• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WTF, over

Status
Not open for further replies.

trvsmrtn

pilot
Luckily we're at the ROTC unit in Jacksonville, and I live about 10 min from NAS Jax, so we're going to try and go TAD to some squadrons at Jax. A few guys have done that in the past and had a pretty good time.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Go talk to the guys at VP-30...they alway take stash ENS....and you'll get some flight time to boot.
ea6bflyr

trvsmrtn said:
Luckily we're at the ROTC unit in Jacksonville, and I live about 10 min from NAS Jax, so we're going to try and go TAD to some squadrons at Jax. A few guys have done that in the past and had a pretty good time.

flynsail

pilot
ET-Mike,

I was also in the meeting with trvsmrtn. Our Skipper was reading from an email which stated that FY-05 OCS spots will be reduced, but no word on NROTC or USNA spots. The situation seemed to be caused by the expedited removal of S-3/F-14 squadrons.

Waiting until March 05 to go to Pcola and wait even longer for API, vice leaving August 04, is a shocker. After all, now a bunch of us have to either renew our leases or find another place to live, and cancel the military move.

Oh well, plenty of squadrons in NAS Jax and NS Mayport to try and get TAD until March.

Chubby

Flight school aint going anywhere. Be happy you got a SNA slot, and enjoy the cake shore tour, they don't come around a lot. That's my opinion at least and what I'm trying to do.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Be creative. Your home near a Naval installation, laboratory? Find a organization that can use you. Root around and arrange a job there. Get no cost orders there. You would continue to receive pay/bah for JAX.

This but one way to be different from the grasshopper.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From what I am hearing, the NROTC & USNA slots should remain about the same. IF there are any changes in these numbers, it will be pretty small. Remember that NROTC and USNA are THE primary commissioning sources with OCS being a gap fill to make up the number not met by USNA and NROTC.
ea6bflyr

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This sounds an awful lot like what happened in the mid 90's. I knew several guys a couple years senior to me who waited a year or 2 before they started. A lot of Navy jet pilots did not get to the fleet until they were 0-3's. First you would wait at your ROTC unit, then at API, Primary......etc, etc. On top of this, they had the infamous "T-notch" where they had too few guys for those year groups. Navy personnel at its finest. The backlog finally started to break when I entered the pipeline and I reported to P'cola 2 weeks after graduating. So this is really nothing new, it is just history repeating itself.

xof

binary_choice said:
So what exactly would you do during a "stash" job for a month or in some of your cases 8 months? Also where do you gets stashed? Do you have any choice/preference in the matter?
API stashes include the following:
-being a human guinea pig in flight physiology research (electrodes and poking a prodding)
-working at flight management and taking care of the other 400+ JO's in A-Pool
-being a tour guide at the Naval Aviation museum
-fixing an admiral his coffee
-being a lifeguard for the rescue swimmer school.
-standing watch (...oooh, suck)
-very temporary jobs, like timing for a swim meet or going to a hemophiliac children's carnival and playing with bandaged children.
-answering the blue angel's fan mail, and making them decaf coffee (wouldn't want a caffeine twitch in formation flying).

You can always volunteer for stash jobs as they come up, and pick the lesser of several 'evils' (while reminding yourself that you are getting paid to do next to nothing in a vacation town). You can also have a command 'request' you for a stash job, but this has the risk of raising flight management's ire. Bear in mind that this is just my two cents and based primarily on rumor, hearsay and faulty intuition.

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
or, if you're really lucky (like I was) get enrolled in online courses through Naval Postgraduate School because VADM Harms wants us to "utilize" our stash time, then you just have to phone muster. Just a heads up for you guys that are still in ROTC, the VADM said he wants to eventually expand the program to all stash ensigns if the API wait is going to consistently be 6 months+. The difficulty is getting NPS to handle more online students. Right now, there are only 60 of us.

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
You mean the Air Force and CG personnel in A-pool? I would assume that they wouldn't do the program since it is geared toward the Navy. VADM Harms never mentioned them and it wasn't brought up. Currently, the only Ensigns enrolled are USNA and NROTC, no OCS. There are also a few LTs and LTCDRs in the classes as well, some are even deployed.

The goal of the program is to educate officers in the effective use of space systems so that they can go to fleet and be able to advise their commands on how to properly implement space assets.

snizo

Supply Officer
What you hear is correct. I am among those lucky SNA's who will be gracing my ROTC unit for 8 more months...

(actually ... of the three SNA's who were originally to report in August, three were told to report in December ... then March. That's a 100% kill rate.....)

wilsonator

hey guys, just thought i'd offer my experience so you don't feel bad or worried aboout what is happening to you with the delays. i've gone back on my lease in corpus close to three times because my advanced date kept getting pushed back. i selected at the beginning of the year and am still waiting projected to start by the end of december. this is not uncommon due to a lot of the reasons you're reading about on the forum. don't get super comfortable at any one place, my experience in the navy has been extremely bizarre due to no fault of my own, i will surely be an O3 by the time i get to my fleet squadron. nothing i can do but make the best of the down time, find tad orders, if you want to go jets, find a jet squadron, particularly RAG since the have two seat dual control jets and go learn about the platform you are most interested. roll with the punches and remember it is way to early in your careers to get pissed about the weird way the navy does stuff. good luck and get creative with stash jobs, you'd be surprised at where you could end up.

Status
Not open for further replies.