• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Woman + Subs

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
It may be a sub but humans are humans. I doubt there will be many that get pregnant but it's inevitable that some will. As for where, I've been on a sub and it's small but horny people can figure out some crafty ways to get it on. It doesn't mean women can't do good work on subs because they can and will. As has been mentioned it'll be interesting if and when someone says she's pregnant about two months into a three month strategic patrol.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
It may be a sub but humans are humans. I doubt there will be many that get pregnant but it's inevitable that some will. As for where, I've been on a sub and it's small but horny people can figure out some crafty ways to get it on. It doesn't mean women can't do good work on subs because they can and will. As has been mentioned it'll be interesting if and when someone says she's pregnant about two months into a three month strategic patrol.

And that's really about all there is to say about it.

Now, on the lighter side...

... it'll be interesting if and when someone says she's pregnant about two months into a three month strategic patrol.

163282503_4537dd6119.jpg

"The computer says 'magma displacement' and 'seismic anomaly,' but I thought I heard... vomiting."

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

You do bring up a good point. Being a P-3/P-8 type, I don't have any relevant shipboard experience to comment on any applicable regulations there, but all I know at least for my plane is the 3710 reg that says I can fly up through the end of my 2nd trimester if I were to get pregnant. This is an oversimplification of the rule, multiple conditions apply, but at the end of the day barring any issues I could fly up to this point. What kind of rules are there for SWO/sub types here?

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
You do bring up a good point. Being a P-3/P-8 type, I don't have any relevant shipboard experience to comment on any applicable regulations there, but all I know at least for my plane is the 3710 reg that says I can fly up through the end of my 2nd trimester if I were to get pregnant. This is an oversimplification of the rule, multiple conditions apply, but at the end of the day barring any issues I could fly up to this point. What kind of rules are there for SWO/sub types here?

On a surface ship, and especially on a sub, medical facilities do not exist for proper prenatal care. It is a risk for mom and baby to have them there for an extended time. In my not so limited experience, women who "pop positive" are generally sent to the shore det or some other shore based command.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Unfortunately, there aren't many "safe" methods for retrieving mom-to-be from the surfaced ballistic missile submarine "that's supposed to be hiiiiiiding" aside from hoisting her into a helo from the pitching deck or transferring her to a RHIB (at night, in rolling seas).

I only ever operated with a surfaced sub once, and it was a logistical pain in the ass. No one would tell us exaactly where the sub would be until we were 25 minutes late for our on-top.

Mew

So what I don't understand is there are very very effective methods of birth control for example an IUD is 99.9% effective it gets put in once and is there and is good for five years, so why are there so many un-expected surprises?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TACAIR = no flying if pregnant. As for non-fliers, I've seen ship COs policy to get them off the ship ASAP. That's their prerogative, even though the instruction allows them to stay until ~20 weeks.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
So what I don't understand is there are very very effective methods of birth control for example an IUD is 99.9% effective it gets put in once and is there and is good for five years, so why are there so many un-expected surprises?
Because not everyone uses the same and most reliable forms of birth control. For instance, forms of hormonal birth control that are stronger than the mirena IUD actually make me sick. Aside from physical inability to handle some forms of BC, religious reasons can also come into play. Besides, no form of BC other than abstinence is truly 100% effective. Heck, I know someone who got pregnant and she had an IUD!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is that a rhetorical question? In case you haven't noticed, there are quite a few unwanted pregnancies in this country. The fact that contraceptives are available doesn't mean people will use them (or use them properly).

Mew

Because not everyone uses the same and most reliable forms of birth control. For instance, forms of hormonal birth control that are stronger than the mirena IUD actually make me sick. Aside from physical inability to handle some forms of BC, religious reasons can also come into play. Besides, no form of BC other than abstinence is truly 100% effective. Heck, I know someone who got pregnant and she had an IUD!

The IUD was just an example, there are lots of options and while yes nothing is perfect it is certainly better than doing the naughty and whishing.

Is that a rhetorical question? In case you haven't noticed, there are quite a few unwanted pregnancies in this country. The fact that contraceptives are available doesn't mean people will use them (or use them properly).

Yes there are but in theory every women going onto a sub is at least smarter than the average cookie and has health insurance something two major factors in this case I would hope that as population the navy can do better.

exNavyOffRec

TACAIR = no flying if pregnant. As for non-fliers, I've seen ship COs policy to get them off the ship ASAP. That's their prerogative, even though the instruction allows them to stay until ~20 weeks.

I was at a command with that policy as well, it really screws with the watch rotation.

exNavyOffRec

Maybe the sub community can do it better, but on the surface side (and aviation at times), it's a maternity ward, often right before deployment.

I have seen it swing one way then another, I think command climate is a factor, some see it as a quick way to leave the command, the first batch of females that arrived in our department not a single one made it to their PRD, most pregnancies, a few not, eventually the pregnancy levels kind of leveled off where I was at to losses comparible to male losses.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The IUD was just an example, there are lots of options and while yes nothing is perfect it is certainly better than doing the naughty and whishing.

Yes there are but in theory every women going onto a sub is at least smarter than the average cookie and has health insurance something two major factors in this case I would hope that as population the navy can do better.
I think you're giving people waaaaay too much credit. We'd all like to believe that our people will do the right thing 100% of the time. Experience would suggest otherwise.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
There is a lot of talk about pregnancy on this thread, but not much about the misconduct that would have to occur to get to that point. Any pregnancy that occurs after departure from wherever should have serious disciplinary consequences -- and not only for the woman. It takes two to tango, and some comments make it sound as though pregnancy is the woman's 'fault' or 'problem' for lack of a better term.

You've got 10 years AD time...you tell me.

My bet is that sooner, rather than later, nature will take over and run its course and someone will either go on patrol and need medevac'd for an unknown prior pregnancy, or otherwise normal people will be placed in an extraordinary situation coupled with an unnatural amount of close contact and shit will happen, as it tends to.