• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Would You Do It Again

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
I think a lot of us can see this. Being a Capt (or Navy LT) today perhaps has a lot less authority than it did 30 years ago. There is a lot more oversight today than there was 30 years ago.

Hell,we've had General's peeking around our COC because he wanted to know what was going on and direct the action. "Uh, Sir, isn't that what you pay us Company Grades to do?" Apparently not anymore. So much for special trust and confidence.

Now that there are predator feeds available to the Generals, they feel like they need to direct the action like its a video game.

"Why are those Marines going there? That wasn't in the CONOPS? Someone get their commander on the Sat phone and ask why they are doing that." Those are things I have heard during actual missions. For fuck's sake, maybe the guys on the ground see something you can't see on the predator feed and made a decision based on that. And yo know what? The enemy's actions aren't included in the CONOPS.

We are back in the days of the WWI Chateu Generals.

CW5301

pilot
Would I do it again? Ultimately yes, although it's not an unqualified yes.

I can't imagine not having been in Naval Aviation and I had lots of unique once-in-a-lifetime opportunities and experiences.

It was also pretty disappointing at times, in part because my expectations were unrealistic and overly idealistic, but there were a lot of things about serving in the Navy that were very disappointing because they were, in fact, unnecessarily stupid.

As with most things luck and chance play a huge role. Everyones' experience differs dramatically so you really can't go by what happened to someone else. Careers and lives can turn on seemingly meaningless events, for good or ill.

I always came back with all my shipmates and airplanes in one piece, so ultimately I was lucky and I'm thankful.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
As I tell young folks all the time "Don't thank me for my service, all I really did was drink a lot of beer and end up married" But on a serious note it was a formative part of my adult life, even though I'm no longer in aviation I use the discipline and teamwork I learned daily and ended up with a couple of great kids that I can thump my chest about daily. No regrets, lots of good memories I'm glad I did it.