• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Will I get sent home for being too skinny?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
He can be as happy as he wants, but the flight doc will not be.

Creatine is completely legal for use in the military, it just isn't while in a flight status, so until he ships to OCS, he can use it. He can use it at TBS, unless otherwise prohibited. He can use it all he wants until checking in to A pool.

And just FYI, on my last flight physical, my flight doc told me Creatine was in the works to be approved for flight status. Is that true? Who knows, but I figured a flight doc was the best source of gouge about approved meds while in a flight status, so we'll see.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
+1 on the muscle milk. it's the only protein shake i've had that actually tastes descent. try the dark chocolate flavor and throw a banana and some peanut butter in there and you're all set.

The EAS Myoplex drink is pretty good protein drink. The stawberry was the only flavor I ever got.

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
From the U.S. Navy Aeromedical Reference and Waiver Guide:

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/nomi/nami/arwg/Documents/Waiver%20Guide%20-%20Supplements.pdf

2. Protein Supplementation (form of shakes, capsules, nutrition bars):

Use in Aircrew: Aircrew may supplement their diet with supplemental protein in the form of protein shakes, protein bars, or capsules, provided that the protein supplement does not contain supplements listed under Class C (creatine, ephedra, herbals, steroids) and the TOTAL amount of protein the aircrew member consumes does not exceed 2 times the RDA value (1.58g/kg or .72 g/lb per day). Physicians must take into account the amount of protein coming from normal dietary sources (usually 12-15% of total calories comes from protein).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Creatine is completely legal for use in the military, it just isn't while in a flight status, so until he ships to OCS, he can use it. He can use it at TBS, unless otherwise prohibited. He can use it all he wants until checking in to A pool.

Correct, but what triggered the question about creatin was:

MIDJAC said:
If you plan on using creatine, do it and stop it before you get to pcola. Not on the approved meds/supplements list for aviation.

Followed by someone saying it's okay in moderation and someone saying a doc was cool w/ it. So to just restate what MIDNJAC and PerDiem are getting at, people should know that as of now, it's not authorized in a flight status (where the OP said he was heading, eventually).

p1brule

Frenchy
pilot
Phrost,

I read through most of the responses and didn't see any actual Marines responding to your post. Fact is, if you're solid in PT, not grotesquely anorexic, and your OSO approved you to go to OCS, they're not going to send you home for that. It's a LEADERSHIP evaluation. You go there and dick away your indoc PFT, then you're ass is on the next flight back to Hoboken.

Eat well. Don't make excuses. Hard boil eggs to take to eat during the day when you're "busy". Trust me, as a Marine officer, there is plenty of times where you don't have time.

The height weight standards are a "standard", not a requirement. I think I've been outside of them since I've been in the Marine Corps. Run a first class, no one gives a shit.

Finally, be careful with creatine. Supplements are illegal at OCS. I'm not saying don't take them before, just be mindful of what you're putting in your body. Seeing that you're only a couple weeks out, stop with creatine. It severely dehydrates your body, and since you're going in the summer months, that should be a very big concern. You should start hydrating your body and setting it up for the rigors ahead.

good luck.

Frenchy.

KW83

It was a flight doc. I am also not flying yet since I haven't even been to OCS, hence the perfectly legal use of creatine at this time. And you are also correct about the use of supplements at OCS, but the problem right now is how to get weight up before OCS, and there is no prohibition of creatine or protein before (or after) OCS. As for dehydration, you are also right. It is not as bad as caffeine but you are still right. However, creatine can be good for muscle growth because all that water that it deprives the rest of your body goes to your muscles. It isn't quite like caffeine which is a straight up diuretic. It doesn't severely dehydrate you but do be smart and hydrate. Creatine is actually found naturally in meat. The reason for its prohibition at OCS is very likely (not for sure) for medical purposes, they don't want you dropping out there because you took something and committed an integrity violation. Don't use it there. It's pretty black and white. I am not an actual Marine, but I did do my homework before posting this. And yes, Muscle Milk is delicious. Everything else I've ever had tastes like poo poo (I didn't do homework on that).

MasterBates

I was a guinea pig for creatine for the powers that be, and if taken in "normal" doses, you will be OK IF and that's a BIG HUGE FREAKING IF you stay hydrated.

I was in a flight status, but was taking it with Flight Surgeon approval and was noted in my record.

It helped me with recovery time post gym, but for those teetering on the upper weight limit, it's gonna put you over (you better be able to rope-n-choke or whatever the USMC does for BF determination if over max weight).

I was drinking 2-3 gallons of water a day if not more, and was also taking whey protein.

If/when it's approved, I'll probably go back to taking it (with FS consent/knowledge) but just in a normal "help me recover from gym" amount. No loading, triple dosing, etc. Those are the mechs that I saw go down for dehydration on cruise, were the guys taking massive levels of creatine NOx and such.

Just like RedBull or Monsters, within reason it's not bad for you..

But if you drink a case of Monster a day and that's all you drink, It's probably not so good for you.