• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Will the USA Invade Iran?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Doesn't ring a bell, but Snort was XO/CO of VF-33 and dept head in VF-143 so it could have been either one of those squadrons.

That's it, he was with the Pukin Dogs when Snodgrass was a DH.

corvairdroptop

I've heard many contradictions on the missile question. I think the consensus is that their AIM-54s were useful against Iraq, but that their remaining supply is not very large or trustworthy.

I've heard plenty of speculation about their ability to reverse engineer the technology (along with their other missile systems, e.g. Silkworm and C-802).

I think their affiliation with both China and Russia is a major issue. Unpredictable governments with big friends are never good (First World War).

NUFO06

None
There is always the question of Israel. For about two years Israel and Iran have been going back and forth with threatening each other. But since December we have heard nothing from the Israeli government. Last we heard was that Israel would never allow a Nuclear Iran and that they were prepared to go it alone. The US has already supplied Israel with the advanced bombs (last summer), some of the Dems tried to stop the shipments. Could anyone see something like Israel bombing there facilities and Iran striking us, bringing us to war.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Sounds like what they are alluding to is something like that Israeli F-16 strike on Iraq that is so famous.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are already a half dozen threads about this very topic. Do we really need to re-hash this issue again?

Brett

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Woo, speculation! In that case, I heard something about their Tomcats being totally useless due to total lack of trained maintenance personnel and spare parts.

Don't be too sure of that. Aviation Week has reported that the Iranian F-14 fleet, although critically short of OEM spares - has shown remarkable staying power. The Iranians have been VERY creative as far as engine parts for their TF30's. India and China have reportedly delivered newly manufactured engine spares.

The Phoenix missle inventory has apparently been kept alive with batteries (I guess this is a component that wears out frequently) from China.

Added to that a sophisticated aerospace industry - I'm guessing IIAF Tomcats still have some teeth left, albeit in reduced numbers.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Does it matter if they can fly or not? Any attack we would make on Iran would surely involve destroying the Iranian Air Force on the ground...

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
We better have one f*cking good SEAD plan - or a ton of Tomahawks!!

Besides you have to give these Hornet drivers something to do
:)

schwarti

Contributor
I didn't know they were so creative with jury-rigging. Anyway, looks like the rumor mill is wrong. That's gotta be a first.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does it matter if they can fly or not? Any attack we would make on Iran would surely involve destroying the Iranian Air Force on the ground...

Do you realize how big Iran is? You also forget that a good chunk of the Iraqi Air Force survived the entire Gulf War (though they were not combat effective), and I am not counting the ones that fled to Iran. Never underestimate your enemy, the Iranians are very creative and resourceful.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
10/0/2 Loadout

A section of Superhornets loaded 10/0/2 will reduce that number substantially further.

Feasible, even on a Charlie model, but slight overkill. 4/0/2 will do the job and free up stations for, uh, er, gas maybe??