• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why USMC using obsolete M-16 in Iraq?

HueyCobra8151

pilot
ChuckMK23 said:
I guess the heart of the matter though is no infantryman needs to engage a target over say 250 yards....

They were doing it routinely at the checkpoints along the MSR surrounding Fallujah.

Lawman

None
Fly Navy said:
Don't know what their problem was, my M4orgery is tight and secure.

Sounds kinda like those older M249's you see with Zip ties holding them together.

Grant

Ok, probably a stupid question, but...

What exactly is the difference between a "carbine" and "rifle". Over the years, I've heard all sorts of definitions, none of which jive with each other. One of my buddies swears that a "carbine" is a lever-action rifle that uses handgun rounds (ala .357 Mag/.38 Spl, .44 Mag, .45 Colt). Another says that it is merely a difference in barrel length, and has nothing to do with the cartridge used.

Whats yalls take on this?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Has to do with a combination of overall size of the rifle and barrel length. Typically, a 16" barrel or shorter is a carbine (some will include 18" barrels in their definition). A 20" or greater is a full-size rifle.

Your buddy is not necessary wrong, but his definition only applies to a specific category and time period of firearms.

Lawman

None
Its basically become whatever name the Company puts on it. The CX4 Storm for example is designated a pistol caliber Carbine, while the XM-15E3 with Collapsable stock and short barrel is a rifle caliber carbine. Go back 200 years and a Carbine was the kind of weapon you'd see cavalrymen carrying. Where a rifle cartridge was needed for the power requirements but a rifle was to unweildy to be fired while on a mount, enter the "Horse Pistol."

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
M-16 Pics

Here are some pics from a day at the range yesterday...

M-16A2 and an M-4 Carbine. Both were real light and easy to shoot in body armor. Barrel guards on M-4 are removable to add "accessories". Does heat up a bit after a lot of shooting.

Short rifle with adjustable stock is the M-4. M-16 has a laser sight near the forward sight.

And that is not my target... :) I swear I have a better grouping.

r/
G

a2a40iu.jpg

a2a421vu.jpg

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry to correct you sir, but that's an M-4. The M-16A4 is a 20" M-16 (like the M-16A2) with some of the more gucci toys, like removable carry handle, accessory rails, etc. The long one is an M-16A2.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
long one is an M16A2, while the short one is an M4

A4's are flattops with rail systems

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Ah, yes. The defense rests ... I couldn't have said it any better if I'd tried .... :)

haha...now that is a fine performance of quoting-part-of-the-film-critic's-quote-to-put-on-the-movie-box right there!!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Rep points for that A4s . . . nicely done.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would like to say that whoever made that report on CNN was a moron. The M-4 IS an M-16, but with a shorter barrel and collapsable stock. All the gucci toys of an M-4 can be used on a full size M-16. The internals are exactly the same (except for the full-auto version of the M-4 of course, slightly different). There is nothing new about the M-4. It's just smaller. Compare the M-16 to the G-36 or SIG 500 series to compare firearm technologies. Still, they're all gas operated rifles... technology that is almost a century year old.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
I would like to say that whoever made that report on CNN was a moron. The M-4 IS an M-16...........There is nothing new about the M-4.....
So the report hinted that the Marines are not armed as well as Army grunts?? Because they have M-16 rifles instead of M-4 carbines ??? I didn't see the CNN report --- try to make that a habit, but what you say makes sense based on past experience with CNN. Which is why I seldom rely on CNN for anything these days. Always "good for morale" (*cynicism here*) when the media speculates about "old" equipment thrust on the troops .... but CNN wouldn't do that, would they?? Have an agenda ???

Can you say .... "Operation Tailwind" .... ??? How quickly people forget ....

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was at an Infantry battalion when they switched over to the M-16A4. It is a bit heavier which noone liked but shot really well and everyone was getting the "broomstick" handle in the front and other accourements. I liked that everyone had a peq-2 IR pointer on their rifle it made it very easy to get R/W Cas eyes on tgt at night and helped me get my bigger more powerful pointer on tgt as well

There are many reasons the Marine Corps went withe the A4 over the M-4. Many have been mentioned already and a few havent. The Marine Corps is built on marksmanship and if it cant shoot from the 500 yard line we probably arent going to field it in large numbers.
The other reason is not intuitive but very pertinent. Do not underestimate the SgtMaj mafia. You cant conduct close order drill with an M-4 and in many Marines minds it is drill that instills the discipline that helps make Marines. Most Sergeants Major are former DIs and Generals listen to them on things like this.