• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Will the USA Invade Iran?

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
Whatever happens, Iran definitely won't go down like Iraq did. It has a far larger, better trained and better equipped military. Hell, they even have some F-14s back when we used to be buddy-buddy...

NUFO06

None
Who knows? I agree with above, that it wont go down the same way, esp politically. Congress will have to be dragged into this one by an escalation of force. President Bush could drive a warhead from Iran to the steps of congress as proof but the Dems still wouldnt vote for war. I wish the international community had some balls so we wouldnt be at this point. I would guess there might be a naval blockade of Iran, maybe a surgical strike on the nuke plants.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
Last edited by skidkid : 04-09-2007 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Spam, trickier and more creative delivery system but spam nonetheless

Damn, that was going to be an interesting topic, too.

schwarti

Contributor
Woo, speculation! In that case, I heard something about their Tomcats being totally useless due to total lack of trained maintenance personnel and spare parts.

MasterBates

Woo, speculation! In that case, I heard something about their Tomcats being totally useless due to total lack of trained maintenance personnel and spare parts.

I'll tell you what.. You can go fly a T-34 against a poorly maintained F-14 and let me know how it goes... :D

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Persian Cats

Ah...that would make sense, since you can't exactly buy Tomcat parts on eBay. Or can you?

Tomcat is now in Demil Code D meaning Total destruction so unless Tomcats are at AMARC or in a museum/static display setting, they are ground up and all useable parts recycled into NAVICP system by SARDIP personnel. Congress is stepping in to ensure no stray parts find their way to Iran. Museums that didn't keep a close watch on their Tomcats are losing them so Iran can't harvest parts from them. The Feds have been picking up middlemen trying to purchase parts for the Iranian Tomcats.

As to their serviceability, Iran claims to have developed indeginous capability to support their Tomcats (79 delivered in late seventies). They have plenty to rob for parts, but journalists have seen them standing alert and large formations have been filmed during military pagents. See this link for more on the Persian Cats.

Attachments

• Iranian Tomcats.jpg
    Iranian Tomcats.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 109

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

Not to long ago, something like 20+ Tomcats were pictured flying together. Others have much better info than me however. Their F-14's, according to some, decimated the Iraqi air force in the first few years of their 8 year war. They were not totally useless. Of course now, even if they could put a bunch up for a fly over doesn't mean they are combat ready and capable.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Tomcat is now in Demil Code D meaning Total destruction so unless Tomcats are at AMARC or in a museum/static display setting, they are ground up and all useable parts recycled into NAVICP system by SARDIP personnel. Congress is stepping in to ensure no stray parts find their way to Iran. Museums that didn't keep a close watch on their Tomcats are losing them so Iran can't harvest parts from them. The Feds have been picking up middlemen trying to purchase parts for the Iranian Tomcats.

As to their serviceability, Iran claims to have developed indeginous capability to support their Tomcats (79 delivered in late seventies). They have plenty to rob for parts, but journalists have seen them standing alert and large formations have been filmed during military pagents. See this link for more on the Persian Cats.

Good stuff. Do you happen to know my boss, D-Day? CDR Lucas is his "real" name. He was a RIO then F-14 pilot. First tour was with ?, can't remember. Snodgrass was in the squadron so you might know which one.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good stuff. Do you happen to know my boss, D-Day? CDR Lucas is his "real" name. He was a RIO then F-14 pilot. First tour was with ?, can't remember. Snodgrass was in the squadron so you might know which one.

Doesn't ring a bell, but Snort was XO/CO of VF-33 and dept head in VF-143 so it could have been either one of those squadrons.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Not so much, the Iranians have become very creative and innovative in trying to maintain their US supplied equipment. Now, what they would consider an 'up' bird and what we would consider one are two completely different things.........