• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Workout regimen for upcoming PLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Alright guys and gals, it'll be here before we know it. I have 4 full months of workout time before the 1st increment of Jrs gets under way. I don't which increment I'll be going to, nor do I know if I'm accepted. I won't know until April.

Anyways, I need to step up my workout routine and gear it more towards what I'll be facing in Quantico. I'm all ears for some tips...

Main area of work. I need a good base (legs). I have pretty skinny calfs (< is that how you spell that?) and my hammies and quads need some work. I want my legs to be big and strong enough to withstand the daily rigors and the humps at OCS. Should I take a heavy weight approach like squats, leg press, leg curls, and leg ext? Or should I do more workouts like running bleachers, hiking with a pack, and just shear running? I know that I want my knees and ankles to be in tip top condition. Any little excercises to work those two?

I'm going to continue with the upper body workout I have. I think. Mondays - triceps and back. Wed - chest and biceps. Fri - shoulders. I'm going to do some sort of running program for atleast 5, maybe 6 days a week, and thought I could do my leg workouts on Tues and Thurs.

I'm just looking for some experienced advice. I've never been the buff guy. I'm 6' and weigh a buck 56. I just want to be as fully prepared as possible. Thanks a lot to everyone who responds!

Gonzodogg

If you really are planning on running 5-6 times a week, and doing your upper body routine MWF, then the addition of a Tuesday, Thursday, (and maybe Saturday) program of semi-heavy leg lifting would be a good idea.

However, I would recomend adjusting your upper body workouts. The way you have it set up now, you only work out each muscle group once a week. This isn't going to be the case when you get to OCS. You should change those upper body days to make sure you hit all five major muscle groups (chest, shoulders, back, tris, bis) each day.

As for your lower body lifting, the same thing applies. Hit the quads, hams, and calves three days a week. All the workouts that you mentioned were good, but there is one more that I STRONGLY reccomend. "Power Cleans" (or "Hang Cleans") This is probably the single best workout you can do ass far as using your whole body. DON'T TRY THEM IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING! You can actually hurt yourself pretty badly if you use bad form. Find someone who really knows their stuff and have them show you.

Since you will be doing all of these workouts three times a week, keep the weight down and the repetitions up. If you can't do at least six reps, you're trying to lift to much. The most important thing you can do is concentrate on your form. Try to complete about 12 perfect reps for each set you do. Once that is comfortable, you can think about adding some weight.

Anyway, that should get you started.
Just ask if you have any other questions.

NavyOCS

Power cleans are DEADLY! They will tear your ass up. With power cleans you can pretty much substitute them for your shoulder workout and one of your leg workouts. I guarantee you will be sore for at least two days after. Personally I am cross-training with swimming, running and the excersice bike at the gym for endurance. For power and endurance I am doing a ****load of powercleans, squats, and lunges. One or two days a week I devote to just doing abs, dips, pull-ups, and push-ups. I also work bench press, back and triceps in to the week. Does doing light weight more reps one week alternated with heavy weight less reps another week sound like a good idea?
The only thing I am worried about is overtraining. Train hard untill summer.

DBLang

PLC Candidate
Well I'm going to start running again in about a week...and hopefully I've given my legs enough rest so that the shin splints wont be coming back. I plan on gradually (avoid injury) working my way back up to fast six mile runs and do those about once a week, while running a faster three or four miles another 4 days a week. I like to mix the runs with dips, leg lifts, flutter kicks, pushups, and similar calisthenics. I do a good 200 - 300 pushups a day and situps every night. I hit the gym and use the pullup bar three or four times a week, but I never lift weights.

I'll try to start doing more hills, and throw in more wind sprints too.

Sins

I'm going to disagree with the last post a little bit on the leg issue.

I think that you would get more out of hiking with a pack, bleachers, jumping rope, plyometric drills, and good ol running than traditional leg lifting exercises (calf extensions, leg presses, leg curls, etc). If you really want to do squats, I'd suggest single leg squats -- in the lounge position.

There are two good ways to do bleachers: the first is really fast, touching every step and focusing on speed and tunrover; the second is to bound up them, skipping a couple steps with each step and concentrate on exploding up the steps. You can also try double and single leg hopping up the steps.

Jumping rope will build your calves, stamina, and strength.

Gonzodogg

Don't get me wrong, I love doing stadium runs (bleachers) and jumping rope. I just thought that some traditional lifting might be a good idea for EA-6B1 given what it sounds like his goals are and based on his size (6' 0" 156lbs).

Now that you mention it though, EA-6B1: instead of just running five or six days a week I would trade at least one of those for a bleacher run or jumping rope. Running is defiately the most important thing, but variation in your cardio (or any workout) is key. Always look for different ways to hit you muscles.

OOH RAH KILL

EA-6B, and all other MOTIVATED AND MOTIVATING CANDIDATES:

I went to PLC JR's in the summer of 2003. I ran a 290 pre ship and 292 final PFT at the end of the first increment (RUN KILLS ME). As far as Jr's PT goes, it isnt too bad, especially since you are tall like me. If you're running over a 260 youll be fine at Jr's, HOWEVER, dont settle for this. I maxed out every PT graded event except for the O Course at OCS, and here is what I did before I shipped out to OCS last summer, and am also doing this time around, but heavier weight, longer distances, and in boots and utes alot. AND DONT UNDERESTIMATE UPPER BODY STRENGTH. During course critiques at the end of the cycle, most candidates said they wished they had more upper body training.

I have always been a big weight lifter. Any given day I'd rather hit the steel jungle then pound the pavement, but it is important to have a good balance between strength and endurance.

Here is my lift routine that I have been doing for about 4 years. (It works, I started out at 5'11 130lbs(PITIFUL)in Jr year of high school and now i am 6'0 195lbs and can do about 28 pullups palms outboard)

I do not have any specific day for any specific body part but there is an order which I do them in:

The key thing is do big muscles first. Legs are there own day. But for example, regarding upperbody: When you do any kind of pressing exercise for chest (Flat, incline, decline, barbell or dumbell) you are using your chest and secondarily your shoulders and triceps. When you do anykind of pulling exercise for back, you are using your back, and secondarily your biceps. Thus:

Day 1: Big Dog LEGS DAY
Yes, it is important to have strong legs, but you don't want to have friggin 40 inch thighs, because youre gonna have major chaffage on HUMPS. (ATT! REACH OUT AND TOUCH SOMEONE!! OPEN UP THE HIGHWAY!)

So here's the good word on leg day:

Free squats (Most important exercise for overall lower body development.)
5 sets: 12, 10, 8,6,4+BURN OUT. (Now with every exercise I do, I do the last set HEAVY as all hell, but always doing full range of motion (Ass to ankles). Then right after I do that heavy set, I quick like a bunny take off half the weight, and burn that ass out nice and slow, down into a catchers position and up slow. I do a burnout set at the end of every exercise.

Leg Press: 3 sets 12, 8, 6+burnout

Dead lifts: 3 sets 12, 8, 6+burnout

Hack squats: 3 sets 12, 8, 6+Burnout

Leg Curls: 3 sets 12, 8, 6+Burnout

Leg Extensions: 3 sets 12, 8, 6+Burnout

Now, legs are done for the cycle, except for running and calves.

Day 2:Back.

Obviously back is a HUGE day for candidates, because here is where we will improve our pullups.

Wide Pullups (Palms outboard...even if you do them palms inboard on the PFT, train with outboard, it will help ALOT)
First set MAX OUT whatever you can do then drop down for 2 more sets to failure. Obviously you wont be able to do as many on set 2 as one or set 3 as 2.

EX. I do 28, 20, 18

Lat Pulldowns: 12, 8, 6+Burnout

One Arm Rows:12, 8, 6+Burnout

Seated row: 12, 8, 6+Burnout

Lat Pullover 12, 8, 6+Burnout

Day 3:Chest+Biceps

Now we've hit legs and back hard. While doing back, we warmed up our biceps for today. AND OUR CHEST, SHOULDERS AND TRIS ARE READY FOR A BIG PRESSING DAY.

Chest:
Flat Bench: 12, 8, 8, 6, 4+Burnout
Incline Bench: 12, 8, 6,+Burnout
Decline Bench: 12, 6+Burnout
DUMBELL FLIES: 12, 8, 6+Burnout
PUSHUPS: If you cant do one after your lift, then you went hard, if not, then i do sets of 10 until i fall on my face and break my nose.
KILL!

Biceps:
Compound Curls: 12, 8, 6+Burnout
Preacher Curl:12, 8, 6 +Burnout
Hammer Curls: 12,8,6+Burnout

Day 4:
Shoulders+Triceps

SO we have hit legs, back and bis, and chest.
Yesterday, we warmed up our shoulders and tris while doing chest.

Shoulders:
Military Press: 12, 8, 6, 4+Burnout
Front and Lateral Raises with dumbells:12, 8, 6+Burnout
Upright rows:12, 8, 6+Burnout
Shrugs(Dumbell): 12, 8, 6, 4 +burnout

Triceps:
DIPs MAX SET, + 2 lower sets (Like how I did pullups)
SKULL CRUSHERS:12, 8, 6+burnout
Pressdowns:12, 8, 6+Burnout
Rope pressdown:12, 8, 6+Burnout

Now all thats left is abs and calves. Abs and calves and forearms are the quickest healing groups, and most difficult to get sore. so I rotate:
One day after I'm done with the lift, I'll do abs:
Situps, MC Situps, Decline Situps, Medicine ball, leg throws, make trash up....there 100's of things.

then the next day after im done ill do calves:
Standing calf Raises, seated calf raises, and DONKEY CALVES.

Now you may think that I am crazy, and that this is a bodybuilding program, but man oooooooooooh man it works. There are a few key things. If you do it right, (max of 2 minutes between sets) it shouldnt take longer than 75 minutes??? GO HARD OR GO HOME. EVERY SET TO FAILURE. Get a Spot, train with a buddy, DO EVERY SET TO FAILURE. And even if you cant do all the sets, do all the exercises hard but maybe only 2 sets each at first. It will take a while to be able to balance a heavy routine and run alot, but it will come with persistence, and you will see sick gains. You want to be sore everyday. The more sore the better. But never lift a Sore muscle. LET IT HEAL. RIP THE **** OUT OF IT, then let it heal and eat protein. EAT, AND EAT ALOT. If you are training hard enough, you can eat whatever you want. IT WONT MATTER. BUT TRY TO STICK TO ALOT OF PROTEIN and CARBS. ALL THIS NO CARB BULL, thats for nasty civilians who dont train at all. WE NEED ALL THE NUTRIENTS AND CALORIES WE CAN GET IF WE ARE TRAINING BALLS TO THE WALL.

So thats the strength portion of the training.
You can go only 5 days if you like, or go 7 depending on how you feel. If your legs are still sore at the end of the training cycle, let them rest a little. But, you can still run with sore legs, I LOVE TO.

The running:

I play lax so i run everyday in the spring doing sprints, which do help for distance alot.

But for distance I like to run 4 times a week. Get yourself a good pair of gofasters. I saw some candidates at ocs with ripped up payless brand sneakers. Man, your training hard, treat yourself to some good gofasters. I usually run 4-5 miles at a 7 minute mile pace to train, and try to do a PFT run on my own once every 2 weeks just to see how im doing. WHen you run, dont run on a track for gods sake its aweful. RUN on the street, run trails, dont run around in circles on a track, ohhhhhh and run HILLS AS OFTEN AS YOU CAN. It will help when your trying to haul ass up radar hill.
Try to run in boots at least once a week. It will help get your paws ready for the reality of the ICB's youll be issued. OR HERES A GREAT IDEA. I JUST BOUGHT A NEW PAIR. You cant really get the new brown suede boots anywhere. Go on EBAY. Search for USMC marpat boots. The jungles fit basically the same size as sneakers do. The ICB's are generally a size big. Example. I wear a 10.5 sneaker. I wear 10.5 Jungle, and 10.0 ICB. GET A PAIR with an eagle globe and anchor on the ankle, and youll be able to bring em to OCS, and youll be WAY AHEAD. The boots running will help with shin splints too. Because I get shin splints if i run more than 2 miles in boots, and i need to overcome that especially before sr's this summer. RUN BLEACHERS TOO. DEFINATELY. ITLL DEVELOP UPPER THIGH and help on HUMPS ALOT.

Basically here it is:
TRAIN HARD. EAT RIGHT, AND LIKE A VACCUUM. AND GET ENOUGH SLEEP. (because youll be wishing you had all that sleep time back at ocs)

If you are a PT stud at OCS, it makes everything else so much easier. SO MUCH. You don't even worry about PT. It's fun more than anything, if you're in shape. And plus, you wont be sore. You'll be able to wake up like a MOTIVATED KILLER everyday, and it will help against any injuries.

OH yea, when you train, get CRAZY. Keep your bearing, Dont like throw weights around the gym or anything, but get yourself some crazy MUSIC on a MP3 and get psycho. YOu wanna be like this when you train:

banghead_125.gif

GOODLUCK.

REMEMBER: "The more you sweat in peace-time, the less you bleed in war."

Get some Hard-chargers.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
OOH RAH, you crack me up. I think you hit the nail on the head with training for OCS. It doesn’t matter specifically what you do as long as you are obsessed and psychotic about it. My parents were pissed when I would drive down an hour and a half to their dinner party only to say I had to drive back after a few minuets because the gym was going to close.
My work out was a little different. The Armstrong program seemed a little weak so I spiced it up with some weights, and worked up to doing sets of 10 pullups with an extra 50 pounds around my waste.
With the running, I found an old Alice pack, threw some iron in it and then did hill sprints in boots and utes. That was good for putting extra power in the legs – I didn’t have any shin splint problems.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
OOH RAH,
Thanks for the workout plan! I do have a few questions on a couple of the work outs...

-Hack Squats?
-Compound Curls?
-Donkey Calves?

If you could explain those, I'd appreciate it. Thanks again for the help.

OOH RAH KILL

Hack Squat is a machine. It has an angled platform that you stand on, and your shoulders are placed below pads which hold the resistance. It just hits the glutes, quads and hamstrings from a different angle.

The compound curl can be dont many ways. There are 2 muscles in your biceps. (HENCE BI) The long and short biceps. For example, if you put your elbow at a 90 degree angle, and simply rotate your wrist, you should see your biceps moving. When your fist is in the hammer curl position, the bicep looks longer. When it is in the position that it would be in to grab a curl BAR, then the bicep looks shorter. Thus, when you do preacher curls, your working the short bicep, and when doing hammer curls, the long bicep.

The compound curl can be performed standing or seated. Grab a couple of dumbells, and hold them at your sides as if you were going to do a hammer curl. As you proceed to execute the curl, rotate your wrist. The overall rotation should be about 90-120 degrees. Keep your upper arm stationary. And dont use your back. Its only an elbow movement, isolating the bicep.

The donkey calf machine. ITS FUN. Now every gym has one, so you can always substitute other exercises. But it is a slamm little seat on a track that is positioned at a 45 degree angle with the deck. Weights get attached to the seat, and you place the ball of your feet on the little metal platform at the bottom, and perform the same motion as a standing calf raise. When executed correctly, the kneew should be slightly bent, and you should have as full of a rangel of motion as possible. IT SHOULD BURN LIKE CRAZY. WHEN IT DOES, DONT STOP.

NOW GET TO THE GYM AND GET SOME

klostman

the happy dance!
OOH RAH KILL, AKA HARD CHARGER, that was some funny sh#$ you said but true at the same time. Do you know what increment you will be attending for Sr's? What platoon were you in last summer? I was in 5th platoon. Your the first person I've seen who's just about as obsessed with weightlifting as I am. Excellent.
Nick

tydaddy

just a few pointers...hammer curls will work the brachioradialis first then both heads of the biceps equally...also whenever you're doing any type of dumbell curl, you should always rotate the dumbell at the top of the movement, it places more emphasis on the short head, which is the outer "bicep" muscle. also, its obvious that OOH RAH has been using this workout for a while..so he's used to it, anyone just starting it, watch for over training because the number of sets is way too high on many of the exercises for someone just beginning the program. otherwise great advice and program!

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Yea, I'm going to start on it, but I'm only going to do prolly 3 of the leg sets listed for the first few weeks. I also thought to myself that the number of sets was rather high for a beginner. I haven't worked out my legs in a long while. I want to ease into things. I'll use my own discretion. Good work guys. Stay motivated!

OOH RAH KILL

Yea, I was in India Co.,2nd PLT. 1st Increment.

You might remember me. I was the Company Commander for graduation.(even though there was no parade because of the rain)

Here's a motivating quote for all you candidates out there from an article I just read called "The KILLER ELITE"

"A few days before moving out of its desert camp in Kuwait to begin the invasion, his unit was handed letters sent by school children back home. Person opened one from a girl who said she was praying for peace. 'Hey, little tyke,' Person shouted. 'What does this say on my shirt? 'U.S. Marine!' I wasn't born on some hippie-faggot commune. I'm a death-dealing killer. In my free time I do push-ups until my knuckles bleed. Then I sharpen my knife.'"

THATS SOME MOTO
bigmouth_125.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.