• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

World's Scariest Runways...

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
What about Kodiak, AK and Gitmo (although, you no longer have to do the fence line approach).

I've flown into two of the list: Reagan National (not that big a deal) and St. Maarten. St. Maarten wasn't that harrowing for our plane, but I was a brand-new copilot landing at night after an 11 hour LE flight chasing a go-fast...I pranged it in after not flaring at all. Taking off was wild the next morning as we did our run up next to the fence on the approach end... the closest I've seen a crowd of civilians while in the cockpit.

And the per diem was good.:D

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I don't agree with them putting JFK's 13L in the "Top 10". If anything, LGA is the most dangerous airport in the NY metro area...

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
I don't agree with them putting JFK's 13L in the "Top 10". If anything, LGA is the most dangerous airport in the NY metro area...
True that. JFK's 10000' runways are a joke in comparison to LGA. I could be wrong, but as far as dangerous goes, I could of sworn I read that Teterboro has the highest mishap rate but I couldn't find anything to back that up online.

codtanker

United Airlines
pilot
USS "Widowmaker" Enterprise with 40kt natural winds. You don't even have to be at night to mins.

Or better yet perfectly VFR day above the fog bank in the middle of the Adriatic with the controller calling every move backwards on the PAR so when you turn on your landing light for the LSO to talk you down you end up LURIM, get a glimpse of the deck and loose it again right before hitting the deck.

I'm sure just one of many stories that any real tailhooker has seen compared to a 7-13K runway that doesn't move.

Case closed.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... I'm sure just one of many stories that any real tailhooker has seen compared to a 7-13K runway that doesn't move.

Case closed.
Not quite closed.

Having done both, I don't minimize the degree of difficulty in getting 630,000# of metal, fuel & people onto a wet runway @ night w/ a turn to final under 500' compounded by an overshooting crosswind ... compliments of the typhoon that just chased you all the way down the Taiwan Strait ... but hey, everyone's done those, right???

Not trying to sound like Sky King, but until you've done 'em both -- there's really not much of a basis for comparison ... :)

hkgkaitakhz0.jpg

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Camp Rhino, Afghanistan.

You can walk across the "runway" without even knowing it, since it looks like barely more than 2 tire tracks in the dirt. Talcum-powder sand makes it 0/0 as soon as rotor/propwash hits it.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Camp Rhino, Afghanistan.

You can walk across the "runway" without even knowing it, since it looks like barely more than 2 tire tracks in the dirt. Talcum-powder sand makes it 0/0 as soon as rotor/propwash hits it.

I was amazed, that shit is like baby powder. You could literally duct tape, caulk, glue, weld, etc. a box of whatever together, and that crap would find it's way in.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Never liked NALF San Clemente at night in the marine layer for CCA's,
Burbank for short runways and 'godawful' Van Nuys traffic interfering on approach,
Orange County for similar reasons,
LGA for similar reasons,
Mexico City for many personal reasons,
Durango in a snow storm,
and any USS-boat-in-a-turn, night approach.

Saw some Kai Tak's too, but never had to do one… thankfully! My daughter who flies bizjets says the ski-areas are no fun either with their terrain, wx, and difficult approaches and MA's.

And of course, some of the most difficult approaches ever, occur some later time after you hear, "99 Delta" or "cancel approach clearance, airport is closed UFN."

Regardless, even the best runway in the world can be hell when the weather is brutally bad, you're dog-tired, and nothing seems to be going right that day. Then the best advice is, just DFIU!

phrogpilot73

Haditha Dam
You're kidding, right? I thought Haditha Dam was a piece of cake (unless it was a VIP hop to Baghdad and you had an assload of gas on board, then it was pretty sporty). Actually, I think that CSH S is a bit sportier than Haditha Dam, at least you have waveoff options at the Dam.