• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Word on EP-3's?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also a current primary student here with lots of interest in EP-3s for the mission and large crew atmosphere.

I’m wondering what will most likely happen to NFO JOs that enter this community if the 2025 sundown actually happens on time. Have heard from instructors here that being part of the VQ mission will always be invaluable, but how would that play out if I’m only 2-2 1/2 years into my sea tour and the community goes away? Would it be back to the FRS to switch to either P-8 or triton? Would it be possible to roll into a shore tour early?

I would imagine those would be the most likely scenarios, the fortunate thing is that it is a small enough community that the transition will probably be 'kinder' than past ones to more junior folks.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
I dont think the community will go away. I would be shocked if the navy said "we don't need our own SIGINT platform anymore". If anything the community would continue on albeit with different aircraft and systems.

Other food for thought, squadron at one time had a DH who elected to transition from the EP3 to the P8 community as he was at a point where he I guess was given a choice and chose to leave rather than gamble with staying. I'm sure the option would come up again, as I cant imagine there's a surplus of pilots and NFOs in that community.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
Also a current primary student here with lots of interest in EP-3s for the mission and large crew atmosphere.

I’m wondering what will most likely happen to NFO JOs that enter this community if the 2025 sundown actually happens on time. Have heard from instructors here that being part of the VQ mission will always be invaluable, but how would that play out if I’m only 2-2 1/2 years into my sea tour and the community goes away? Would it be back to the FRS to switch to either P-8 or triton? Would it be possible to roll into a shore tour early?

I understand that career-wise it would be best to choose a community with a certain future and avoid these questions entirely, but despite the uncertainty in VQ, the nature of their mission and the role NFOs have in it remains very appealing to me.
If that’s what you really want to do, then just go do it!

Let the chips fall during the community transition. Even if the retention problem is solved (it won’t be), you will probably be fine. However, do not underestimate the ways in which VQ, VP, PMA-290, N98, and PERS could combine to completely screw up the transition.

Growlers are also pretty cool, and they aren’t going anywhere.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I understand that career-wise it would be best to choose a community with a certain future and avoid these questions entirely, but despite the uncertainty in VQ, the nature of their mission and the role NFOs have in it remains very appealing to me.
Going to a platform that is sundowning soon that has no crewed replacement is just asking for all kinds of headaches (guaranteed) and potentially career limiting outcomes. Please, I'm begging you, consider other platforms. Even if you think that a "large crew atmosphere" will be to your liking, that will be cold comfort if the community dissolves before you're senior enough to be qualified to lead such a crew. Consider that other more viable "crew atmospheres" are available to you.

As was mentioned previously, if you like EW and being in a community where NFOs are valued, consider VAQ. You are arguably working with an even bigger team - you're just in different aircraft, and talking over a radio instead of ICS. Nothing more satisfying than being part of a well-executed large force strike... fighters doing fighter shit, Growlers and F-35 slaying SAM sites. Meanwhile, the EP-3 is burning holes in the sky, orbiting 200 miles away from the fight, issuing irrelevant TACREPs because the Growlers called the same SAM site active 15 minutes ago.

I spent years flying in a "large crew atmosphere" in a 40+ year old platform. I much prefer the freedom of of strapping on one of the Navy's newest jets, getting shot off the pointy end of the ship, and doing good work for God and country. Please, consider Growlers. PM me if you want to discuss. :)

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
W
I dont think the community will go away. I would be shocked if the navy said "we don't need our own SIGINT platform anymore". If anything the community would continue on albeit with different aircraft and systems.

Other food for thought, squadron at one time had a DH who elected to transition from the EP3 to the P8 community as he was at a point where he I guess was given a choice and chose to leave rather than gamble with staying. I'm sure the option would come up again, as I cant imagine there's a surplus of pilots and NFOs in that community.
Wasn’t a choosing per se. For the last few years (at least 5) DH and CO slates in MPRA have been combined for VP and VQ. Not sure exactly when the combination happened, but my guess would be probably around 2013/14 after VQ-2 went away. You rank them on your slate regardless of your JO background. VP guys can go VQ for DH and vice versa, however in practice haven’t seen any non VQ NFOs get VQ for DH. Different story on the pilot side. Simply due to pure numbers, lots of VQ NFOs end up having to go VP for DH.

murph99

Going to a platform that is sundowning soon that has no crewed replacement is just asking for all kinds of headaches (guaranteed) and potentially career limiting outcomes. Please, I'm begging you, consider other platforms. Even if you think that a "large crew atmosphere" will be to your liking, that will be cold comfort if the community dissolves before you're senior enough to be qualified to lead such a crew. Consider that other more viable "crew atmospheres" are available to you.

As was mentioned previously, if you like EW and being in a community where NFOs are valued, consider VAQ. You are arguably working with an even bigger team - you're just in different aircraft, and talking over a radio instead of ICS. Nothing more satisfying than being part of a well-executed large force strike... fighters doing fighter shit, Growlers and F-35 slaying SAM sites. Meanwhile, the EP-3 is burning holes in the sky, orbiting 200 miles away from the fight, issuing irrelevant TACREPs because the Growlers called the same SAM site active 15 minutes ago.

I spent years flying in a "large crew atmosphere" in a 40+ year old platform. I much prefer the freedom of of strapping on one of the Navy's newest jets, getting shot off the pointy end of the ship, and doing good work for God and country. Please, consider Growlers. PM me if you want to discuss. :)
Growlers would be absolutely awesome. Should've mentioned it in my original comment, but I'm anthro'd out of the damn T-45 :(
It's between EP-3/P-8/E-2/E-6. I'm interested in EW/SIGINT far more than any of the other mission sets so EP-3 was at the top of the list, but I can't keep it there if 2025 is the end of the road. Instructors have told me there are rumors of another extension to 2030, but nothing is for certain. It'd be easier to close the door on them if the Navy's plan was guaranteed. This forum has posts dating back to nearly 2005 with talk of EP-3 sundown dates, yet here they still are. How far in advance are aircraft sundowns typically set in stone? Say 2025 is guaranteed, would the number of EP-3s be incrementally drawn down prior to the 2025 date or is that date when all aircraft stop flying/start to stop flying?

Mos

None
Growlers would be absolutely awesome. Should've mentioned it in my original comment, but I'm anthro'd out of the damn T-45 :(
It's between EP-3/P-8/E-2/E-6. I'm interested in EW/SIGINT far more than any of the other mission sets so EP-3 was at the top of the list, but I can't keep it there if 2025 is the end of the road. Instructors have told me there are rumors of another extension to 2030, but nothing is for certain. It'd be easier to close the door on them if the Navy's plan was guaranteed. This forum has posts dating back to nearly 2005 with talk of EP-3 sundown dates, yet here they still are. How far in advance are aircraft sundowns typically set in stone? Say 2025 is guaranteed, would the number of EP-3s be incrementally drawn down prior to the 2025 date or is that date when all aircraft stop flying/start to stop flying?
The P-8 has evolving EW capabilities, even though it's not the sole mission set, so you'd get a taste of it if you went that route.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In that case, I'd go VP. I would not gamble your career on the exact timing of a platform sundown. Knowing what I know now, even if VQ were an enduring option, I'd go VP. The ELINT/SIGINT mission, as performed by VQ, just seems mind-numbing compared to what is available on other platforms. I know others will chime in to the contrary, but that aircraft is basically just pumping intel into the ether to be consumed (or ignored) by other entities up-echelon. No weapons to employ, no dynamic flying... wake me up when it's all over. :D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The P-8 has evolving EW capabilities, even though it's not the sole mission set, so you'd get a taste of it if you went that route.
Don't get me started. :) As currently fielded, the EW capability on the P-8 is more of a novelty than anything of tactical utility. Tell me I'm wrong. :D

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
This thread is a trainwreck.

No pilot should want to go EP-3 now. That’s like a 16 year old getting a driver’s license and saying he wants a ratted-out Model T as his first car.

Better plan: Go straight stick VP, get good flight time, all that “large crew leadership” experience you crave, probably dip your toes into things flying AAS, and not have to live the boat life. Then, if you really, desperately want to do some of those other mission sets you think you’d like in VQ-land, you can slide over to VPU or VUP or any of the half dozen other places that do them but currently only take guys with P-8 experience.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This thread is a trainwreck.

No pilot should want to go EP-3 now. That’s like a 16 year old getting a driver’s license and saying he wants a ratted-out Model T as his first car.

Better plan: Go straight stick VP, get good flight time, all that “large crew leadership” experience you crave, probably dip your toes into things flying AAS, and not have to live the boat life. Then, if you really, desperately want to do some of those other mission sets you think you’d like in VQ-land, you can slide over to VPU or VUP or any of the half dozen other places that do them but currently only take guys with P-8 experience.
BTW, welcome back. :D When was the last time you posted here?

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Its all heresay as I'm both not a pilot and not VQ, but I have heard that the pilots currently in the EP3 are flying their tails off and achieving the hour minimum far earlier than P-8s. Maybe its just our squadron dealing with a long running backlog, but since I have been in my tour I can count maybe 2 to 4 people that reached 500 or 600 hours (whatever the min is) before their month 24 started. Hope it is different in the other squadrons. The wing goal of an 18 month PPC is a joke.

robav8r

None
Contributor
It's gonna be interesting to watch how Minotaur and the Terrestrial Networks evolve and integrate into the EP-3 transition . . . .