasterBates

All this inter "institute" bickering makes me miss college.

You know, come home from class, shotgun a beer, watch dukes of hazard, go to gym, chase women.