• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wtf??

Status
Not open for further replies.

beau

So i was driving home from NAS Meridian this morning after completing my CAI's when I passed the flight line shack I looked up to see a Censsa with Blue Trim about 300 feet AGL.....heading due north just about even with the tree line for 19R/01L.....the active was 28....so this guy proceeds to do a quick wingover right over the road and reverses his direction.....well there are like 5 guys in the pattern.....WTF?? he was below pattern altitude from what I could see...but that erratic wingover put him right up there for a coupld of senonds.......major airspace Violation! That could have been a mid-air!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
beau said:
So i was driving home from NAS Meridian this morning after completing my CAI's when I passed the flight line shack I looked up to see a Censsa with Blue Trim about 300 feet AGL.....heading due north just about even with the tree line for 19R/01L.....the active was 28....so this guy proceeds to do a quick wingover right over the road and reverses his direction.....well there are like 5 guys in the pattern.....WTF?? he was below pattern altitude from what I could see...but that erratic wingover put him right up there for a coupld of senonds.......major airspace Violation! That could have been a mid-air!
Sure, it sounds outrageous, but unless you have all the information, you don't really know what was going on. For all you know, he could have been talking to the tower and was cleared for that maneuver. Maybe it was the base CO, or maybe it was some yokel who had no business doing that and has now been stripped of his PPL. Who knows.

Brett

beau

flying under the studs in the pattern....please!!!! No normal pilot would do a wingover 300' agl....because it is plain illegal....if i remember so correctly....45 nose up 60 angle bank rule....but that is besides the point.......it was plain dangerous...not the manuver the airspace viloation...

The Gooch

FOD Eater
pilot
I'm sure he was there for a reason...now for a story:

Yesterday afternoon, coming off of Joe Williams after my CQ bounce periods, I requested an ASR approach to 28 to help out with my upcoming instrument re-check and my lack of the required non-precision approaches. Thinking it would be to the landing runway, and like all my other fellow CQ players, I contemplated the necessary information about 28's MDA/HAT/etc. But who would have thought they might vector me around to the south for a run-in on 1L! Surely not I, but lo and behold, that's exactly what happened! Now, for those salty enough to know that 300' AGL is approximately 600' MSL, and that just so happens to correspond with the min descent height for that same aforementioned runway, I'm assuming he probably got the typical "left turn to 270, climb to 2k', remain this frequency" missed approach instructions. But perhaps, gentle reader, he got "left to 180, climb to 2k'", and was asked to expedite his turn for incoming breakers or traffic.

I could be crazy, but the box was meant to be thought out of when the time is right, and not all examples of ATC control or typical flight patterns fall within it.

But I could be wrong. :)

Reactions: bch

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A civilian aircraft coming to an actively busy military field for an ASR approach? Possible, but extremely doubtful.

Jeff29

Science Project
I saw the exact same thing while driving out of the parking lot a couple weeks ago (same place on the field, same wingover). I actually thought the dude wasn't going to pull it out. T-45 traffic, however, was not on 28.

trt23

my opinion is that he was doing some survaillence for the base biologist or something along those lines. i'm sure he was cleared to be there.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, you can get a light civ at a military base to practice an ASR. There are very few, if any, civ ASR approaches left. The military can always be counted on for quality ASR approach practice. You may not think it was safe, but that is because you don't think he had a clearance. Gooches scenario is very likely. Nothing dangerous about light civ being in the pattern with mil studs as long as everyone is complying with procedure, clearance limits and ATC instructions. Soon enough you guys will be mixing it up with all sorts of dissimilar traffic. Get used to it. Here is a radical idea...if it really bothers you, call the tower and ask them what the guy was doing up there. Even if they say it was a lost bonehead that violated the airspace, while you have them on the horn, ask them if light civ traffic is ever cleared for practice ASR approaches. End of mystery.

Jeff29

Science Project
This was not an ASR. First, they would have broken off the approach at 2 miles as the perpendicular runway was in use. Second, what were his missed approach instructions? "Idiot 123, fly runway heading until underflying the active traffic pattern, when clear make an immediate climbing left turn to 1000 ft and heading 270, then an immediate decending left turn to 300 ft and heading 180. If still alive, underfly the pattern again. When clear contact departure XXX.X, good day"

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Fly Navy said:
A civilian aircraft coming to an actively busy military field for an ASR approach? Possible, but extremely doubtful.

not as uncommon as you may think. Where I got my PPL, it was standard practice for light civi a/c to go to local AFBs and NAS's for GCA pratice. It is on a not to interfer basis, but by no means uncommon.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jeff29 said:
This was not an ASR. First, they would have broken off the approach at 2 miles as the perpendicular runway was in use. Second, what were his missed approach instructions? "Idiot 123, fly runway heading until underflying the active traffic pattern, when clear make an immediate climbing left turn to 1000 ft and heading 270, then an immediate decending left turn to 300 ft and heading 180. If still alive, underfly the pattern again. When clear contact departure XXX.X, good day"

I am not familier with the course rules there. I will defer to you on that. Still, why all the guess work. This is obviously important to you and, in fact, it may be of some training value for you and others to know exactly what happend. SO, CALL THE DARN TOWER AND GET THE COMPLETE STORY! If he was as screwed up as you say (certainly possible), I am sure the guys in the tower will remember the incident. When you have the real story come back and post it so we can all learn form it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sounds like Beau and Jeff saw two different occurrences of the same thing. Pretty doubtful that the same guy just happened to do some kind of unauthorized maneuver like that. Concur with Wink, call the tower. I'd be surprised if he wasn't cleared to do what he did.

Brett

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
There is a grass airstrip a little south east of the field. Lite civil ac are in and out of there all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.