• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wings for all my friends

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
MARADMIN 091-11

AUTHORIZATION TO AWARD NAVAL AVIATION OBSERVER WINGS TO DIRECT AIR SUPPORT CENTER (AIRBORNE) QUALIFIED MARINES

3. THE PRESENTATION OF NAVAL AVIATION OBSERVER WINGS TO QUALIFIED MARINES, INCLUDING RETROACTIVE AWARDING OF THIS DEVICE, IS AUTHORIZED UPON RELEASE OF THIS MARADMIN. ELIGIBLE PERSONNEL MUST:

A. POSSESS THE FOLLOWING MOS: 7202 (AIR COMMAND AND CONTROL OFFICER), 7208 (AIR SUPPORT CONTROL OFFICER), 7242 (AIR SUPPORT OPERATIONS OPERATOR) OR 5939 (AVIATION COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEM TECHNICIAN).

B. BE ASSIGNED TO DUTY INVOLVING FLIGHT FOR A MINIMUM OF SIX MONTHS.

C. HAVE ACCUMULATED 100 HOURS OF FLIGHT TIME DIRECTLY RELATED TO AIRBORNE AIR SUPPORT CONTROL OPERATIONS.

4. AWARDING AUTHORITY RESIDES AT THE SQUADRON COMMANDER LEVEL.

5. AIRBORNE AIR SUPPORT CONTROL OPERATIONS CONDUCTED IN A COMBAT ENVIRONMENT SHALL WARRANT SPECIAL CONSIDERATION FOR THE AWARDING OF THE NAVAL AVIATION OBSERVER DEVICE. ACCORDINGLY, REQUIREMENTS FOUND IN PARAGRAPH 3 MAY BE WAIVED BY MARINE AIR WING COMMANDING GENERALS FOR COMBAT PERFORMANCE ONLY.

e47242

Does this make people mad? I actually rate this according to the MARDMIN. Funny thing is I'm working towards Naval Aviator wings currently....I love RIs.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I'm about 15 hours short of certified DASC(A) time, but I'm not really sure this was the right thing for HQMC to do. But I'm out now, so it doesn't really affect me. There are, however, some giant cocksukers who probably already have their wings in hand as of this morning. Sure, I guess they will rate it by thi MARADMIN, and I might have encouraged some enlisted folks to pursue it. But I can think of about half a dozen shitheads from the DASC who are going to be bragging about this nonstop. I will pass, I think.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
As a former DASC guy with time in the uyq-3a I'm a little bit perplexed. Can the ground DASC guys wear something too? After all it's not a completely different skill set. And gaijin is absolutely right. That's all I'm gonna say. Good for them I guess.

teabag53

pilot
Does this make people mad? I actually rate this according to the MARDMIN. Funny thing is I'm working towards Naval Aviator wings currently....I love RIs.

I'm now in the 'don't care' dept after a bit of initial confusion. I thought these were the aircrew wings our AO's wear and now understand them to be something different.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
It doesn't make me mad but I think it cheapens them for our aircrew that actually have an impact/role WRT safe operations and mission accomplishment. I get that DASC(A) is role in a mission but the person(s) filling the role doesn't keep the plane flying.

Whatever...
No opinion on giving the NAO wings but they aren't the same as NAC wings.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
It doesn't make me mad but I think it cheapens them for our aircrew that actually have an impact/role WRT safe operations and mission accomplishment. I get that DASC(A) is role in a mission but the person(s) filling the role doesn't keep the plane flying.

Whatever...

This is what burns me, and I'm a DASC guy. Ok, former/now reserve DASC guy. It has been a vital part of the MACCS and MAGTF in the past, but in the end, it's just a big damn box in the back of the plane. We might sit in on the brief, or watch the loading and hookup of the UYQ to ensure it doesn't get dropped too many times. But in the end, we're just PAX. As someone who's done a bit of DASC(A), I've always offered my help and the help of my DASC(A) crew to that of the aircraft, with the explicit caveat that we were staying the hell out of the way until they ask for something.

I've seen people going through the actual NAO syllabus, and while there might be a few people willing to get their hands dirty and really be a part of the crew, they're few and far between. Especially when it comes to some officers I've met that are just trying to get something shiny for their uniforms. But god forbid they have to crawl around and get dirty to find where the hell that hyd fluid is leaking from. On the other hand, our intel guy in 2008 was an awesome example of how--in my opinion--to go about it right.

This is somewhat of a moot point, I think, as there was, as of six months ago, no way for the UYQ-3Bs to connect to the KC-130J, which kind of killed the whole DASC(A) thing. There were a few ideas being thrown around to correct this, but nothing was ever paid for to my knowledge.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Sounds like there is some confusion brewing, AO wings have a plain disc with a centered anchor, both are seperate insignia.

KBayDog

This is somewhat of a moot point, I think, as there was, as of six months ago, no way for the UYQ-3Bs to connect to the KC-130J, which kind of killed the whole DASC(A) thing. There were a few ideas being thrown around to correct this, but nothing was ever paid for to my knowledge.

The solution was to put some freakin' missiles on the Herc.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Armed USMC Hercs was/is a badass idea. We caught a .ppt of it in 2008, right after we had blown the living hell out of a bunch of Tommy Taliban's sleep away camp structures on our role through Garmsir. That system would have made us some money.

I think everyone realizes the difference between the two devices, but I question the decision to award them to DASC(A) folks. I suppose you could argue either way, and it's really not going to affect me unless they convince me to continue in the reserves. Actually, let me amend that by saying that I think everyone HERE realizes the difference. The facebook mafia of DASC peoples have already been going on about this one, and there are people--admittedly a minority--in my former community who will wear them as though they were Naval Air Crew wings.

IRT Hobo Chaff: I'd rather dump a $ or two in nickels, than have to pay for an attorney to argue my justifiable homicide case. Alas, I can't take credit for the expression. I saw it referenced on another forum, and appropriated it. Where they found it (other than urban dictionary), I have no idea.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
If they want to act like they are actual flight crew, they should get some old school Flight Engineers to have them earn their keep by scrubbing down the cargo combartment and emptying the honey bucket.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
A couple of the folks I'm thinking of wouldn't be the best choice for that. They'd either screw it up so royally, or make it so stupidly overcomplicated that aircrew retention rates would plummet obscenely, probably at or below DASC rates.

Then again, maybe that's what this is about. Something to entice retention a bit. With 202k complete and in regression, gone are the bonuses that 7242s used to receive. Two years ago, they were $82k with a $10k kicker for remaining with a deployable unit (capped to $90k, I believe) for a Zone 1 Sgt. Now, they're sub-$20k I think. Although, we were still seeing guys turn that down, thanks to 1 year on/1 off deployments and people like my former Det OIC. But that's another story.