• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Woohoo...finally a 1st class swimmer!

Raptor2216

I think this is about the happiest day of my life so far because I just passed 1st class after 6+months of swimming. I wish I had known exactlly what the test encompassed before I came to TBS so that I could have done something about it before arriving here. So, for those of you who are not good swimmers or non-swimmers like I was, get in the pool and learn to do atleast the breast stroke, back stroke and side stroke.

The hardest thing for me was the breast stroke, which I just couldn't do until I worked on my backstroke kick. It was a complete 180 and the breast stoke kick came real easy after that almost over night. Just something else any future hopefull's may want to consider to make your life a whole lot easier at TBS.

Junior

pilot
I am absolutely convinced the swimming at TBS is a complete haze ex. Especially for those who have to get the first class; it can get pretty ridiculous.

Raptor2216

I am absolutely convinced the swimming at TBS is a complete haze ex. Especially for those who have to get the first class; it can get pretty ridiculous.

That totally depends of the instructors. I can tell you with complete certainty that the current staff is not out to haze you at all. If anything, they help you out quite a bit. However, I have know some other staff members who weren't so generous. Just depends on when you get here and if luck is on your side.

Fongabonga

pilot
Congrats!!! I also am a proud 'took 6 months to get 1st class' swimmer. I remember it well, felt like the weight of the world off my shoulders. Now work on your swimming for API as well, good luck and congrats again!

thorman

pilot
It took me an extra 6 months of swimming at TBS too. My advice is to keep swimming and start working on treading water. When I got to API I could swim, but almost failed because I could not tread water while wearing flight gear.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
For all you pre-TBS/API bubbas out there, make sure you get with someone who recently went through the program to learn the many nuances of proper "technique" of swimming. At TBS, the strokes don't count unless you do them the "proper" way. More relaxed at API, but the concept remains true. Try to avoid practicing bad habits.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
You are definitely going to have...fun...swimming at API. Good luck.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

haha...dont tease him. Try not to freak out if you feel yourself going under in full flight gear like me. Just be a man and scream like a sissy.

flyerstud4

I think this is about the happiest day of my life so far because I just passed 1st class after 6+months of swimming. I wish I had known exactlly what the test encompassed before I came to TBS so that I could have done something about it before arriving here. So, for those of you who are not good swimmers or non-swimmers like I was, get in the pool and learn to do atleast the breast stroke, back stroke and side stroke.

The hardest thing for me was the breast stroke, which I just couldn't do until I worked on my backstroke kick. It was a complete 180 and the breast stoke kick came real easy after that almost over night. Just something else any future hopefull's may want to consider to make your life a whole lot easier at TBS.

Hey i am headed to TBS in a month. What is the test like? are you timed in the different types of swim techniques? Why such a long wait?

Raptor2216

Hey i am headed to TBS in a month. What is the test like? are you timed in the different types of swim techniques? Why such a long wait?

Well, you have to go all the way from class 4 to class 1. Class 4 though class 2
are done with gear(flak/LBV/weapon) and class 1 is done just in your cammies. I was a horrible swimmer at the start of TBS and even I made it to class 3.

Class 2 is a little bit tougher but not undoable. You have to use either the back storke, breast stroke or side storke and swim 50m in gear(flak, kevlar, weapon, LBV). Then you have to do a buddy tow for 25m, whicle your buddy uses 2 packs stuffed under his arms to stay afloat and you pull him by holding on to his collar or whatever. If you absolutely can't swim then you will most likely have trouble with this. I found that the back storke is the easiest one to use for class 2...especially the 50m swim portion.

For class 1, you have to be able to do the three strokes properly. I can't really expain what I mean by proper but you will see what I mean when you get here. You swim 25m and demonstrate that you can do each storke. After that you have to do 3 types of rescues. For the first rescue, you swim towards your victim, who is about 20m away from you, and when you are close enough, he will jump on your and try to drag you down. The victim is one of the instructors and they are just trying to simulate what an actual victim would do. You then have to break free using the proper technique and surface. Once you surface, you will have to pull the victim by the wrist 20meters using either the sidestroke kick or back stroke kick.

The second rescue is designed to show you what can happen if a wave hits you and you end up facing away from the victim. So, again you will swim about 20m towards the victim and when you are about 6-8' away from the victim, you have to turn around so you can't seem him. When you get close enough, the victim will jump on you. You then have to use the proper technique and break free and surface. This is the rescue that gives everyone trouble. You have to have a very strong backstroke kick in order to do this. rescue. Basically, you have to come behind the victim, level the victim off using both your arms at the surface and use the back stroke kick to move about 10m and then switch to the side stroke kick to go the rest of the way. This was the one I failed the first time but after working on my back stroke kick, I had no issues the second time.

The third rescue is the easiest. All you do is swim to the victim again but this time the victim will just grab your. You then have to use the technique they teach you to break free, which is easy. After that, you just swim along side the victim to safety while he is using the breast stroke kick or whatever to swim next to you.

The final portion is a 250m swim using one of the three or a combination of the three strokes. Again, the back stroke is the easiest for this as well. I can say though that I now feel way more comfortable in the water than I ever have. I spent a lot of time trying to learn the breast stroke but my kick never had any power, until I worked on the backstorke using a board and just kicking. Within a day, I was able to put down the board and move all the way from one end of the pool to the other using just the kick...something I had never been able to do before. It also taught me the breast stroke kick, which I can do well now. I also couldn't tread water using just my legs prior to this and sure enough, I can now. For me, all this would not have happened if I hadn't practiced the backstroke kick with the board.

So, in a nutshell, that's what swim is all about at TBS.

flyerstud4

"I think this is about the happiest day of my life so far because I just passed 1st class after 6+months of swimming"

After you didnt pass the swim test, do you continue training in your current company and then take the test again before you grad?