• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Would You Do It Again

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ralph, I hope you don't think that because you have read so many positive replies that these guys are shading their opinion because they are "afraid" to tell it like it is. Maybe that is something guys on Baseops say to deflect from the fact they have so many dissatisfied guys. They must want to believe that guys in Navair as just as unhappy as they are and if they aren't posting along those lines then they must be too afraid to be honest. Surf around AW a little more. You will find lively threads bemoaning frivolous training, debating the quality of senior leadership, flying hours, career path options and more. No one here is afraid to bitch. So ask yourself, if we in Navy and Marine Corps aviation can find plenty to complain about, just why do you think we would still do it all over again? Must be pretty special don't you think? I did only 8 years active but then another 17 drilling in the reserves. I stayed until I had done the max time for my grade. I can't really imagine not having a good active duty foundation before going to the Guard or Reserve.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ralph, I hope you don't think that because you have read so many positive replies that these guys are shading their opinion because they are "afraid" to tell it like it is. Maybe that is something guys on Baseops say to deflect from the fact they have so many dissatisfied guys. They must want to believe that guys in Navair as just as unhappy as they are and if they aren't posting along those lines then they must be too afraid to be honest. Surf around AW a little more. You will find lively threads bemoaning frivolous training, debating the quality of senior leadership, flying hours, career path options and more. No one here is afraid to bitch. So ask yourself, if we in Navy and Marine Corps aviation can find plenty to complain about, just why do you think we would still do it all over again? Must be pretty special don't you think? I did only 8 years active but then another 17 drilling in the reserves. I stayed until I had done the max time for my grade. I can't really imagine not having a good active duty foundation before going to the Guard or Reserve.

This. We bitch about the bullshit because we care. Any job you have is going tomhave bullshit, but at least most of the people I've worked with have always tried to make a difference because they love what they do in spite of some of the absurdities.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Since the answer to OP's question seems to be a resounding yes, may I ask a follow up question?

If you had to do it again, would you want to stick to the "golden path" or not?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
This is probably trivial in a general sense, but USAF Capt's spend their existence being "corrected" constantly by 2 stripers with way too much time on their hands (because they don't actually serve any useful purpose) who have been encouraged to do so by a pilot hating minority of prior E support officers. It is part of their lifestyle. Their JO's are treated like new ENS's, and their Maj's have the responsibility of a USN fleet JO. Their O-5's are in their mid 20's and have no idea what is going on. That is my impression of USAF culture.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FWIW, I fell into the "golden path" after doing well in my JO tour, but following with a mandatory non-observed shore tour (part of the legacy Seaman to Admiral program). Didn't know exactly where I stood when I called my detailer for my disassociated tour. First iteration seemed like a staff tour was in my future until I was at Hook '06 and ran into a former DH of mine who was the Skipper of a squadron (and current PCO of TR) that needed a Training O. I already had my patch, and said Skipper called the detailer. I was in like Flynn. My wandering into the "golden path" has led me to my fourth operational flying tour and an impending O5 command. Would I do it again? After 25 years of ups and downs in this business? Fuck yes!

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I loved my time in the Navy. I love being in the Army Guard now. I am glad I have had the opportunity to do both. We have a lot of guard-only guys in our battalion. They honestly don't miss active duty. But most of us who have done active in the Army or Navy wouldn't trade the experience.

It IS nice to not have to worry about PCS moves in the guard. Army reserves DOES do PCS moves.

Fallonflyr

pilot
Would I trade my 10 years of active duty time ( All Gun-Squadron except for a year as a FAC, 5 WestPacs) for 10 years of seniority at my current full time flying gig? HELL NO!

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Let me be the first...

USMC here, and NO, I would not do it again.

Times have changed. Most of the perks are gone and the bullshit/ admin/ political correctness has increased. Flying a Hornet was cool, landing on the boat was cool, I have met awesome people, and there were some cool aspects to being a FAC. But no, I would not do it again.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
Knowing what I know now, no, I would not do it again either (navy helo guy). But at the time, I couldn't have imagined anything else, and I certainly don't regret it. Between flying and the academy (another good thing I did that I probably wouldn't again), I've done some incredibly cool shit and made the best friends I could ever want, but I can't get around the feeling that the navy seems intent on being the defining characteristic of my life, and I don't want it to be. I have trouble aligning my values (actual values not the slogans we talk about in SAPR training) with the navy's in that regard.

I've never known anyone who wouldn't do it again or has regrets. Incredible privilege, on all levels, and the "first world problems" on AW are peanuts in the grand scope. Signing for a t-34 in flight school I honestly thought... seriously? And signing for a plane heading into combat at 26 years old, deployed with your best friends, balls-out in all things ... it doesn't get better than that. Civilian career is better administered and better compensated, by a mile, ... but at the end of the day, how can anyone want more?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I stayed until I had done the max time for my grade. I can't really imagine not having a good active duty foundation before going to the Guard or Reserve.
I wholeheartedly second this. In my admittedly short experience, the learning curve in the SELRES is a lot shallower, just because you spend so much of your time doing other things in life. There are some truly outstanding people in Reserve land; as an example, I can think of a Chief who got out as an E-5 who I would put up against any AC fleet Chief. But in my admittedly limited experience, people who have not either had significant MOB or AC experience tend to require a lot more handholding for a given time in grade than their counterparts who have had more active duty time. It's not necessarily that they suck, it's just that they don't have the experience base.

That said, there is an equally vital form of credibility known as "working the Reserve system" which directly correlates with drilling Reservist experience. Now that I'm starting to drink the kool-aid myself, it's fun when people come in fresh off active duty and you get to watch their head explode.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Would I do it again? Absolutely, and I wouldn't change a thing. I'm not on "the" golden path, but I'm on my golden path, having so far accomplished everything I set out to do in the Navy so far. I am one of the masochists who wants to stick around, too.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Admittedly getting a little misty eyed at all the sentiment in this thread....;)

jtmedli

pilot
Let me be the first...

USMC here, and NO, I would not do it again.

Times have changed. Most of the perks are gone and the bullshit/ admin/ political correctness has increased. Flying a Hornet was cool, landing on the boat was cool, I have met awesome people, and there were some cool aspects to being a FAC. But no, I would not do it again.

Knowing what I know now, no, I would not do it again either (navy helo guy). But at the time, I couldn't have imagined anything else, and I certainly don't regret it. Between flying and the academy (another good thing I did that I probably wouldn't again), I've done some incredibly cool shit and made the best friends I could ever want, but I can't get around the feeling that the navy seems intent on being the defining characteristic of my life, and I don't want it to be. I have trouble aligning my values (actual values not the slogans we talk about in SAPR training) with the navy's in that regard.

I would like to also add that these two are NOT the first ones I've heard who said they wouldn't. I've personally heard retired Officers and Chiefs alike who gaff at what the Navy has become in the last 20 years. So while I have appreciated my time and, like I said, would do it again, I certainly understand those are of this opinion.