• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Word on EP-3's?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Its all heresay as I'm both not a pilot and not VQ, but I have heard that the pilots currently in the EP3 are flying their tails off and achieving the hour minimum far earlier than P-8s. Maybe its just our squadron dealing with a long running backlog, but since I have been in my tour I can count maybe 2 to 4 people that reached 500 or 600 hours (whatever the min is) before their month 24 started. Hope it is different in the other squadrons. The wing goal of an 18 month PPC is a joke.

Even back in the very old days us VQ types often got 25-40% more flight time than our VP brethren, and a few pilots chose it over 'straight stick' P-3's specifically for that reason. It also helped that at the time every VQ pilot who wanted to get flying orders out of the squadrons almost always got them.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Even back in the very old days us VQ types often got 25-40% more flight time than our VP brethren, and a few pilots chose it over 'straight stick' P-3's specifically for that reason. It also helped that at the time every VQ pilot who wanted to get flying orders out of the squadrons almost always got them.

When the alternative is losing pilots with more enough hours to have a higher quality of life and higher wages to the airlines, it makes sense.

Llarry

As a cryptologic veteran and former EP-3 aircrew, I'd be curious to know what the status of VQ-1 and the EP-3E is. I've seen some P-8A photos on the internet that lead me to believe that VPU is alive and well (photo attached); how about VQ? Is the MQ-4 still the answer?P-8A VPU-2.jpg

Mos

None
As a cryptologic veteran and former EP-3 aircrew, I'd be curious to know what the status of VQ-1 and the EP-3E is. I've seen some P-8A photos on the internet that lead me to believe that VPU is alive and well (photo attached); how about VQ? Is the MQ-4 still the answer?View attachment 38307
Not your problem anymore/don't worry about it.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a cryptologic veteran and former EP-3 aircrew, I'd be curious to know what the status of VQ-1 and the EP-3E is. I've seen some P-8A photos on the internet that lead me to believe that VPU is alive and well (photo attached); how about VQ? Is the MQ-4 still the answer?View attachment 38307

I'm pretty sure the EP-3 will retire in 2025, no more reprieves likely, and its 'replacement' is some equipment on the MQ-4C Triton. VPU lives on but probably looks a bit different than it used to.

Not your problem anymore/don't worry about it.

It's a curiosity question, should be no problem with giving an actual answer.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a curiosity question, should be no problem with giving an actual answer.
As far as VPU goes, I'm not sure there's a lot that can be said other than "yes, they are a squadron and they conduct special projects."

Llarry

As far as VPU goes, I'm not sure there's a lot that can be said other than "yes, they are a squadron and they conduct special projects."
Understood, but the question was VQ and per Flash's useful response, I guess the answer remains that VQ will sundown and be replaced by VUP, making me feel even more like an old retired sailmaker in the early 1900s.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm unable to edit my post with the P-8A photo, the source of which was Google; If you wish to delete it, I'm fine with that. :)
Nah, the pic's fine. It's just when dudes with wings start confirming or denying stuff in open source, it gets sticky quick, so erring on the side of caution, etc.