• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Worst parts of Naval Aviation

81montedriver

pilot
Good: As a brand spanking new KC-130 Aircraft Commander at age 28, I was entrusted with a plane and a crew, and over 2 weeks, flew to Afghanistan, swapped a plane, spent a couple days in England and made it back in one piece. To be trusted to accomplish something like that by your CO is just awesome.

Bad: on deployment missed sons and wife's birthday, anniversary, dog had to be put down, grandfather had last rights read (thought he was going to die but miraculously bounced back). Shit happens and all you can do is compartmentalize on the other side of the world and keep moving forward.

Would I do anything different? Hell no I have the greatest job on earth !

yeahguy

Good: lifetime drinking buddies that enjoy the same old stories that I do and always have a couch for me to crash on.

Bad: politics.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bad: listening to taps, again, while waiting for the missing man formation fly by.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Bad: not being part of the Wing. Learning that everything you hated about TBS is alive and well in the infantry and that, even though you are a FAC with 150+ live controls, you will never get to kill a bad guy. Welcome to the "peace time" Marine Corps.

Good: that FAC tour is still the fast track back to the Wing!!!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
JTAC terminology question for you Herc.....does "live control" just refer to a terminal control using live ordnance, or is it something else?

brownshoe

Contributor
Worst: Working the deck in the dead of winter in the middle of the Atlantic.

Best: Working the deck in the dead of winter in the middle of the Atlantic. The people I worked alongside were the very best. We still stay in touch today (as some of you know).

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
JTAC terminology question for you Herc.....does "live control" just refer to a terminal control using live ordnance, or is it something else?

It just means something falling off the aircraft. Might be live, might be blue. Something other than "continue dry"

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It just means something falling off the aircraft. Might be live, might be blue. Something other than "continue dry"

gotcha.....we got a request for support specifically requesting live controls recently, and it struck me as funny considering the range in question is inert only.......in my mind, we normally have some sort of ordnance to hog off on CAS hops, so I figured a "live" control must be something more. Makes sense though

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
gotcha.....we got a request for support specifically requesting live controls recently, and it struck me as funny considering the range in question is inert only.......in my mind, we normally have some sort of ordnance to hog off on CAS hops, so I figured a "live" control must be something more. Makes sense though

In the vernacular, the alternate (i.e. not live) is "SimCAS".

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
In the vernacular, the alternate (i.e. not live) is "SimCAS".

So for their qual/currency purposes, sim ordnance counts differently than something coming off the aircraft? That would make sense, but I didn't realize that was the case if so.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I've had stuff come off my aircraft before. Sometimes intentional, sometimes not.